Which guitar do you like the most (Gibson content)

honeyiscool

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Of the Gibby's, I'd go for the white lp.

But, I like the TV Yellow double cuts with P90's a lot, ala the Heritage 137, and that it is currently scratched by my Reverend Roundhouse 290 and recently acquired Daredevil HB. I used the latter last night at rehearsal, and it feels Gibson, but for $300.

• Members

Of your choices? The 339 or the Midtown.
I tried a midtown and was happily surprised. The flat top was a non issue to me.

Now, that all being said, you would do yourself a disservice by not looking for a Hamer Newport. They are that good, and used are relatively cheap.

If you are looking for cheaper, grab an EPI 339 and see if the body works for you. They are smaller than you realize once you put it on your lap. Makes the neck feel SG like to me (long).

• Members

If you are looking for cheaper, grab an EPI 339 and see if the body works for you. They are smaller than you realize once you put it on your lap. Makes the neck feel SG like to me (long).

Good idea. A lot of what you dislike about the SG applies to the 339, regarding neck placement and to a lesser extent balance.

FWIW I wire all my 2-volume/2-tone guitars so they are just single volume/tone. It takes ten minutes and is reversible.

• Members
I still have my eyes for a nice Gibson style guitar, and here are the ones that have drawn my interest. Which ones do you like the most?

ES-339

Gibson-ES-339.jpg

Pros: Sweet. The right mix of size and weight and coolness, and also it's pretty unique.

Cons: A little boring? I mean, it doesn't immediately excite me. Also expensive!

Midtown Custom

GDSDCCTXXX_ip.jpg

Pros: I really like the factory hot rod nature of it. The composite fingerboard looks fantastic. Reasonably priced. Easy to modify thanks to rear routing.

Cons: Ultimately, it's still quite a bit of money.

Les Paul Special Single Cutaway

DV016_Jpg_Large_430805.083_heritage_cher

Pros: No nonsense. Great price. Finish is attractive. Good weight.

Cons: Not a huge fan of slab body... would prefer a single volume and tone.

LP Classic Custom

DV016_Jpg_Large_H78028.002_cream.jpg

Pros: Pretty much the perfect LP cosmetically speaking.

Cons: Pricey. It says chambered, but it seems like these guitars can regularly go above 9.5 pounds. Not a fan of that.

Picture vote:

197672_10150964587663879_1453275191_n.jp

• 10 months later...

Archived