The Daily Question For Drummers Thread

kindbeats

• Members

Yep; pretty serious state program, recognized in state and beyond.
Played bass drum my first couple years (began arranging our parts (5 different size/pitch drums) later), then auditioned for & got quads/co-section lead my senior year.
I marched in the Gator Bowl parade and pre-game (as part of a World Record setting effort for largest massed band) one year, at Epcot, Sea World, a couple times at Chicago's Soldier Field, etc.

Coordination needed for playing quads is why I jumped from hack to competent kit player so quickly at that point.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yup, in HS. Tri-toms then lead snare. Played in front of about 100k people at a Cal Bear game one time for High School Band Day.

My nipples were hard for a week.
(TMI, I know)

Edit:
Ps: just googled stadium, actual normal attendance is 60k people, 70k on occasion
pps: they were still hard

• Members

An original hardcore punk song my eventual first bandmates had demoed without drums.

We had been talking music, they said they needed a drummer, I said I played (at that point, more than a bit of exaggeration; I had most of a kit, but had never actually played).
They handed me their demo tape and said "Learn these; we'll come to your place in 2 weeks and record you."

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Eyehearya View Post
Snare alone? Yankee Doodle? Twinkle Twinkle? something in 5th grade band class.
I'm with this guy; whatever we played first in 5th grad band was the first song I played on drums (or a drum, really).
As far as kit is concerned, I don't really know. It was either a song my sister and her friend wrote (they play guitar) or Smells like Teen Spirit.

• Members

1st attempt at a song was Night Train, and I did about as poor of a job as was possible w/o being bound,dizzy, and drunk.

My first song I performed was Girl from Ipanema, it was at an Eagle, club I was in the 7th grade.
Years later I played the same club with my band. The place was filled past capacity and the dancers had the floor literally bucking under their feet in time w/ my Bass drum, the riser was in turn bumping in time w/ my bass as well (though just behind)
I thought it was awesome, the dancers mentioned the floor feeling like jello, and I guess the manager of the club was running around like a maniac freaking out thinking that the floor would give at any moment, anyway, it was a far cry from the scene at the Eagles Club scholarship dinner.

Archived