Is there anyone who makes a smaller AC30?

honeyiscool

• Members

I'm just not sure I need a 2x12" setup, and I'd like the sound of an AC30, but in a form factor that's smaller than 50 pounds, and no modeling. What's my best option?

And yeah, I have an AC15 and that thing is a fun amp but it sounds less like an AC30 than a Peavey Bandit does. Thanks!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by kit_strong View Post
How about a Ceriatone Dizzy 30 which is basically a Marchless DC 30 clone which is basically an AC30 copy
You have to rework the filtering and and the dropping resistors, the Dizzy/DC30 is much much, much stiffer sounding.

But there are options like the Valvetech Hayseed, Morgan AC20/40, Winfeld Thomas, etc. which offer scaled-down AC-style amps.

There is also the previous generations 1x12" Vox AC30CC1.

But then I don't think the AC15 sounds very different since the modern AC15 uses the exact same top boost preamp as the AC30.

• Members

Get yourself the new blue Vox AC4 C1 BL. It is the Top Boost circuit of the AC30 in an amp the size of a lunch box.

There are faults with the blue AC4 (no reverb), but it does deliver the exact tone my monster AC30 does. I'll say that again: the new blue AC4 puts out the exact AC30 tone in a small little amp.

34-1.jpg

26-1.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by taxerman View Post
Get yourself the new blue Vox AC4 C1 BL. It is the Top Boost circuit of the AC30 in an amp the size of a lunch box.

There are faults with the blue AC4 (no reverb), but it does deliver the exact tone my monster AC30 does. I'll say that again: the new blue AC4 puts out the exact AC30 tone in a small little amp.

34-1.jpg

26-1.jpg
Well, you just made me decide to buy an AC4. My guitar now loves you, meanwhile my bank account has mixed feelings.

The questions now becomes whether or not I go with the blue one or the standard that has the built in attenuation.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by TunerAddict View Post
Well, you just made me decide to buy an AC4. My guitar now loves you, meanwhile my bank account has mixed feelings.

The questions now becomes whether or not I go with the blue one or the standard that has the built in attenuation.
No. no. no! Do not buy the cream AC4 with the attenuator.

Go to any Vox forum and you will see that guys who bought the cream one before the blue will begrudgingly admit (if they are honest) that the attenuator is kind of silly and the new blue AC4 with a Master Volume works so much better. Also the cream AC4 has one tone control (it's called TONE), while the blue guy has two (BASS and TREBLE). With those two tone controls and a Master Volume knob the blue AC4 allows you to carve out any tone that you will love.

The blue AC4 does have drawbacks. It's bass response is limited (because it is so small it doesn't boom), it has a small sound (pedals do help to make it sound bigger), and its price is too much ($300, for another $250 you can get a monster AC15). But if you want that great VOX tone of an AC30, it is right here in this little blue box.

Plus it looks real cool with a blue guitar. (Yes, if you buy the blue AC4 you will have to buy a blue guitar. It's a rule.)

08a.jpg

• Members

I tried a lot of AC30 type amps before I got my Valvetech. To me, it sounded more like an AC30 than the AC30's I tried. I got the head version figuring I could pair it with any cab and scale it to the gig. Sounded great, but didn't truly get "that" sound until I put it through a semi open back 2x12 with alnico blues. So I think a large part of that sound is the configuration, not just the circuit.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Special J View Post
I tried a lot of AC30 type amps before I got my Valvetech. To me, it sounded more like an AC30 than the AC30's I tried. I got the head version figuring I could pair it with any cab and scale it to the gig. Sounded great, but didn't truly get "that" sound until I put it through a semi open back 2x12 with alnico blues. So I think a large part of that sound is the configuration, not just the circuit.

This is a very good point.

• Members

It's got to be either blues or greenbacks. The blues are louder and give that raspy yet singing overdrive. The Greenbacks have a sharper edge and do the jangle better, but will turn to warm thunder when overdriven.

TBH I doubt it's possible to get an authentic tone with a 1X12 because you need the speaker interaction. Be aware too that it's quite beamy for an open-back combo, and the tone varies enormously according to where you stand.

• Members

A Morgan AC20 Deluxe would be at the top of my list if the cost is acceptable.

In my experience, Greenbacks are OK but Blues are where it's at for the Vox tone in my head. Modern Blues are brighter than old Blues. The Weber Blue Dog tries to capture the vibe of the older ones... chimey with some bottom, but less piercing highs. I've had two AC15s and I tended to prefer the Celestions for Top Boost tones but prefer the Blue Dogs for the Normal Vox tones which is my preference. I've bought two used ceramic Blue Dogs for $50 each so if you look around, I'd consider at least try going that route.

Archived