Sign in to follow this  
Freeman Keller

Home made Les Paul

aw man. why not add a few more pictures of the guitar with the neck and fretboard done? Looks amazing, am going to give all of this a try asap.

there'll be more, don't worry

There was a lot of interest in this thread at first but it seems to have died out. However I'll keep building and posting a few pictures as I go. With the neck on I can go ahead and drill the holes for the pots and switch

IMG_0720.jpg

and the one for the jack (you do not want to do this before routing the binding channel as the follower bearing will drop into the hole and you'll get a nice big divot in the binding)

IMG_0716.jpg

I had a piece of mahogany side material from an aborted acoustic built that I thought would make nice covers for the cavities

IMG_0721.jpg

Here is one more shot of the body, neck and headstock. In the background is a piece of scrap with some samples of different stains - starting to think about how I want to finish it

IMG_0719.jpg

With the neck in place I can accurately locate the bridge and tailpiece. Rather than using the centerline I exended the sides of the fretboard to the middle of the guitar and reestablished the center (it was a hair off from the joint). I can also accurately measure from the nut to the bridge location, using a compromise between the measurement on the plans, that given by the StewMac on line fret calculator and my personal experience locating the saddles on acoustic. Of course the nice thing is that there is a little adjustment if I'm a hair off. Drill the holes on a drill press - I want these babies in the right place!

IMG_0727.jpg

The last thing that I can do since the neck is on is finish shaping the back of it. I made two templates from the plans for the shape at the nut and 12th fret and worked it down to fit

IMG_0717.jpg

OK, one last shot - here are some stain samples - any thoughts about how I should use them?

IMG_0718.jpg

This is so very, very cool FK. I wish I was your neighbor so I could come over and watch! I really appreciate the thorough documentation--words and pictures. Next best thing to being there.

As for the stain--are you going for a cherry sunburst? I love those. I was on a tour in the Memphis Gibson factory last year about this time and watched a guy hand-spraying sunbursts onto Gibson hollowbodies. He was quite the artist!

Should also mention that Gibson had two women who did nothing all day but painstakingly scrape paint off the binding. Too labor-intensive to mask the binding, they said.

Thanks for the updates, FK. I had gotten behind, but I'm all caught up now. The guitar is looking fabulous - seriously. You've got a gift, and I'd like to thank you for sharing it with the rest of us.

In regards to the stains, the only one that really catches my eye is the one on the far right. I think it would look very nice on the back, though I don't know what you'd do for the front. Maybe the stain right next to it? Almost seems too light, but . . . meh. I've got nothing. Whatever you do, I'm looking forward to seeing it!

Keep up the good work, and please keep the updates coming! :thu:

We're all paying attention! just reading, not posting so much.... fantastic work! please keep the updates coming!

I've been following this thread since the beginning, and it's been a great thread. I don't post that often, and I prefer to just read, learn, and watch.

Don't worry, I don't think much interest has died out - we're all just waiting for the glorious completion of that beauty.

Keep up the awesome work.

OK, one last shot - here are some stain samples - any thoughts about how I should use them?

IMG_0718.jpg

I cant read the two smaller bottles but are they switched around? The 3rd bottle from the left says amber but shouldn't that be a more yellow color like the sample 2nd from the left?

Anyways, I vote for color #2 in the center (yellow) fading to color #4 (med brown) in a burst. That and the med brown (right) for the back.

Are you planning on applying these by hand or spraying them? Either way I hope you document that part well. One of my favorite parts of build threads is seeing the finishing techniques other people utilize.

We're all paying attention! just reading, not posting so much.... fantastic work! please keep the updates coming!

Me too. I love this thread!

"First thing I did was glued the rubber gloves to the binding, ripping of nice little pieces of blue latex. Duh. I tore the glove off and proceeded to glue my fingers together. While discussing the whole operation with God I worked my way around the guitar until the gel glue stopped coming out of the tube."

Just read this entire thread. The quote above is great!

As many have said, this is amazing and you sure make it look easy, but we all know it isn't. Changing strings is an achievement for me!

"First thing I did was glued the rubber gloves to the binding, ripping of nice little pieces of blue latex. Duh. I tore the glove off and proceeded to glue my fingers together.
While discussing the whole operation with God
I worked my way around the guitar until the gel glue stopped coming out of the tube."

As many have said, this is amazing and you sure make it look easy, but we all know it isn't. Changing strings is an achievement for me!

My wife would tell you that it was a pretty one sided discussion....

Glad to hear the I haven't put you all to sleep and I really do appreciate all your comments about the stains - more on that subject tonight.

So, how many hours will you have in this project? Looks like you work on it most days - How many hours average per day? What's your day job, or is this project part of your day job (luthier?)? How do you balance your attention to your day job, wife/family and project?

Sunburst the top with the lemon in the middle, getting darker towards the outside by blending with the brown. I say mix the brown with another color for the back... I don't like the dark les paul back very much. To me it looks a lot better with a light back like on some of the old goldtops.

What look are you aiming for? Classic? Unique? Modern?

Personally, I'd try something slightly unusual - because you can! How about reversing the burst so it's darker in the middle an lighter at the edges.

"First thing I did was glued the rubber gloves to the binding, ripping of nice little pieces of blue latex. Duh. I tore the glove off and proceeded to glue my fingers together.
While discussing the whole operation with God
I worked my way around the guitar until the gel glue stopped coming out of the tube."

That is funny, and Ive SOOOOOOO been there before!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love the build!!!! I like your idea of the wood covers over the control cavatys in back. Ive been trying to find somehting I like to cover the holes on the lap steel I built last year, and might try that.

IMG_0718.jpg

I would do a burst from inside out sec. 3, sec. 1, then sec. 4. I love bursts!

So, how many hours will you have in this project? Looks like you work on it most days - How many hours average per day? What's your day job, or is this project part of your day job (luthier?)? How do you balance your attention to your day job, wife/family and project?

Bob, first, I am a total amature and this is my first electric. I have built a number of acoustics, somewhere a few pages back are some pictures. My day job is an engineer which has the minor advantage that I have some CAD and cnc tools available - I don't use them for building the guitar but a cnc mill is really nice to make templates. Otherwise I'm just a hobby wood worker. I like to reserve the term "luthier" for someone who truely understands what they are doing and why - someday maybe....

Second, I'm kind of cheating on this. I've been working on it for about two months, mostly a few hours in the evening and sometimes rainy weekends. I held off starting the thread until I was about half way done, figuring that I had a moderately good chance of sucess. I also thought that rather than posting one picture every day or so I would post little themes - carving body or setting the neck or whatever - so you could see the steps. Discussion afterwards is good - I enjoy and appreciate that.

Balance is both easy and incredibly difficult. My wife calls me a renaissance man - I think that means that I do a lot of things poorly. But I do manage to fit the things that are important to me into my life and leave the others out - a full time and sometimes hectic job is offet by the time in the shop or playing music or hiking and climbing with my wife. We don't watch television - in the evenings she reads and I play. For me building guitars is much like playing them - frustrating and rewarding at the same time, alway room for improvement.

Hope you are enjoying the thread.

Freeman, it looks great so far, can't wait to see the end.

You gave me some good tips a couple of years ago on the Kit guitar Forum before Bill sold it. My OM21 turned out to be a great guitar.

Thanks Rick