Tom Anderson vs. Suhr: Let's start the year with a debate!

elsupermanny14

• Members

They've been weight relieved for decades, this is nothing new. Only where they removed the material from.

I do want a chambered Silverjet, I do not want a chambered Les Paul.

I've owned a Custom before and sold it due to weight, I get it. A Traditional weighs (about) the same as a Standard; one is chambered, one is swiss-cheesed. That's why they have two different models (and one costs $400 more than the other).

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

where's this "middle of the night" {censored} coming from? it was well known that Gibson started chambering their standard line months before they hit the racks. while i agree that it's a regression of spec for the same price, it solved two problems at once. can't really blame them for it. it's one of the few things they've done to the line that is excusable.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock!

View Post

where's this "middle of the night" {censored} coming from? it was well known that Gibson started chambering their standard line months before they hit the racks. while i agree that it's a regression of spec for the same price, it solved two problems at once. can't really blame them for it. it's one of the few things they've done to the line that is excusable.

Because the changed model got the legacy name (standard), and the old model got a new name (traditional).

That's not a sneaky move in your eyes?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BigTimeFun

View Post

What's it to you what an informed buyer decides to not spend his money on? If I don't want a chambered guitar, I'm not buying one. How it sounds to you is irrelevant.

You've sniffed a few corks too many..

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BigTimeFun

View Post

Because the changed model got the legacy name (standard), and the old model got a new name (traditional).

That's not a sneaky move in your eyes?

I agree. Many of the changes gibson makes roll out very very quietly. And when they do they are almost always changes that provide zero benefit to the consumer but cost savings for them...like circuit boards, or short neck tenons....Or the changes like chambers, or weight relief holes, which are probably beneficial to over all sound, still are drastic changes to the construction of what one thinks of with a Les Paul. But then when they go back to a long tenon for example...they promote it much more noticeably.

To me it's just slimy business practice, and one of the reasons I'll never buy a gibson. There are plenty of companies that don't try to shave the corners of cost, provide superior features to gibson, higher over all quality, and at a lower price. Pretty easy choice for me.

• Members

It's funny, custom builders call chambering an option and charge you extra for it, while Gibson is raked across the coals for doing it (for free)... Guitar players

FWIW, Suhr doesn't charge extra for chambering. If you want it, they'll do it and give you an f-hole or cats eye at no additional charge, too.

• 11 months later...
  • Members

wjjb6a.jpg

just at first glance before i bought anything. the Tom anderson drop top had the truss rod adjustment at the top, tuner side of the guitar. that imo is a plus. popping the neck off to just adjust the relief of the neck is not a smart design imo. why suhr and the others don't, i don't get it.

I went to Washingtom music center, chuck Levins to get the perfect high end strat guitar i was seeking , even tho i wasn't sure which i'd leave with. neighter guitar was setup to my liking and both guitars had been sitting in their cases sinse around 2008. Paul said they don't sell many 3000 dollar guitars and i really don't buy many either. I had some money and i wanted the best strat money could buy.

The Tom Anderson just had more features and they only make like 70 guitars a year the last i heard. the TA's also had noiseless single coil pickups that i could not tell the differents between. It also had plenty of quack in the notched positions. stainless steel frets and I had brought my gauges and a fret rocker to check out the frets to make sure they were level. they were. Another selling point on the TA was the wang bar which was designed to be a easy hard tail. The TA also had a mini switch that some how added a little more mid boost and a pull pot on the treble control that let you run the pickups in any order. Bridge and neck together etc. I looked all over this guitar and it was as perfect as a guitar can be.

The pickups which are a passive design have this clarity thing going on. Every string rang out clearly and well defined even in a cranked amp. After my setup, it played as good as any short scale guitar i've ever played and to be honest, i've never played a Fender strat that played or sounded as good. Tho the fender american specials i tryed were very good.

You all know which one i bought right?

