Anyone intersted in the Squier Army?

Cooley

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When I put the GFS pickups in the toggle was added to cut the neck pickup on and off so it could be used with the bridge pickup or have all 3 pickups on at once. The bridge pickup is wireed to have a tone control too.

Quote Originally Posted by elsupermanny14

View Post

What is the mini toggle switch for?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mikesr1963

View Post

When I put the GFS pickups in the toggle was added to cut the neck pickup on and off so it could be used with the bridge pickup or have all 3 pickups on at once. The bridge pickup is wireed to have a tone control too.

If you have the pickups selector on the neck pickup and you turn the neck pickup off does it cut the guitar's sound? In other words, can it work like an "on/off" switch for the guitar?

• Members

No, but if you got 3 way mini toggle you could wire it what way.

Quote Originally Posted by elsupermanny14

View Post

If you have the pickups selector on the neck pickup and you turn the neck pickup off does it cut the guitar's sound? In other words, can it work like an "on/off" switch for the guitar?

• 6 months later...
  • Members

This one is part Squier. 2002-ish Squier Standard body and trem. The body is actually that metallic black. Pickups are Lace Hot Golds, neck is a Fender Robert Cray signature. It's actually a pretty cool guitar and fairly unique-looking in my lineup of very surf-oriented strats though I do need to get some proper cream knobs.

DSC_9710a1.jpg

• Members

And this 1989 Korean Squier body had been my testbed for color testing. It started as a Fiesta-ish red, then I refinished it to Celery where it stayed for a few years. This I started doing the testing thing.

It has had partial areas of two colors of coral, a more tomato-look Fiesta, charcoal metallic, a metallic blue, a teal color and a couple coats of primer here and there (the white areas).

I was just scuffing it up with the sander to get ready for a champaign-ish color but I liked how it looked. Think I'll throw it together with the Squier standard neck from the above guitar, GFS Premium Alnico V pickups I pulled from a guitar a few years ago and maybe a pickguard I'll paint matte black with the idea that it will get scratched up pretty quickly.

IMG_0390a1.jpg

• Members

I would put a satin clear coat on that, like they do with some old cars, and keep it like that. Any chrome parts I would us a scotch bright pad on and turn it satin as well. That's just bad-ass.

Quote Originally Posted by cratz2

View Post

And this 1989 Korean Squier body had been my testbed for color testing. It started as a Fiesta-ish red, then I refinished it to Celery where it stayed for a few years. This I started doing the testing thing.

It has had partial areas of two colors of coral, a more tomato-look Fiesta, charcoal metallic, a metallic blue, a teal color and a couple coats of primer here and there (the white areas).

I was just scuffing it up with the sander to get ready for a champaign-ish color but I liked how it looked. Think I'll throw it together with the Squier standard neck from the above guitar, GFS Premium Alnico V pickups I pulled from a guitar a few years ago and maybe a pickguard I'll paint matte black with the idea that it will get scratched up pretty quickly.

IMG_0390a1.jpg

• Members

Got her put together. Didn't have any flat black for the pickguard so I used a can of 'oil-rubbed bronze; which is pretty much black, but has a slightly bronze tint to it from some angles.

Guitar sounds great but I've never liked these Squier Standard necks. I think I've had four or maybe five them... mostly to flip... but they all seem very unexceptional to me. Even Affinity necks and the Squier 51 necks seem a little better.

Oh well... great-sound guitar that looks unique and I have next to nothing in it.

DSC_9738a1.jpg

• Members

Damn that's awesome looking.

View Post

Got her put together. Didn't have any flat black for the pickguard so I used a can of 'oil-rubbed bronze; which is pretty much black, but has a slightly bronze tint to it from some angles.

Guitar sounds great but I've never liked these Squier Standard necks. I think I've had four or maybe five them... mostly to flip... but they all seem very unexceptional to me. Even Affinity necks and the Squier 51 necks seem a little better.

Oh well... great-sound guitar that looks unique and I have next to nothing in it.

DSC_9738a1.jpg

• Members

View Post

DSC_9738a1.jpg

cool cheapie! thumb.gif

• Members

Squier Strat SE I picked up for $84 out the door at Sam Ash. These SE strats are true sleepers - full thickness bodies, small headstock, decent tuners. Upgrade the electronics and trem you have a seriously killer strat for very little money. I'm fixing this one up for a friend of mine to give his son for Christmas.

IMG_5987.jpg

Squier Telecaster Special - these came out of the factory with a bridge humbucker and strat neck pickup. I put a twisted tele neck pickup and Kent Armstrong Vintage 12 N in this one. I also replaced the bridge saddles with Fender bent steel saddles. Totally_jammin_out.gif

IMG_5983.jpg

IMG_5985.jpg

• Members

I have a Squier Affinity Tele that's butterscotch with a black plate on it; only paid. $179 for it but shielded cavity; installed all new electronics including 4 way wiring, graphtech saddles (probably one of the best imorovements tone wise) and an orange sprague cap plus put in a Dimarzio Area T neck and and Area T hot in the bridge. It's actually one of my best sounding and playing guitars I have and I own high end guitars which include a Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro, a Gibson ES-335, and a Fender American Standard among others. It keeps up right along with them and sounds better than the MIMs and just about as good as the American Standard and Deluxe Teles but of course not as well built.

• Members

DSC02397.JPG

After playing hollow and semi-hollow bodies since 1983 I thought I would try a solid body. My wife gave me this Squier Affinity Series as a gift.It was nice but one thing led to another till I found the right sound. Went to Fender Vintage Noiseless PUPs then replaced the 500k pots with 250k and replaced the cheap 3 way switch with a better one and went to an orange drop cap. It stated to get pretty good but not quite right so I replaced the 3 way switch with a 250k blend pot , now it is really good but the tone got a little darker so out came the tone pot and in went a Fender no-load pot . For what I play it is perfect I can play classic rock ,blues,country and even jazz because the blend pot gives me some real tonal options.

Sure people look down on Squiers but I would not have been so quick to experiment with an American Tele. and now I would not even want one unless it had my set-up

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived