Is there anyone who makes a smaller AC30?

honeyiscool

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If weight is your only issue, you may look in to buying a head cabinet and transfer the electronics into that, so you're either only carry the 35 pound (guessing) head, and 25 pound (guessing) cabinet.

Or find a used AC30 1x12.

Or just go amp shopping. :D

• Members

I'm starting to realize that people consider 60 pounds to be light, and I don't.

You ask for advice, people give you advice (most of it good), then you act like a douche, and wonder why people think you're a prick. I don't get it. :idk:

• Members

The original post mentioned less than 50 pounds. What's hard to understand about that?

I've looked up almost all of the amps named in this thread. I'm sorry none of them fit my criteria, except maybe the AC4 but I doubt that thing puts out gig volume.

"I'm sorry, but the amp that fits your criteria doesn't exist" would be a fine and acceptable response, it lets me look elsewhere.

• Members

You ask for advice, people give you advice (most of it good), then you act like a douche, and wonder why people think you're a prick. I don't get it.
:idk:

I think you're over-reading his post there, IMHO. "I'm starting to realize that people consider 60 pounds to be light, and I don't." If you take it at face value it's just an observation, nothing more than that.

EDIT: Nevermind, he's into the breach already, should've let him speak for himself!

Hell, I love my V22, and I'm sure it's easier to lug around than an AC30 2x12, but I'm glad I don't have to! That's not to say that other people should feel the same, or that I'm necessarily a wimp (though that's arguable in my case :rolleyes:), just what goes through my head when I see a V22 recommendation.

Head + cab might work, but yeah, even that is going to feel pretty bulky at times, if lots of lugging is in order. So maybe a good pedal? Surely won't get to 100% of what you want to hear (especially considering the importance of the speakers and cab configuration, which I too am convinced is key to the AC30 2x12 sound), but maybe an acceptable compromise. You'll find tons of "Vox in a box" pedal recommendations out there, sifting through them all can be trying (I started down that road and gave up), but if you can find a good solution your back will thank you mightily!

Best of luck with your search!

• Members

I own 5 Vox amps and I'm pretty sure I've got the Vox sound figured out. The best sounding Vox that I own is an AC30 made in England in 2003 just before they moved to China and Vietnam. It sounds like a Vox but it's a beast (75 pounds). The other Vox that has the correct tone is an AC 15 hand wired TV front amp made in China. It weighs in at 45 pounds. Here's the formula for real Vox tone:

1) obviously you need the correct circuit topology

2) birch ply cabinet (many of the Custom/custom classics are mdf, but not all)

3) tube rectification (again, only the hand wired Vietnamese versions have this at the moment)

4) Celestion Alnico Blue speaker (once again...)

If you have those features, it should sound like a Vox.

The TV front AC15 has tons of power. It's more like a 40 watt fender in this regard, but you'll have to find a used one (typically around $1200)

The hand wired Vietnamese amps are definitely worth a look, but I'd avoid most of the others if you really want signature tones.

• Members
The original post mentioned less than 50 pounds. What's hard to understand about that?

I've looked up almost all of the amps named in this thread. I'm sorry none of them fit my criteria, except maybe the AC4 but I doubt that thing puts out gig volume.

"I'm sorry, but the amp that fits your criteria doesn't exist" would be a fine and acceptable response, it lets me look elsewhere.

the one I mentioned weighs less than 40lbs.

• Members

My Valvetech VAC25 weighs ~65 lbs with a 12" ceramic speaker and a 10" AlNiCo. Considering a Hayseed is a WAY less complex circuit, and a 2x10" configuration makes the cabinet mucho smaller and lighter, I imagine the Hayseed 30 in 2x10" (15-30w speakers) configuration is likely right around your 50 lb target. With a 2x10, you're getting the complexity of two speakers with a lot less weight than a 2x12.

Interestingly, I was able to go from a 1x12 combo (Atomic Reactor 112), to a 10x12 combo (Valvetech VAC25) and lose weight (~75 lbs to ~65lbs) in the process. Sometimes it's not the name or number of components that matter as much as the cab and size of the speaker magnet.

• Members

Well, if you've researched all the options and none are less than 50 lbs, I guess you can't get there from here.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by photon9

View Post

One of the many factors in my decision to unload my AC30cc2 was that my Bugera V22 sounded as good or better... and was half the weight.

I was going to mention the V22, I like mine a lot but thought I would get shit mentioning Bugera. Mine has been reliable and has great tone. $350 all day long. There is a lot of amp there for that price.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by billybilly

View Post

I was going to mention the V22, I like mine a lot but thought I would get shit mentioning Bugera. Mine has been reliable and has great tone. $350 all day long. There is a lot of amp there for that price.

Well there's a lot of people missing out. I don't really care if anyone's gonna give me crap about it. I've probably got more hours on that amp than any I own and I love that amp. It's not good for the price... It's just damn good!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by billybilly

View Post

with the 2 that I've played thru, the clean channel had none of the sparkle or charm of a Vox and the gain channel was much more Fender/Marshall mix than AC30. Not to say that it was a bad sounding amp, though.

• Members

I use an AC30 head, and it weighs less than my AC15 w/ Alnico Blue. I don't have a scale handy, but I know from experience. Another option is to get your bandmates to help. I can't lift a whole lot of weight, so I get people to help me. Drummers are usually fairly strong.

I don't have the new blue AC4, but the old one, plugged into a bigger cab, will likely deliver the goods. Especially if you like your clean tone to have some breakup, which I think you've said that you do. I like my AC4 plugged in to my 2x12 a lot.

As for not giving the AC15 enough time - it's not the same amp as an AC30. The AC15 is rougher around the edges, and has its own character. I like having both options.

• Members

Laney does seem like the best option. I know it's impossible to ask, is Laney as good as Vox or whatever, and personally I understand it's all preference, but do you know what differences between the two I should expect?

Quote Originally Posted by billybilly View Post
The thing for me is I'm sure the Bugera is a fine sounding amp, but if I just wanted a fine sounding amp, I have plenty of options. I want the AC30 sound more than a fine sound.

Archived