Poll: Brian May or David Gilmour?

DaveAronow

• Members

Based on what I have seen over the past year here on HCEG's favorites, Hendrix usually runs away with it, with Gilmour and SRV comming in at close seconds.

Page usually comes in a little further down the list due to alot of people's perception that he has been really sloppy throuought a large part of his career.

These may or may not reflect my personal opinions, but this is DEFIN ITELY a trend I have noticed here.

Here is the actuall OFFICIAL ranking order of guitarists based opn HCEG's opinions as of 1/28/2008......

I see, well for me they would be my two most idolized guitarists. Definitely be a tough choice if I had to choose between them. Hendrix is great but just doesn't do it for me like Page/Gilmour.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd vote Gilmour over most other guitarists. Including May.

If there's one guitarist who stands out as being the most influential for me it is definitely Gilmour. Beautifully crafted solos such as the ones in Dogs and Shine On You Crazy Diamond will always have a place within me, both in my music and my life. He can make his guitar to do so much: talk, sing, shimmer, shine and squeal.

I have nothing against May, and he is influential too, just not so much to me.

• Members

WARNING: The statement I am about to make is purely personal opinion and in no way should it be construed as an invitation to tell me how stupid I am, to tell me that I have no taste in music or to insinuate that I'm not listening correctly.

i like may more. i really dig queen. i can not fucking stand pink floyd. IN MY OPINION, floyd does not sound experimental (not that i ever claimed they were an experimental band but others have). it's just very dramatic. queen could be dramatic also (and when they were they were better at it the floyd) but they could also be fun, or heavy, or... you name it. queen were a much more well rounded band and since i like queen better than pink floyd i'm going with may.

No problem here.

I asked, and you responded.

I would interpret your adamant and defensive position of your opinion to be in the expectation that you are about to be heavily flamed, because you know it is not a popular opinion around here anyway.

I agree with you, that you are right to be defensive about it and that you are probably going to get ripped a new one, but I would hope it doesnt happen.

Its funny how people get venemously defensive of their favorite players, people who they have probably never met in their lives and never will, but they do.

And you just picked a pretty popular one to speak out against.

I admire your courage.:thu:

• Members

Each fits the spirit of his band perfectly.

Gilmour's playing, like the Pink Floyd itself, is all sensitive, earnest, and introspective, with a certain defined range of subtlety that's never very jarring or disconcerting.

May's playing, like Queen, is all theatrical and flamboyant, with a hyper-melodic richness that's often on the verge of camp.

I've never been all that moved by the Pink Floyd. It's always seemed like standard-issue middle-class English schoolboy alienation to me. Queen is sillier and seems to take itself less seriously.

So I like May better.

• Members

Each fits the spirit of his band perfectly.

Gilmour's playing, like the Pink Floyd itself, is all sensitive, earnest, and introspective, with a certain defined range of subtlety that's never very jarring or disconcerting.

May's playing, like Queen, is all theatrical and flamboyant, with a hyper-melodic richness that's often on the verge of camp.

I've never been all that moved by the Pink Floyd. It's always seemed like standard-issue middle-class English schoolboy alienation to me. Queen is sillier and seems to take itself less seriously.

So I like May better.

Good descriptions and well put.:thu:

• Members

WARNING: The statement I am about to make is purely personal opinion and in no way should it be construed as an invitation to tell me how stupid I am, to tell me that I have no taste in music or to insinuate that I'm not listening correctly.

i like may more. i really dig queen. i can not {censored}ing stand pink floyd.
IN MY OPINION, floyd does not sound experimental (not that i ever claimed they were an experimental band but others have). it's just very dramatic.
queen could be dramatic also (and when they were they were better at it the floyd) but they could also be fun, or heavy, or... you name it. queen were a much more well rounded band and since i like queen better than pink floyd i'm going with may.

Your opinion and I respect that however I would like to point out that when Floyd did what they did they actually had to invent it along the way. Actually, it is one of the most experimental bands ever and this is beyond any doubt. We are talking about the late 60s here, not 1990s, you couldn't buy a Line 6 Pod for $50 on eBay back then.

• Members

You don't find songs like 'One of the Days,' or even a large portion of The Wall a touch on the jarring/disconcerting side?

It can be looked at one way, as sort of the exception rather than the rule, but to me this contrast of themes and melodies was an essential important part of the Floyd-fabric.

• Members

and being from Boston do you know anything about that really? :confused:

• Members

Imagine living in a world without the solos from Time & Comfortably Numb.

The question isnt "Queen or Floyd" it's May or Gilmour.

May is a very talented and fun player to listen to, but refer to my first statement. Those solos to me represent the pinnacle of what rock guitar offers. If they can touch your soul on some level, that's about as good as it gets. When I hear those solos, it amazes me that another person actually created it out of thin air, it's awe inspiring.

Occasionally, I will get those type of moments when listening to Mozart or Beethoven. Kind of like holy {censored}, how did he come up with that, really mind boggling stuff.

• Members

Gilmour is a better soloist, no doubt about it. He's got this incredible touch to his bends and vibrato that I can listen to all day long. Incredibly tasteful playing all around, with an impeccable ability to choose the right tone for the song.

May is a better pop/rock songwriter. He wrote some of Queen's most straightforward songs, and they have mile wide hooks. His riffs (Tie Your Mother Down, It's Late) can be massive, and his orchestrations are in another dimension. I also think the tone on his solo for "We Will Rock You" is one of the best guitar sounds ever put on tape.

I'd have to give Gilmour the edge as a six-stringer, but May gets the prize for all-around talent. It don't matter 'cause I loves 'em both!

• Members

May. Although Gilmour's best work (a few solos in my book) is spectacular and I like it more than May's work, most of his playing doesn't do much for me.

I also vastly prefer Queen to Floyd (again, outside of a few songs).

• Members

If you could choose only one to listen to for the rest of your life which one would it be and why?

I'm a HUUUUUGE fan of pre-1980 Queen, but I've never let one of their albums loop for hours on end. I've done that with "Wish You Were Here", "Animals", and "The Wall", and will again.

Gilmour by a mile, but I'm really glad polls like this are theoretical....

• Members

I hear that that Brian May guy is pretty good, but I can't stand Queen - the name alone gives me the creeps - so I wouldn't know. I am voting Gilmour 100%. That Brian May dude must be lacking all sound judgement when it comes to choosing band members. Radio Ga Ga. :mad:

Archived