Poll: Brian May or David Gilmour?

DaveAronow

• Members

I am neither. I just really hate Queen. I believe the crux of matter is Freddy Mercury, who to me is an abomination. I wouldn't care about it were it not that I cannot enjoy Brian May for this reason. I have lost an allegedly great guitar player because of his association with the wrong crowd.

If I were a homophobe, how could I love
? It is you who are guilty of generalization. I just hate one person in particular (and by implication one band).

You sound like a homophobe to me.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Poor old Dave Gilmour seems to have had that wide centre parting for quite a while now too.

I didn't think Dave had much hair left anymore, so in actual fact he has change his hair from being very long and straight in the 70's to not much at all. While Brian May has had that long silly curly hairstyle for ages.

• Members

You sound like a homophobe to me.

Seriously? I admit I hate everything about Freddy Mercury, and so also his particular ostensible in-your-face gayness. Look, music and the arts generally are meant to please or otherwise engage you - offend you, provoke you, make you understand more of life etc. - and so I feel quite justified in making no bones about the repulsion I feel. Does hating a particular artist entail that one thereby sins against the commandment that one should love one's neighbour? Not at all! It is not hatred of an ethical order; it is simply an aesthetic judgement put in the strongest or terms.

• Members

To be honest I'm not a big fan of either but between the two I'd prefer May. I just kinda dig what he does a little more than I like what Gilmour does.

Mind you I'll be first to say they are both great players but I've just never really been much into what either of them do.

• Members

I didn't think Dave had much hair left anymore, so in actual fact he has change his hair from being very long and straight in the 70's to not much at all. While Brian May has had that long silly curly hairstyle for ages.

Yes - that's what I meant about the very very very very very wide central parting.:thu: Just goes to show, we can all go bald and as long as we can still do the solo to Comforably Numb it doesn't matter.;)

• Members

David Gilmour!

He is the reason why I got interested in guitars and why several HCEG members made me this:

Sleeping.jpg

I saw the thread on the subject, but I never discovered the background for this generosity... Let me guess - you are pretty? :)

• Members

Brian May wins this one SO easily to me. I do like Queen more than Floyd but I don't think that's why I'm choosing May. In fact, I think it's because of the fact I like Brian May so much, I end up liking Queen better (Well, I love Mercury too). To me, Gilmour is an amazing blues guitarist, but as experimental and groundbreaking he was at the time, nothing is as unique as May's playing. He made a guitar sound like it wasn't a guitar and it seems as if he is just a masterful musician, as opposed to being an excellent guitar player.

But, I'm sure Gilmour fans would say the same about him, so remember, this is all IMO.

• Members

A better comparison: Knopfler vs Gilmour. That would be a tough choice.

Yeah, that was my first thought when I read the subject line. I get the hots for a lot of guitarists here and there, and I will revisit those that I've stopped listening to, but over the last 15 years or so, I'd say Gilmour and Knopfler are my two favorites to listen to. I'd still give a strong edge to Gilmour though I'd argue that Knopfler is a better technical player without sounding overly technical. They are both the epitome of a tasteful blues-based rock guitarists that almost always play the exact right part for the sing and can get creative without ever sounding unapproachable.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Gilmour.  Not just because I like Pink Floyd better than Queen, although I do, but he's just one of my favorite guitar players of all time.  His bending, his vibrato, his writing, his phrasing, his versatility, his tone.  Brian May is great, too, but David Gilmour is just a cut above almost everyone.

Archived