OPEN LETTER TO HCEG Administration

DaveAronow

• Members

When I decided to get back into the music scene after several years, I was drawn to this community.  That was about ten years ago. Things were vibrant here and there was such a wealth of information, diversity, and freedom to speak your mind.

There was no site like this for musicians anywhere IMHO. Like the saying goes: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

But they tried to do just that a couple of years back when corporate bought it out. Numbers started to dwindle then, especially the people that had been constant fixtures within the community.

And they tinkered again a few months ago, once more driving what is left of the 'die hards" to the brink of crucial decisions of finally giving up.

I am becoming one of those. I just lurk for maybe a couple of minutes a day now and move on. There is really nothing left to see any more.

I spend any musical forum time now at Mark Wein's site. It actually feels like a true community. It doesn't have quite the spirit yet that this place once had, but it is growing and I see the future for it.

Put a fork in this............. it's over. Accept it.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This says it all. Cannot be bothered to police it properly so delete the whole of a thread because of some unacceptable posts.

fail

Community Manager

Dendy Jarrett

Re: I will donate $20 to the person who tabs this correctly[ New ]

D

Bringing the Harmony back to Harmony Central

• Members

I started coming here maybe ten years ago. At first it was only for the gear reviews, and then I chanced into forums. Yes, there were those who used it as their own sms system, talked lots of stupid stuff, but kind of like that uncle that came to family reunions. You get used to them, you adapt. And tho I have never met another poster in person, you do get to know them in a sense.

I stopped coming when the last big changeover came: too much hassle, couldn't find anything.... wandering in a dark room. Then, by chance a few weeks ago I said "what the heck" and tried again. It is not as bad as it was, but still could be improved. Like showing which posts I have already looked at, which was a feature before I appreciated. It seems a few tweaks could help. Seems the pursuit now is for lowest common denominator, be able to access with a magic 8 ball. I understand the desire for a broader audience, but take care of the customers you have first.

The gear reviews "are back"... but site looks like Cambodia after Khmer Rouge emptied the cities. A few of us digging around for goodies like in "The Road".... WHERE ARE THE OLD REVIEWS? Akin to the burning of the library at Alexandria by the Romans. NO WHERE ELSE was there such a trove. Have the hard drives been wiped clean? Are they in the back collecting electronic dust? Do everyone a favor and figure a way to have the WHOLE review data base available!!

Forums and reviews: that is what attracted us, and kept us. Get that part straight. Why it changed, who knows, but I always liked the idea "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Since that was ignored, "If it is broke, fix it".

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

... xleroyx, Black Hat Hunter, and many others sharing kickass original music

Oh kayd_mon, you make me blush.

I like how I can ask a question about pretty much anything and get responses that have actually helped me with my music, life and finances (haven't wasted a ton of cash on gear!)

• Members

For me, this forum has always been 99.9999999% about the personalities and people here.

Everyrhing else is just a trace afterthought.

In all the gazillions of hours I've spent here, I can only think of a handful of times I ever logged on to look for something specific.

Almost my entire history here was just to log on and see who is saying what, what all of my idiot, genius, goofball, serious, extremely knowleable, cluelees noob, laid back, crazy, gregarious, nasty, pompous, and every other adjective that describes individual personalities were talking about that day.

Who was saying what, and who was saying what in response.

I learned a ton.
Hopefully I shared some insight
I laughed my ass off, oops, did I just say ASS out loud? Sorry
Hopefully I caused a chuckle or three
I made REAL friends
Imy heart qas warmed with some of the ridiculously unselfish acts of charity and kindness
My heart was broken by the loss of those I considered family even though I never met them

Yeah, this place has never been about anything other than interacting with fellow musicians, who by their very nature are slightly different than normal society anyway.

Those differences made us the kinds of people that gravitate towards the DOING side of things like music and playing guitar.

Those personality differences are really the only thing that makes this forum different and as a result, infinitely more interesting and exciting than some generic heavily modded heavily policed forum that pretty much kills any sense of individual personalities because the real people that visit tjose forums aren't allowed to be real people.

I guess THAT is what this whole thing boils down to.

This forum has always allowed real people to be themselves, real people and as a result it became a place where a bunch of regular good friends met to shoot the  $hit, II mean doo doo, can I say that? mostly based around the topic of music. 

THAT is why I have been here for so long with so much enthusiasm. Because it was fun. The people here, my friends new and old made it fun.

Fix the forum functionality and some of the old people will come back. Some never will , but fix it, and those of us left who remember what was awesome about this forum, and those new people that have had a taste of it will help rebuild it. The numbers will eventually get back up. The add dollars will return.

But if you kill the personalities, you will kill the people, you wi. Kill the fun and you will kill the fun.

