Poll: Brian May or David Gilmour?

DaveAronow

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

koaguilds wrote:

May is gay. Who the hell that is straight names their band Queen????

Who cares?  If you didn't know, Hendrix was......

Black!  shhhhhh....

• 8 months later...
  • Members

firstly i love both fior me ones third and ones first in my top 3 my first is glimour and my third is may simply because when gilmour plays i feel his passion everytime he plays the song just gets awsome while may hes fun his highly skilled but somtimes i just dont feel the same passion for his solo's.

gilmours just better in my opinion :smiley-bounce002:

• Members

I have 2 other Floyd albums DSOTM being one of them. .... but I can't bear to listen to them from start to finish. ... they're too morbid sounding. But like how I listen to Vai. .. love him in small doses but is very easy to OD on stuff like that. .. for different reasons to in those two examples but the basic provoke is the same Queen's music is happier and more appealing to me simple as that.

• Members

Yeah, Floyd as a greatest hits band doesn't work. They aren't a singles band at all. Queen, with singles covering a lot of very diverse sounds, could be called a singles or greatest hits band much more so than Floyd.

Oh, and on the zombie OP, I would pick Gilmour, on account of liking Floyd much more. But May has beautiful tone, and he's a great, versatile player. As players I rank them about the same.

• Members

What I mean is

The only Pink Floyd songs I like are the hits you hear on the radio..... Their albums with sounds of pigs grunting, and robots twerking are B-O-R-I-N-G. I could never listen to a Floyd album start to finish.

Queen have several albums where I may only not like 1 or 2 songs on the whole album.....Floyd albums...I like 1 or 2 songs.... skip the rest of the filler and sound effects.

Then.... you have to consider that all that Floyd really brings is Gilmours guitar, and at times, quality songwriting.

Queen brings May's guitar which is at minimum equal to Gilmour, and a much more unique tone, quality songwriting (Queen has surpassed the Beatles in England in records sold)..... but Queen also brings arguably rock's greatest frontman.... and while we all can hopefully agree that Freddie is the best singer in BOTH bands.....I would argue that Queen's Roger Taylor is better singer than any member of Pink Floyd......I know he is better than Waters who talks through his parts.

• Members

Impossible to choose one over the other. Both have instantly recognizable styles. Both ONLY play what's needed. Both have incredible tone. Brian probably has more chops ( meaningless, as Steve Lukather says, Chops don't equal MUSIC.) than David.  Dave is a SLOWhand and more the GREAT for it! For me, I simply can't choose one as "better' than the other. IF I could ONLY listen to ONE, however, I'd have to pick Brian as he's probably a bit more versatile, although I'd sure as Hell miss those magnificent solos on Comfortably Numb!

Archived