Home made Les Paul

Freeman Keller

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
what were some of the guitar building specific tools or gauges that you feel are must have items to make this guitar? i am thinking the angle gauge for neck and tenon angle? what others

I'd suggest you read the whole thread. Freeman goes into lots of detail, with pics. Quite an education!

• Members

Well, I happened on this thread and had to read it from the very beginning, which was nice as it had the continuity factor. I was jaw-droppingly astounded.

I will never say I 'build' guitars again...I will henchforth use the term 'assemble', which is really what I do anyway.

Not only are you a true craftsman and luthier, but let me say that reading your comments has impressed upon me the fact that you are a remarkable guy as well. I really admire the fact that you are out of the corporate rat-race, and doing things that you love/like rather than simply toiling to make a few bucks.

As a fablulous luthier/builder, and as a man, you have my ultimate respect. I only wish I had your courage to do the things that I love and not be so concerned about just paying bills as I slave away for the corporation that I have worked for for 17 years.

You are an inspiration, as well as being being very daunting in your talent and craftmanship. Thank you, sir, and God bless you and your family.

NOTE: On the finished guitar, all I can say is "Holy fracking mackeral!!" That thing is a work of art, as well as being a musical instrument. WOW!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

Wow, I just stumbled on this thread and site and had to join. I was searching for a photo of the shape/contour of a Les Paul body as a reference for building a simple wall clock and landed in here. I've got to tell you , If I had the skills, know how and tools that Freeman possesses i would build the most awesome Michael Tobias inspired "boutique bass" known to mankind! It would be a world class instrument that every pro bassist worth his /her salt would lust after!! Hey, Freeman If you build/craft me one and sponsor me with it:smileywink: You will have bass players all over the world begging to purchase one for whatever price you ask for.  I have a proposistion for you, I'll build you one of these cool RC scale models (that you can have a ball with in your spare time) if you build me the monster bass guitar of all time.. and I prefer a dual bartolini pickup setup and preamp.:smileytongue: As a matterr of fact I'll ship this one to you right now. All you would need is a 72mhz transmittrer with at least 6 channels. If you don't know how to fly one, I'll drive to where you are and teach you!!:smileyvery-happy: 1/4 scale Bellanca Citabria

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

This has been said before but I just read through the whole thing and am humbled by your skills, Freeman. I must have had my head firmly implanted to have not noticed that this was going on nearly THREE YEARS ago. Let me add my congratulations and admiration on yet another stunning build. You sir are an inspiration and part of what kept me going as my own build languished. Thank you for sharing this journey and inspiring us with your artistry. I hope to see many more of these builds, both acoustic and electric.

I know this is an old thread but this is pretty stunning. I've built parts guitars but I'm always amazed when someone can build a Les Paul at home.

I found my wiring mistake, and it was mine. I had installed a ground on one pot but didn't like it, removed it so I could relocate it and simply forgot. Duh.

Lets call this fini for the present - I still need to make a new truss rod cover for it and the end of the month I'll pull all the hardware off and give it another buffing. But for now, i want to play some blues

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

(I really don't like that t/r cover, but it was fun to try)

IMG_0809.jpg

I'll take some better pictures too, these are flash and are pretty hot. And once I figure out how to play it (LOL) maybe I'll post a clip or two. Thanks to everyone for all the support and nice comments

Freeman

Archived