Home made Les Paul

Freeman Keller

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How do building acoustics and electrics compare so far? I'd think the acoustic would be more difficult.

I have to say that you also have a nice place to work and adequate tools, always a plus!

I like your lifestyle. In some respects it's like my wife's and mine. No TV means lots more time in the day!

• Members

How do building acoustics and electrics compare so far? I'd think the acoustic would be more difficult.

I have to say that you also have a nice place to work and adequate tools, always a plus!

I like your lifestyle. In some respects it's like my wife's and mine. No TV means lots more time in the day!

I'll address this tomorrow - I have a date with my wife to go to yoga. I'm terrible at yoga but it is good for me, and besides there are all these sweet things in tight pants.

• Members

The reason that I asked about stains and colors and all is that all thru this build I hadn't really decided. I started out thinking an amber fading to brown, but fairly light - I guess what I have always called an "amber burst". I did a tobacco burst on my mandolin and briefly considered that, but I think I'll save it for a Tele (there is always another build...). I almost got seduced by a cherry burst - so when you look at that scrap of maple you'll see the cherry red, a nice vintage amber, another orangish amber that I used on a dobro and a basic brown. I've also got a redish brown and another medium brown.

Cherry - amber - cherry - amber. I couldn't decide. I posted two question here - "Show me your amber burst" / "Show me your cherry burst" and all I saw were pictures of truely beautiful guitar. Finally one night I was reading a recent Fretboard Journal with an article about '59 Bursts and my wife looked over my shoulder. "I really like that one" she said. 59 burst it is.

I'll go thru the basic finishing step - start by sanding everything to 220, then 320. I pore filled the mahogany with StewMac paste filler (I like epoxy for highly figured wood). I use a plastic card to force it into the pores and squeeze off the excess

IMG_0737.jpg

Sand back to the wood leaving just the filler in the pores

IMG_0738.jpg

Mask the fretboard and sides of the binding - the top is a hassle and will be scraped. Now I wiped two coats of the amber stain mixed about two drops to 3 or so oz of alcohol. Sand the first back to wood, but because the figure has the grain at a different angle it absorbs more stain. Another coat and the figure is pretty well "popped"

IMG_0739.jpg

I'm going to use a water based lacquer called KTM-9 - it is safe, gives pretty good results and is easy to clean up. Here is the finish, my little HPLV gun and the two stains that will be used

IMG_0741.jpg

A wash coat of clear KTM seals the top and back, the I put two drops of the amber dye in 8 oz of lacquer and shot two coats. I guess I didn't take a picture at this point - darn. However next I put one drop of the brown in the remaining 7 oz and shot one coat starting about 6 inches from the edge and going out

IMG_0742.jpg

Added two more drops of brown to what was left and another coat about 3 inches from the edge. The two more drops and 2 inches, then another coat at one inch. Its starting to look like this

IMG_0745.jpg

Flipped the guitar over after it had dried and shot two coats of the brown on the back -

IMG_0753.jpg

I'm going to stop at this point - there will be more finishing pictures but this at least answers the question of "what color are you going to paint it"

• Members

Yep...that burst looks amazing. Nice work! I don't know how much more you're going to do but I really like how the dark part is quite thin on the outer edge.

And I love how you matched the grain pattern on the control cavity cover to the back of the guitar. Great attention to detail there.

• Members

That burst looks AWESOME!!! So many home done bursts come off looking kinda cheezy.... yours looks like a pro job!!

Cant wait to do my build. I have a lap steel under my belt, and thinking of doing a kit next to get reved up for a scrach build!!

• Members

These are good questions so I'd like to come back to them. How does building an electric compare with an acoustic? Remember this is my first electric so my experience is pretty limited, but as I see it with the electric its the pups that make the sound so really what you are doing is building something to hold them and to present the strings to them. Neck and playability are paramount - I think electric players are much more into the subtle shape and feel of their necks. And of course cosmetics is everything - wood choice and finish are so important to an electric player.

The carved top and set neck make this guitar a little harder than say a Tele with its flat top and bolt on - I may make a Tele some day just because I want one, but with this I really wanted the challenge of carving that top. Obviously you can make this easier by buying a precarved top and a preshaped neck - cnc's make absolutely perfect ones over and over and over - but there is something very satisfying about a scary sharp chisel or plane working the wood.

With an acoustic the sound is all in the wood, the size and shape and bracing and thickness of the plates. You have to be aware of all of that as you work - and again, there is a real joy in carving a brace with a sharp chisel and listening to the tap tone change. I think the actual word working is harder - bending the sides, all the radius (nothing is flat on a flat top guitar). There is certainly a lot more fitting and figiting - many more steps in the build.

The hardest parts of any guitar for a home builder are (1) setting the neck angle - this is the basis of playability. A dovetail is a nightmare for a first timer (I've done a few) - an MT neck like this is easier and a bolt on even more so. (2) binding is hard for either an acoustic or electric, tight curves like a cutaway are tricky, if the top and side are not at right angles it is hard to cut the channels. I did an F5 mandolin one time - those scrolls are a bitch. (3) And finish is also hard - the amature builder will never get a factory looking finish no matter what method we use. Each of mine has flaws, I get better each time, but as my wife says, "no piece of art is 'perfect' " (thanks, dear).

I work in my garage. I covet a truely nice shop with heat and humidity control. I have had serious problems with some acoustics during the winter when humidity goes up and down. I also buy one major tool with each build - I think of something that I had trouble with on the last one and add it to the collection. The only thing worse than GAS is TAS ("honey, I need a new router...")

Chainsaw.jpg

Last, thank you for the comments on our life style. Our family has made decisions over the years where life style has trumped jobs or moves - I'd probably be making a lot more money today but I sure wouldn't be as happy. Music, books, the mountains, my wife and family are the most important things in my life - I'm blessed.

Sorry about the long reply, back to your regularly scheduled building thread....

• Members

No, sorry, no idea. Its a whole lot heavier than a D18, however. I'll probably have to buy one of those strap thingies.

You're going to MAKE the guitar and then BUY the strap ?

It is a piece of leather with holes in it !

Cheater !;)

Archived