Killer guitar

Sorry i don't have much to say about the Suhr other than it is a fine guitar in its own right. but the Tom anderson drop top classic just had more selling points

• Members

Crunchtime i threw a 800.00 custom ordered Bolt guitar in the trash after i sent it back for the 3rd time. No way did it even come close to either guitar this thread is supposed to be about. The carvin pickups? imo i got ripped off. I'm glad you had a good experience. A squier sounds and plays better imo. carvin has their rap down and by rights and using all CNC they should be able to put out at least something decent. I was not well receiving a guitar that was one big dead spot. strumed accoustically? dead guitar that played like shi- sounded like shi- it was a POS

words to the wise, don't give them a chance to fix it if you find a issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius

View Post

Don't you know this is HCEG? The title should read Tom Anderson vs. Suhr vs. Squier: Let's start the year with a debate!

Seriously though, I've only played 1 used Anderson ever. None of the shops I've been to around here carry that kind of gear. I'd probably have to drive up to Chicago.

My Squier 51 is made from vintage used diapers and birthday cake! Can't be beat!!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by C-4

View Post

Had both and loved the Suhrs far more.

The best however, imho, is Vigier. They do things to their guitars that no one else does, and every one gets the same treatment.

Never played an anderson or Suhr that has a better feeling, more stable, and straight neck, and the Vigiers don't need to use baked maple to keep their necks absolutely stable in all climatic conditions. Also, among a lot of other things they do, Vigier is the only one that uses totally air-dried woods that they have had for years prior to building, and it's all grown in their home country.

Also, they have their own bridges, not Japanese Gotoh bridges like everyone else uses. They are the best I've ever used. They pivot on ball bearings, not a knife edge that can dull, or six screws in the body at the bridge fulcrum point as older Fenders have.

In Europe, they are very well respected. No american bolt-on guitar can touch them.

Yes! This is why Vigier's on my GAS list smile.gif

• Members

This thread should be titled "Tell us why your Toyota Corolla is better than an M-series BMW".

So far we've had Carvin, Squier, and Fender that make better guitars than Anderson and Suhr. Any more? I know I'll get called a cork-sniffer for thinking high grade products are better than average grade, but that term just means "likes guitars I can't afford, therefore is a snob".

• Members

This thread is like asking who's the best guitarist. Once you get to a certain level of quality, "best" is somewhat meaningless.

I absolutely love my Suhr, but I must have played a dozen Suhrs that didn't really click with me. They were fine guitars, but not for me. That said, the only guitar on my GAS list is also a Suhr. I'd love to take an Anderson for a spin some day, might change my mind.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by koiwoi

View Post

Wrong. You really should try one.

I've tried several.

Now, have you tried any high end MIJ guitars? If so please list the ones you've tried so I actually know that you know what the best MIJ guitars are. Cause I'm gonna guess you have no idea about the guitars I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by BydoEmpire

View Post

This thread is like asking who's the best guitarist. Once you get to a certain level of quality, "best" is somewhat meaningless.

I absolutely love my Suhr, but I must have played a dozen Suhrs that didn't really click with me. They were fine guitars, but not for me. That said, the only guitar on my GAS list is also a Suhr. I'd love to take an Anderson for a spin some day, might change my mind.

I'm with you. I own a couple of Suhrs, a couple of Gibsons and a handful of cheaper guitars down to a Chinese made CV Tele. They all do something I like. The Suhrs are definitely a cut above the rest for me though. I don't regret spending the money and if I could afford another I'd get a Guthrie Govan Antique Modern.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by soundcreation View Post
I've tried several.

Now, have you tried any high end MIJ guitars? If so please list the ones you've tried so I actually know that you know what the best MIJ guitars are. Cause I'm gonna guess you have no idea about the guitars I'm talking about.
One of my best guitars is MIJ and I've played and worked on many others. I'm not saying they're not good, just that every Anderson I've played has been perfect in a way that they aren't. Plus they design and create great pickups and smart wiring configs. Each step of every guitar is optimised to a spec, not a margin. It's a no-brainer for me, but that doesn't mean other guitars aren't great.

Archived