Who thinks hammer ons & pull off's are "weak sauce"?

LynchProtoge

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jrockbridge

View Post

If a person dislikes legato but loves squealies, they are likely a Zakk Wylde fanboy or Zakk Wylde himself. Too much of any one technique can be annoying. For example, Wyldes overuse of squealies.

Legato technique has been used well by many legendary guitar players. As long as it's done tastefully, it works.

I wish players would put more emphasis on composition and song writing. Technique won't save lousy songs IMO.

WTF is with all the Zakk Wylde hate on here? He's not my favorite player of all time, but I love his music. He most certainly does use legato, though. Some of his best licks have swift hammer/pull-offs.

I'll contribute to the discussion by saying that Jerry Garcia felt that hammer-ons were weak, but he liked pull-offs for some reason.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

View Post

If a person dislikes legato but loves squealies, they are likely a Zakk Wylde fanboy or Zakk Wylde himself. Too much of any one technique can be annoying. For example, Wyldes overuse of squealies.

Legato technique has been used well by many legendary guitar players. As long as it's done tastefully, it works.

I wish players would put more emphasis on composition and song writing. Technique won't save lousy songs IMO.

WTF is with all the Zakk Wylde hate on here? He's not my favorite player of all time, but I love his music. He most certainly does use legato, though. Some of his best licks have swift hammer/pull-offs.

I'll contribute to the discussion by saying that Jerry Garcia felt that hammer-ons were weak, but he liked pull-offs for some reason.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bucksstudent

View Post

Sorry, I don't hate the guy. In fact, I like some of his music. He's a favorite punching bag around here. My comments seemed like the kind of overgeneralized statements that would fit in with this silly subject matter. I do find Zakk's abundance of squealies annoying at times though.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bucksstudent

View Post

Sorry, I don't hate the guy. In fact, I like some of his music. He's a favorite punching bag around here. My comments seemed like the kind of overgeneralized statements that would fit in with this silly subject matter. I do find Zakk's abundance of squealies annoying at times though.

• Members

View Post

He's obsessed with John Sykes and Eddie Van Halen. If you notice, on his first album with Ozzy, No Rest for the Wicked, he didn't do it nearly as much. Ozzy has always been the one who encouraged that part of his style, and specifically wanted him to play the guitar on Down to Earth for all the "little pings."

Different strokes for different folks, though. I don't pay attention to his repeated cliches (He has quite a few), unless he makes them into a whole album (Shot to Hell and Black Rain were virtually the same, and it's not coincidence that Ozzy fired him afterward).

• Members

View Post

He's obsessed with John Sykes and Eddie Van Halen. If you notice, on his first album with Ozzy, No Rest for the Wicked, he didn't do it nearly as much. Ozzy has always been the one who encouraged that part of his style, and specifically wanted him to play the guitar on Down to Earth for all the "little pings."

Different strokes for different folks, though. I don't pay attention to his repeated cliches (He has quite a few), unless he makes them into a whole album (Shot to Hell and Black Rain were virtually the same, and it's not coincidence that Ozzy fired him afterward).

• Members

I saw Zakk Wylde at Download this summer. He had a prolonged solo section. While he's clearly a very talented guitarist it became pretty unbearable after about a minute. Just doing the same aimless widdling noodling squealing crap over and over. And I actually like that kind of playing usually, I love hard rock. It gave me the same kind of feeling as those horrible Vinnie Vincent Invasion solos.

I don't hate him at all, I think he was great in Ozzy's band where someone could give him some direction. He needs to be directed.

Archived