This for was fun. THAT is why the regulars that brought in the masses of traffic were here.

Is any of this sinking in at all?

We are trying to tell you what was different about this forum that made it a worldwide successful phenominon.

Because it was fun..

Because it was fun..

• Members

DaveAronow wrote:

For me, this forum has always been 99.9999999% about the personalities and people here.

Everyrhing else is just a trace afterthought.

In all the gazillions of hours I've spent here, I can only think of a handful of times I ever logged on to look for something specific.

Almost my entire history here was just to log on and see who is saying what, what all of my idiot, genius, goofball, serious, extremely knowleable, cluelees noob, laid back, crazy, gregarious, nasty, pompous, and every other adjective that describes individual personalities were talking about that day.

Who was saying what, and who was saying what in response.

I learned a ton.

Hopefully I shared some insight

I laughed my ass off, oops, did I just say ASS out loud? Sorry

Hopefully I caused a chuckle or three

I made REAL friends

Imy heart qas warmed with some of the ridiculously unselfish acts of charity and kindness

My heart was broken by the loss of those I considered family even though I never met them

Yeah, this place has never been about anything other than interacting with fellow musicians, who by their very nature are slightly different than normal society anyway.

Those differences made us the kinds of people that gravitate towards the DOING side of things like music and playing guitar.

Those personality differences are really the only thing that makes this forum different and as a result, infinitely more interesting and exciting than some generic heavily modded heavily policed forum that pretty much kills any sense of individual personalities because the real people that visit tjose forums aren't allowed to be real people.

I guess THAT is what this whole thing boils down to.

This forum has always allowed real people to be themselves, real people and as a result it became a place where a bunch of regular good friends met to shoot the  $hit, II mean doo doo, can I say that? mostly based around the topic of music. 

THAT is why I have been here for so long with so much enthusiasm. Because it was fun. The people here, my friends new and old made it fun.

Fix the forum functionality and some of the old people will come back. Some never will , but fix it, and those of us left who remember what was awesome about this forum, and those new people that have had a taste of it will help rebuild it. The numbers will eventually get back up. The add dollars will return.

But if you kill the personalities, you will kill the people, you wi. Kill the fun and you will kill the fun.

This for was fun. THAT is why the regulars that brought in the masses of traffic were here.

Is any of this sinking in at all?

We are trying to tell you what was different about this forum that made it a worldwide successful phenominon.

Because it was fun..

Because it was fun..

^^^ This spells out why I love Dave.

From a safe distance, and in a BROTHERLY kind of way, of course.

Or maybe the other way...

Back to the occasional lurk.

• Members

I must be a ten year member at least. A so-called super contributor. My mod thread on another forum has almost 80k views. Since the recent changes the HC interface just queers me out. No more super contributions from me. I mostly just come back for the complaint threads LOL.

You totally "new Coked" yourself here HC. Epic marketing faux pas. Pave paradise, put in a parking lot.

• Members

Good post...As a member here for more than 10yrs and a few years before that as a lurker, this place absolutely blows now. Whoever is in charge keeps shoving this forum down our throats when most all say its horrible. No one is getting used it, that time frame has come and gone.

Stop trying to convert us to liking it when it is obvious we do not.

Just set up a new forum and don't worry about all previous post. Sure it would suck to lose all that but whatever, start from scratch and get rid of this POS.

• Members

I'm fairly conservative in my rock 'n roll tastes and can only play the simplest of arrangements. But I loved coming here. The conversation, debate, flat out fights, interplay, trolling, build threads and demos here were entertaining, and thought provoking. No other site was like HC.

Now HC is maybe the dullest site I visit and I come here less as time goes on. If this is the goal you are succeeding. If it were up to me I'd fire you yesterday.

Come on take care of business.

• Members

Here is a possible scenario.

CEO. "Dendy you useless knob. What the **** have you done to the forum? Traffic is zero and the advertisers are going crazy."

DENDY. " er, er , er, we are refocusing boss. A whole new demographic that will increase traffic and revenue."

Good luck with that Dendy, let us know how it goes!

• Members

knotty wrote:

Here is a possible scenario.

CEO. "Dendy you useless knob. What the **** have you done to the forum? Traffic is zero and the advertisers are going crazy."

DENDY. " er, er , er, we are refocusing boss. A whole new demographic that will increase traffic and revenue."

Good luck with that Dendy, let us know how it goes!

lol, That's probably pretty accurate.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Fixing HC so that

Undesirable language is

Censored from the forum looks like it might finally

Kill the site.

I don't understand. How will censoring undesirable fuking language kill the site? We can still talk about fuking guitars and {censored}e, right? Or has that been banned too?

Archived