Poll: Brian May or David Gilmour?

DaveAronow

• Members

Well close one for me. but I will go with Dave. I think Brian has a better rhythm tone and playing but Dave's soaring leads just make me pick him. Floyd has some fun tunes too you just have to go back in time and pick out things like San Tropez, Wot's Uh Deal, Shamus, and Arnold Lane. I like them both no ill will towards those who like May better. :thu:

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Gilmore tone, is one to be craved and sought after, May does not have that for me. Well that and I can play some Gilmore...the timing keeps my brain working overtime to keep up with the counts. The space between the notes is what sets it appart for me, it's not mindless wanking.

• Members

I hear that that Brian May guy is pretty good, but I can't stand Queen - the name alone gives me the creeps - so I wouldn't know. I am voting Gilmour 100%. That Brian May dude must be lacking all sound judgement when it comes to choosing band members. Radio Ga Ga.
:mad:

That's interesting...he chose:

Freddie Mercury: iconic lead singer, wrote dozens of hit singles including one of the biggest British singles of all time, gifted piano player.

Roger Taylor: vital for high harmonies on many songs, writer of several massive hit singles such as "Radio Ga Ga", and "One Vision."

John Deacon: Electronics wizard, inspired bass player, write several massive hit singles such as "Another One Bites the Dust", "You're My Best Friend" and "I Want to Break Free."

I think Brian had a pretty good eye for bandmates, actually...

• Members

I went with May. He's the more accomplsihed/advanced overall player (but not necessarily "better"), but what really does it is the music. For me Queen was like the logical extension of the Beatles, but with better individual musicianship. They could be very experimental or just write a perfect pop song. They were at times progressive, hard rock/proto-metal, balladeers, retro, dance, and everything in between and more.

Floyd was awesome, but they were less varied overall and they have little in the way of music that isn't dark or a downer in some way (which of course is part of their awesomeness). I would guess that I would need/want more variety in the music if I was limited to one of these players. So I had to go with May and Queen...it's just my hankering for the May Queen. I mean, yes, there are two paths you can go by but in the long run...it's Queen.

Fortunately this isn't a choice I'd have to make as I would never want to only listen to one or the other. I love both players and the music they have and do create.

• Members

I hear that that Brian May guy is pretty good, but I can't stand Queen - the name alone gives me the creeps - so I wouldn't know. I am voting Gilmour 100%. That Brian May dude must be lacking all sound judgement when it comes to choosing band members. Radio Ga Ga.

So, you're a homophobe and don't recognize or appreciate good musicianship? Or are you just a troll? If it's the former, grow up and open your ears. If it's the latter, it's actually quite a good troll.

• Members

Gilmour .. i'm just a sucker for the "less is more" guitar playing. Prob why I'm a Trower fan too.. they both can do more with a few notes than others with many. May is a great guitarist but I can't see him penning a "Echoes" or such long epics. For the one that mentioned Arnold Layne, that was Sid, not David.

• Members

Easiest poll ever!

One did lend a unique voice to a unique and talented group. The other has been my favorite guitarist for the last ~15 years and is, in my opinion, the pinnacle of a lyrical blues player in a rock setting.

• Members

Huh ???

• Members

Without rambling on and on, I think Bloolight sums it up pretty well:

Gilmour is a better soloist, no doubt about it. He's got this incredible touch to his bends and vibrato that I can listen to all day long. Incredibly tasteful playing all around, with an impeccable ability to choose the right tone for the song.

May is a better pop/rock songwriter. He wrote some of Queen's most straightforward songs, and they have mile wide hooks. His riffs (Tie Your Mother Down, It's Late) can be massive, and his orchestrations are in another dimension. I also think the tone on his solo for "We Will Rock You" is one of the best guitar sounds ever put on tape.

I'd have to give Gilmour the edge as a six-stringer, but May gets the prize for all-around talent. It don't matter 'cause I loves 'em both!

I loves 'em both, too - but in the end, I prefer May - much more versatile, IMO.

• Members

Huh ???

Indeed, May must be insane to be in a band with a guy who is widely considered one of the best vocalists/frontmen in rock history.

Judging from the poll results, I guess I'm in the minority when I can't stand Floyd's more "epic" songs like SOYCD, Echoes, etc. Animals, Wish You Were Here, Dark Side of the Moon, and parts of The Wall are all I can listen to from classic Floyd. Post-Waters, Gilmour had some good songs but the songwriting is quite different. I think a Gilmour instrumental album could be very cool though.

• Members

Gilmour's playing has always been unmatched by anyone in my opinion. It inspires the soul in a huge and genuine way. It's like the music you would hear in Heaven to me.

No disrespect to May though. He's my 2nd favorite guitarist and is a true Rock n' Roll legend.

• Members

So, you're a homophobe and don't recognize or appreciate good musicianship? Or are you just a troll? If it's the former, grow up and open your ears. If it's the latter, it's actually quite a good troll.

I am neither. I just really hate Queen. I believe the crux of matter is Freddy Mercury, who to me is an abomination. I wouldn't care about it were it not that I cannot enjoy Brian May for this reason. I have lost an allegedly great guitar player because of his association with the wrong crowd.

If I were a homophobe, how could I love The Smiths? It is you who are guilty of generalization. I just hate one person in particular (and by implication one band).

Archived