• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Hanglow

View Post

Here's what I've done to that car boot squier -

8OfZa.jpg

wilkinson tuners installed as I bought some gotohs but they didn't fit, I'd got the wrong diameter ones - also a wilkinson loaded tort guard.

seeing as I now had a spare set of gotohs, I set about finding another guitar to put them on - got this stagg strat copy in excellent condition for

• Members

OMG...that is the ruler!

Quote Originally Posted by MattKirkcaldie

View Post

Another odd one, 1983 SQ Japan Tele Custom:

4803601298_2e59f89dfd_b.jpg

Don't know if I would be an Army member since I had a Squier 51 which came and went, never clicked with it. But the SQ beats my Fenders pretty easily.

• Members

Right on! Yeah, those JVs and SQs are pretty tits in my opinion... at least most of them that I've played have been. thumb.gif

Quote Originally Posted by MattKirkcaldie

View Post

Another odd one, 1983 SQ Japan Tele Custom:

4803601298_2e59f89dfd_b.jpg

Don't know if I would be an Army member since I had a Squier 51 which came and went, never clicked with it. But the SQ beats my Fenders pretty easily.

• Members
Still a member in good standing.

I began my Squier relationship with this MIJ from the early 80's

Squierjapan.jpg

I have this same guitar in black. bought it for $60 and it was well relic'd. Replaced the pickguard with a replacement from Fender, Some unknown DiMarzio in the bridge, and some Gotoh Vintage Back locking tuners. Awesome.

• Members

I've got a Classic Vibe 50's Tele. It's amazing that I haven't had the need to change ANY of the parts on the guitar. I'm looking at getting a Standard Strat with a maple fingerboard and throw in a Hot Rails to do some Van Halen stuff.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by EricJohn

View Post

I've got a Classic Vibe 50's Tele. It's amazing that I haven't had the need to change ANY of the parts on the guitar. I'm looking at getting a Standard Strat with a maple fingerboard and throw in a Hot Rails to do some Van Halen stuff.

I kept the stock set from my '50's CV and used them for this build with a 4 way switch. Nice sounding pickups! thumb.gif

IMG_4393.jpg

• Members

If the quality difference is anything like the difference between the Squier 51 I had, compared to my Japan Fenders (which the Fender 51 is), I'd say it was worth an extra 400-600. The Squier 51 was great for $120 but not up there with the best - the neck felt like a budget computer desk and the hardware was as cheap as it gets. My SQ Squier, that's a different story, like night and day from the Indonesian Squiers.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Figure I'll give the thread its October bump. icon_lol.gif

Bought another '51 from a local forum member. I had three other '51s back when they were clearing them out but flipped them all in stock form.

I put some solid GFS saddles on it and popped a BG Vintage 60 in the neck while the strings were off. Put on some 10s and tweaked the setup. Couple slightly high frets I need to work on but otherwise, a very decent guitar.

I'm a modder at heart and, weather permitting, I want to refinish this one in Fiesta red and drop a zebra Dimarzio 'bucker of some sort in the bridge position. Might go with one of those GFS Wilkinson La Cabronita type bridges.

DSC_8574a1.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

New year bump.

I put a Fender Reissue mint green guard on my JV series Squier, transforming it from a Gilmour knockoff:

DSC_6972a1.jpg

To something a bit more classic... some would say 'bland'. icon_lol.gif

Strung it up with flats as well and tweaked the setup.

DSC_8873a1.jpg

DSC_8886a1.jpg

DSC_8924a1.jpg

DSC_8895a1.jpg

DSC_8918a1.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cratz2

View Post

Figure I'll give the thread its October bump. icon_lol.gif

Bought another '51 from a local forum member. I had three other '51s back when they were clearing them out but flipped them all in stock form.

I put some solid GFS saddles on it and popped a BG Vintage 60 in the neck while the strings were off. Put on some 10s and tweaked the setup. Couple slightly high frets I need to work on but otherwise, a very decent guitar.

I'm a modder at heart and, weather permitting, I want to refinish this one in Fiesta red and drop a zebra Dimarzio 'bucker of some sort in the bridge position. Might go with one of those GFS Wilkinson La Cabronita type bridges.

DSC_8574a1.jpg

the wilkinson cut off tele bridge is cheaper here:

http://www.azguitarparts.com

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by vintage clubber

View Post

the wilkinson cut off tele bridge is cheaper here:

http://www.azguitarparts.com

Right on... thanks VC! thumb.gif

I actually got that one all fret leveled, crowned and polished about a month ago. Not sure she's a keeper as I am going to try to thin the herd by at least 5 or so this year and this will be one of the first to go, but it's a great playing guitar at this point and that Vintage 60 in the neck sounds great.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Don't know if all my fellow Squier enthusiasts here are aware, but Tony Bacon has a new (and really facinating!) book out, called 'Squier Electrics' - a celebration of 30 years of the Squier name.

Highly recommended! thumb.gif

See video here:

• Members

Still playing a lot on my $35 Squier Strat, but I've also snagged a real nice Squier P-bass. Has a Squier neckplate anyway, but nothing on the headstock...I believe it's a replacement neck. Whoever owned it prior to me upgraded the neck and added a tort guard and pickup cover (which I removed.) I got it for $125 and it is a killer bass. I've owned many a fine P-bass and this one is a great example. Still not sure how much of it is Squier though. Only evidence I have that it's a Squier is the neckplate. Could be a parts build from god knows what parts but as I got it so cheap I expect it's Squier.

I should be adding my third Squier to the collection soon. If all goes according to plan, a "vintage blonde" squier Standard Telecaster should be to my door soon.

Archived