what was the first effect pedal you bought?

GreatDane

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Back in 1982... I didn't buy my first pedal.  My girlfriend's step brother stole it and gave it to me. :facepalm:

It was totally the wrong thing to do, but his heart was in the right place. :freak:

I had just tried it out in a music store even though I had no money.  I was the only one with a driver's license and we were waiting in the car wondering WTF is he doing.  He came running out of the store, jumped in the car and told us to hurry.  "Why?"  Then he proudly pulled the pedal out of his jacket pocket.  I was driving my girlfriend's dad's Chevy Blazer while his step son is stealing s.hit and giving it to me.  I was in a quandry and just went with it.

Fast forward to 1994 or 1995.  I had quit playing for a few years.  I'd already replaced the pedal with a ProCo Rat, so it was of no use to me.  I just gave it to a coworker's son who was starting out on guitar.  A vintage MXR pedal would probably fetch me good money today, but oh well- I paid it forward, errr something like that.

MXR Distortion +

• Members

Back in 1990 a buddy sold me his Butler RealTube pedal, which I still have.  A few years ago I dug it back out and found it all crackly and fizzy/harsh sounding, so I used some Deoxit and replaced the original 12Ax7 tube with a NOS 12AU7, and it sounds pretty d@mned good. 

RealTube

Of course I rarely use individual pedals anymore (in favor of my Rocktron Utopia G300), so the RealTube sits in a drawer, whining like a lonely puppy.  :manwink:

Archived