Which guitar do you like the most (Gibson content)

honeyiscool

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not a huge fan of the double cut Gibson shape on solid bodies.

So it should really be like 11 pounds? Sheesh!

So it's gotta be a Gibson? What about symmetrical doublecut instead of asymm? This particular guitar is just over ten pounds but with the right strap you would never know.

CIMG0304.JPG

• Members

My issue with VTVT setup is that without fail, in the middle position, I always like both pickups exactly at the same volume because there's a certain openness to the sound that only exists when both pickups are at the exact same volume. That's also my favorite sound on any Gibson. A VTVT setup is nice but it makes it really hard for me to quickly find that little happy place.

That said, on a humbucker, I don't find that happy place to be quite as magical, so I can live with it. With two soapbars, though, I love the jangle of the middle position in a VT equipped guitar. On a VTVT setup, I find the jangle lacking.

• Members

I like the 339 because I like the semi-hollow sound, but I also like a little smaller body than a 335. Never owned a 339, but I have played a couple in stores and they were very cool. That LP Classic Custom is a great-looking guitar, though. White LPs with binding are so classy.

• Members

out of those I like the Special , but for me I'd go for a used Studio or Standard and don't forget about Heritage guitars used they can be had at a great savings . Ma babies

'09 Heritage 137

137body1.jpg

^ 8.5 .lbs

'03 Studio Smartwood

body3.jpg

^ 7.1 lbs.

• Members

Of those posted, probably the 339, followed by the special in any other color. Though black on black is pretty sexy, the Midtown's flat top puts me off, and the white LP with the poop brown maple board is a flat-out atrocity. That said, I really think they're all a little below your degree of tastemanship. Consider this instead:

DV016_Jpg_Large_580091.632_satin_white.j

• Members

I've got a 1992 LP Special and a 1999 LP Classic and twenty other guitars. The LP Classic is my favorite guitar hands down.

The only thing I'd recomend is to look at the used market. I think you could get something better and cheaper (and that will hold it's value better) than a new Gibson.

• Members

Of those posted, probably the 339, followed by the special in
any
other color. Though black on black is pretty sexy, the Midtown's flat top puts me off, and the white LP with the poop brown maple board is a flat-out atrocity. That said, I really think they're all a little below your degree of tastemanship. Consider this instead:

DV016_Jpg_Large_580091.632_satin_white.j

This man is spot on. For the kind of stuff you do, you can use this all day long and look cool doing it. One PU, one vol, one tone: All you need!

• Members

I'd look at dual humbucker guitars other than Gibson. Setting aside concerns about their QC (let's leave it at that and not get into that debate again!), there are plenty of other guitars that will give you similar tones without breaking the bank. Ibanez, Schecter, ESP/LTD and Yamaha are just a few companies that do the semi-hollow dual-humbucker thing very well.

Archived