The Daily Question For Drummers Thread

kindbeats

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by race81

View Post

I work on the same thing over and over its called

LEFT HAND STUPID................Until I can get my left hand to do what my right hand can all the rest is just useless.

Pretty much the same thing here. Lots of {censored} with my left hand. And making my right foot be independent from it.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Gremson

View Post

Pretty much the same thing here. Lots of {censored} with my left hand. And making my right foot be independent from it.

Hey Gremson, try this exercise out for independence between feet and hands. It should help a lot!

• Members

Been working on not a lot of technique, just getting ready for my first gig back since my broken leg fiasco. The songs we're covering have pretty easy beats, but I'm working on spicing things up a bit so I'll let you know what I'm working on when I figure it out! lol...

And, in response to previous question, kick is 22" x 16"

• Members

Practice: about every Weds and maybe Thurs (my days off) for about 2-4 hrs. (Muted drums played wit blaststicks/sound like the drums you heard on MTV Unplugged)

Bass: Yamaha Stage Custom 17x22.

Last thing on Drums: didn't play tonight, wasn't feeling right earlier. last week and lately I have been playing along with random old CDs that I haven't heard or played with in ages. Last CD was Foreigner's Agent Provacator from 84' with songs "I Want to Know What Love Is" "That Was Yesterday" "Love In Vain"

(sidebar) The other day, the shelf that holds an old glass beer pitcher with my Hard Rock sticks and such in it fell and glass broke, so tonight I moved drums and cleaned up all the glass. Some of it had gotten in between the drums rim and edge of the head so I took the rims off, cleaned them off and retightened the toms heads and retuned them. Hopefully I get to practice Thurs night!

• Members

Today's Question: What are some of your favorite styles 0f music to play?

Oh man, so many. If I had to pick only a few, I would probably go with funk, jazz, brazilian, and afro-cuban.

Edit: Damn, I almost forgot freeform/experimental. Probably my favorite out of all of them!

• Members

Rock...and big band era swing/Chicago Blues...the second being what I'd like to do, if I had all the right pieces because I think it'd be VERY successful...just getting over the hump and playing out would be the hard part.

The first, being because thats what I like.

But, as a drummer, it really doesn't matter what the music is.

• Members

we have one song in our set that was described to me the first time i played is as "think of, like, an old school burlesque gig. something you'd hear at some seedy strip club in hollywood at 3am in 1965."

it has this SUPER cool feel, that like total bum-bum-BAH bum-bum-BAH thing.

i swear, it's my favorite song in our set by miles and miles. that style is SO fun to play and has so many possibilities.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kindbeats

View Post

Today's Question: How often do you break your sticks?

It's extremely rare for me these days. Usually only happens when I'm playing some heavy rock (I use 7A's).

Depends. Sometimes I go a week or two without breaking one. Sometimes, like last practice, I broke two. Usually they just shred to the point where the mess they make isn't worth it and I replace 'em.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kindbeats View Post
Today's Question: How often do you break your sticks?

It's extremely rare for me these days. Usually only happens when I'm playing some heavy rock (I use 7A's).
I break anywhere from 0 to 6 every time I get behind the kit with my band. I use ProMark 747N

• Members

I've had exactly one stick break in the past 3 years. That was a new stick so I assume it was a bad stick. My problem is the tips keep chipping out and they become flat and unuseable. I probably replace my sticks on the average of one or two pair every six weeks or so.

• Members

Break?

Rarely. Like many others, I'll wear a pair down until they are useless, and toss them. Or if I pick up a pair that's borderline and happen to get to that point with them while practicing, I may push it beyond usable in the middle of a song, at which point, I generally give it a good solid strike right on the weak point on the rim of my floor tom to snap it in half.

Maybe break a stick every couple months otherwise.

• Members

I used to buy the cheap bricks of stick.

First I'd get the cheapest available. I'd break at least one every practice.

Then I got a decent priced brick and break one every two to three practices.

Then a buddy of mine left a pair of Vic Firth 5Bs at my place a few months ago and I haven't broken one yet.

This could have something to do with improving my technique over the past few months.

• Members

not very often. i'd say a pair will last me a couple months. the wood hoops on the keplinger really do a number on them from rimshots (note to all those that wonder how well my beloved wood hoops hold up - incredibly well), which i do quite a lot of and i have a pretty angular attack on the hats, so the tips get chewed up pretty good as well.

that said, i honestly don't even remember the last time i bought a pair of sticks, now that i think about it. maybe sometime in november? usually buy two pair at a time. and, of course, i play some pretty chunky ones.

Archived