Which guitar do you like the most (Gibson content)

honeyiscool

• Members

I still have my eyes for a nice Gibson style guitar, and here are the ones that have drawn my interest. Which ones do you like the most?

ES-339

Gibson-ES-339.jpg

Pros: Sweet. The right mix of size and weight and coolness, and also it's pretty unique.

Cons: A little boring? I mean, it doesn't immediately excite me. Also expensive!

Midtown Custom

GDSDCCTXXX_ip.jpg

Pros: I really like the factory hot rod nature of it. The composite fingerboard looks fantastic. Reasonably priced. Easy to modify thanks to rear routing.

Cons: Ultimately, it's still quite a bit of money.

Les Paul Special Single Cutaway

DV016_Jpg_Large_430805.083_heritage_cher

Pros: No nonsense. Great price. Finish is attractive. Good weight.

Cons: Not a huge fan of slab body... would prefer a single volume and tone.

LP Classic Custom

DV016_Jpg_Large_H78028.002_cream.jpg

Pros: Pretty much the perfect LP cosmetically speaking.

Cons: Pricey. It says chambered, but it seems like these guitars can regularly go above 9.5 pounds. Not a fan of that.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have the 339, and I probably use it more than any of my other guitars. Excellent sound, somewhere between a Les Paul and 335, which is different and nice. Obviously, that's my first choice. The Special is my second choice - I want the double-cut version. I think those guitars are excellent, and they have a great character. The Midtown sparks my interest, but I haven't seen one up close, and the Classic Custom looks awesome, but I already have two "regular" Les Pauls.

• Members

I Cons: Not a huge fan of slab body... would prefer a single volume and tone.

Wondering if you've given any thoughts to this? New, it's less than the 339 and same price as the Midtown Custom. Used Level 2 gets it to you for $1200 and maybe more of what you're looking for.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-les-paul-double-cutaway-electric-guitar

DV016_Jpg_Large_430808.183_gold_top_R.jp

• Members

Les Paul Special - I like simplicity and I much prefer P90s to humbuckers. I also happen to like slab bodies (for some reason, they're more comfortable for me). It would have to be a gloss finished model, though; I usually prefer satin, but I hate the feel of the faded finish Gibson uses.

• Members

I still have my eyes for a nice Gibson style guitar, and here are the ones that have drawn my interest. Which ones do you like the most?

If you like the size of the 339, and the single cutaway of the LP, you might want to check out a used Blueshawk.

-Chris

• Members
What don't you like about SGs?

I don't like the way they look (I dislike points), I don't like the body contours, I don't like the neck jutting out from the body so much, I don't like the strap button placement, I don't like the instrument balance. Basically I don't like anything that makes the SG an SG.

• Members

I don't like the way they look (I dislike points), I don't like the body contours, I don't like the neck jutting out from the body so much, I don't like the strap button placement, I don't like the instrument balance. Basically I don't like anything that makes the SG an SG.

The look is one thing you can't change... but the thinner-necked ones are fairly well-balanced... strap button has never bothered me, body contours are comfortable - compared to a LP, for example... Upper fret access is excellent...

I'm a big fan of SGs... probably one of the more versatile 'traditional' style solidbodies. Each to their own thought I suppose! ;)

Archived