Home made Les Paul

Freeman Keller

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lets finish the headstock before moving on. First, route the channel with a stepped router bit. I'm binding in cream so I cut a few pieces and bent the top of the crown with a little heat from a heat shrink gun. Here are the pieces, the ends of the binding are mitered to make a nice looking corner (note that I modified the Gibson headstock shape just slightly by removing he dimple in the center - much easier to bind that way and I don't want this to be a pure Gibson copy)

IMG_0699.jpg

I thought that I had another tube of Duco cement but it had gone bad so I used CA - works good but you have to move fast. Painters tape to hold it in place

IMG_0701.jpg

It stands a little proud of the veneer, but scrapes back nicely so its flush

IMG_0712.jpg

Enough for today....

• Members

freeman, i know your threads from HCAG. could you show a quick pic of some of your finished acoustics?

Well, gosh, OK, if you insist, blush.....

I built these earlier this year - Weissenborn type lap guitars as were played in the '30's. Comtemporary players include David Lindley, Ben Harper, Bob Brozman and others. Koa with maple trim

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

Here is the tricone that I built a couple of years ago. Most are metal altho National Resophonic is building a wood one now, again, this is koa with maple trim

Tricone_1.jpg

Tricone_3.jpg

And this is a very long scale ladder braced 12 string as was played by Leadbelly and Willie McTell (and today by guys like Alvin Youngblood Hart and Paul Geremia). It is typically tuned to C or even B and absolutely roars with a bottle neck. Red (adi) spruce over mahogany, scale lenght is 26-1/2 inches

IMG_2008.jpg

IMG_2010.jpg

the headstock in my avatar is my go to guitar - very similar to the one EC played on Unplugged. There are others, but I don't want to be too off topic. Now back to your regularly scheduled Les Paul clone...

• Members

This thread just plain rocks. Your skill is off the chart - really inspirational!

If it's not already too late - some of the higher end makers in this space create a nice recess for the bridge (check out the Anderson Bulldog).. I think that would be a nice touch and it shows off your wood working skill.

You need to chamber the body on the next one and I'll start saving up. ;)

• Members

I am one of the many who are truly impressed with this project. It has been a fun read. At this point I can't help but wonder what your electronic set up might be. What sound are you going for?

I am not attempting to recommend anything, but I'm just sayin' what I like. I love the Pearly Gates Billy Gibbons SD's. I have a set in my 335 clone. They sound amazing! Wonderful blues pickups with a good growl when you push them. My favorite humbuckers for raw meaty rock sound are Rio Grande Muy Grande. Vintage '59s are everything they're cracked up to be as well, just not overwound as hot. I also like P-90's, but I know that is not what you're going for.

I have built two strat's now and a telecaster. I've started on my second tele and it is going to be full vintage blonde ash/maple. All of mine are frankenstein guitars built from parts. No body shaping. I did cut the bone nut for each and for my 335. I've gotten much better at that.

Anyway, I can't wait to hear your sound. Keep up the good work.

RT1

• Members

nice woodwork, BUT do you guys painstakingly reproduce cars from the 1950's too? There have been some advancements since then....
;)

Actually, Ted, I do. This puppy has a wood frame (ash), a suspension designed in 1917, has the steering on the wrong side, a belt to hold the hood, er bonnet, on and is one heck of a ball to drive

IMG_0171.jpg

As I said in the earlier thread, the 12 string is a reproduction of a 1930's guitar, and the tricone is a modern take on an old design. I'll add that my second toy is a 1975 BMW - once again, impossible to drive without smiling. Those are a couple of Martins from the same era

IMG_0185.jpg

Guess I do live in the past.

Archived