Who thinks hammer ons & pull off's are "weak sauce"?

LynchProtoge

• Members

I saw Zakk Wylde at Download this summer. He had a prolonged solo section. While he's clearly a very talented guitarist it became pretty unbearable after about a minute. Just doing the same aimless widdling noodling squealing crap over and over. And I actually like that kind of playing usually, I love hard rock. It gave me the same kind of feeling as those horrible Vinnie Vincent Invasion solos.

I don't hate him at all, I think he was great in Ozzy's band where someone could give him some direction. He needs to be directed.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by danswon

View Post

I saw Zakk Wylde at Download this summer. He had a prolonged solo section. While he's clearly a very talented guitarist it became pretty unbearable after about a minute. Just doing the same aimless widdling noodling squealing crap over and over. And I actually like that kind of playing usually, I love hard rock.

I'm with you. Like a lot of shredders, the dude is technically awesome. But musically I don't find much worth listening to. Then again, I grew up on Judas Priest and Rainbow and the Scorpions. Those guys had solos that, to me, were very musical.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by danswon

View Post

I saw Zakk Wylde at Download this summer. He had a prolonged solo section. While he's clearly a very talented guitarist it became pretty unbearable after about a minute. Just doing the same aimless widdling noodling squealing crap over and over. And I actually like that kind of playing usually, I love hard rock.

I'm with you. Like a lot of shredders, the dude is technically awesome. But musically I don't find much worth listening to. Then again, I grew up on Judas Priest and Rainbow and the Scorpions. Those guys had solos that, to me, were very musical.

• Members

I think legato is misunderstood, underused and underappreciated. I think too often, legato is used to show off for a few moments, when it's a legitimate technique worth practicing.

Holdsworth makes it sublime, almost keyboard like.

My legato is weak sauce, for sure. I hardly ever practice my legato skills. facepalm.gif

EDIT: Ha, legato "skills," he said. cry.gif

• Members

I think legato is misunderstood, underused and underappreciated. I think too often, legato is used to show off for a few moments, when it's a legitimate technique worth practicing.

Holdsworth makes it sublime, almost keyboard like.

My legato is weak sauce, for sure. I hardly ever practice my legato skills. facepalm.gif

EDIT: Ha, legato "skills," he said. cry.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DaveAronow

View Post

Stupid.

Just stupid.

Maybe one of the dumbest statements I've ever heard coming from someone that knows even the slightest thing about music.

In fact, I'm having a really hard time even believing this really happened.

Yep, it is stupid. But hey, dont take my word for it - read the link I posted. The guy claims to have a classical background and being "edumacated" by academic types - which I think explains alot about his attitude.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DaveAronow

View Post

Stupid.

Just stupid.

Maybe one of the dumbest statements I've ever heard coming from someone that knows even the slightest thing about music.

In fact, I'm having a really hard time even believing this really happened.

Yep, it is stupid. But hey, dont take my word for it - read the link I posted. The guy claims to have a classical background and being "edumacated" by academic types - which I think explains alot about his attitude.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by koiwoi

View Post

The burn of the attempted burner is sweeet! smile.gif

This is a crazy topic. Hammer ons and pull-offs are just techniques for getting a certain sound. I suppose the same person would consider the use of a hair tie to dampen the open strings as cheating. Some kids... facepalm.gif

Isn't using a pick cheating?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by koiwoi

View Post

The burn of the attempted burner is sweeet! smile.gif

This is a crazy topic. Hammer ons and pull-offs are just techniques for getting a certain sound. I suppose the same person would consider the use of a hair tie to dampen the open strings as cheating. Some kids... facepalm.gif

Isn't using a pick cheating?

Archived