What's your favorite or recommended 1 x 12 combo amp?

GAS Man

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I still love my Jet City combo. With a recent tube upgrade to JJ's (with a 5751 in V1), it sounds REALLY nice. This is not the amp for pristine cleans but for blues/classic rock stuff it's perfect. And it LOVES dirt pedals. Best $299 I've ever spent on a piece of gear.

DV016_Jpg_Large_583601_V.jpg

$299? Wow...when and where?

• Members

$299? Wow...when and where?

zZounds.com or American Musical Supply, I would guess a couple years ago. The price has gone up on both those sites, but they carry the head and 1x12 cab package deal for a ridiculous $349 - which, if I had the $ right now, would totally jump on. That's basically like getting the extension cab for free.

EDIT:

Here's a link for you:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--JETJCA2012HS

• Members

Koch Studiotone.

Same here. I tried one and it kicked but.

Brunetti's are supposed to be better than Koch though, according to a review in HC of the studiotone FYI.

Laney's vintage styles are nice too.

I have a Mesa Mark One Re-Issue and that is ok for me, but try the new Laney Vintages.

• Members

Won't make the top ten (cause practically nobody has one anymore), but I'd have to go with my 60's vintage Magnatone 413 Custom. (Phil X started out with a tonemaster 213 which is the same circuit as the 413 but the 413 has a tube rectifier.) The amp not only sounds grand clean (real tremelo) but able to achieve the vaunted Phil X overdrive. It's loud enough for bar gigs and weighs next to nothing.

• Members

Just played the import Bad Cat Cougar 50 being made by Kustom since I always liked both...maybe be the best import 1 12 combo I have played sounds like little monster with an nice clean too, everyone in the music store stopped and played it after me!

799 @ MF

Archived