THE DRUMMERS GIG REPORT THREAD...........

race81

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Had a great gig this past saturday. Event was put on by a motorcycle club and another local club. Three bands on the day we played. We had the middle spot and worked out good for us. Nice new stage, using our own gear for ourselves. Here is a pic of the stage before we started and were getting ready to soundcheck.

BIGDEALPICS036.jpg

We had a decent crowd, a little different feel for us as this stage was bigger than our normal closeness we usually play at.

Customary Kit shot......

BIGDEALPICS037.jpg

Being there was a host of things going on while we were playing.........to my far right a bike burnout pit...to my immediate right a dunk tank, that for some reason kept taking my mind off of playing...smile.gif.......to my left was the beer wagons, beer wagon bar and huge table that was near, that for some reason attracted women to dance on a little later in our third and final set.

BIGDEALPICS038.jpg

The last band was called The Notorius Nightcrawlers......a blues band that really have theyre crap together. I met a talked with theyre drummer "Joe" and talked shop in between our sets.......he has a cool tat.....great guy.

BIGDEALPICS040.jpg

So I had a great weekend, not only playing, but meeting some new musicians and talking drums.......rockin weekend. This friday we play at a Harley dealer for another event....

• Members

Yes, there was a period of around 30 minutes that the sun was directly into us. I just popped my sunglasses on and kept pushin!

Quote Originally Posted by lsits

View Post

Looks like a fun time. Must have been tough with the setting sun in your eyes.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by 6topher

View Post

got a nice fill in call at an outdoor arts fest with the surf band this sat. - $300 for a 45 minute set. Good work considering we are playing 3 1 hour sets for that next month.

Which fest and when's your set? Maybe I can come w/ the fam.

• Members

This is crazy: My Wednesday night band took a break last week, and as I was loading in last night, it seemed like I hadn't been in the club for a long time, even though it was only two weeks. How strange! Anybody else experience anything like that?

...and next week is gonna be the 'week from Hell' for me - Wed night gig, Thurs night rehearsal, Friday, Saturday and Sunday night gigs. Come Monday Oct 1st, I'm gonna be a wreck.... mainly from having to carry my stuff up and down the stairs to/from my 4th floor apartment!

• Members

Ive told my bandmates it feels strange if we dont either practice, or play a gig once a week. Seems to hurt the tightness of the group also. Ive found that keeping things fresh in my mind is a good thing even tho our setlist for the most part doesnt change........maybe im just gettin old!

Quote Originally Posted by the DW

View Post

This is crazy: My Wednesday night band took a break last week, and as I was loading in last night, it seemed like I hadn't been in the club for a long time, even though it was only two weeks. How strange! Anybody else experience anything like that?

...and next week is gonna be the 'week from Hell' for me - Wed night gig, Thurs night rehearsal, Friday, Saturday and Sunday night gigs. Come Monday Oct 1st, I'm gonna be a wreck.... mainly from having to carry my stuff up and down the stairs to/from my 4th floor apartment!

• Members

so irritating yesterday - the surf band trio plays a little arts festival, beautiful day - nice pay.

but the organizers & the stage manager hassle us the entire set about the volume. the sound guys tells my guitarist he will "kill the power" repeatedly.

Now we are experienced players, I am playing a 20/12/14 kit unmiced outside w/ 7a's, the crowd is dancing, kids are in front hula hooping, the art vendors closest to the stage are grooving & all smiles.

but these 2 stage managers are beating us up the whole time -argh. We are definitely on the quietest side of what a live band sounds like.

so irritating, but I will still deposit the check.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by 6topher

View Post

so irritating yesterday - the surf band trio plays a little arts festival, beautiful day - nice pay.

but the organizers & the stage manager hassle us the entire set about the volume. the sound guys tells my guitarist he will "kill the power" repeatedly.

Now we are experienced players, I am playing a 20/12/14 kit unmiced outside w/ 7a's, the crowd is dancing, kids are in front hula hooping, the art vendors closest to the stage are grooving & all smiles.

but these 2 stage managers are beating us up the whole time -argh. We are definitely on the quietest side of what a live band sounds like.

so irritating, but I will still deposit the check.

It never ceases to amaze me how folks can hire a live band with drums and not understand what it is they're gonna get. mad.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by the DW

View Post

It never ceases to amaze me how folks can hire a live band with drums and not understand what it is they're gonna get. mad.gif

and they were so clueless that the "stage manager" was totally confused by me setting up my kit on the sidewalk - "you know you have 15 minutes between bands for that?" -

• Members

I played a local outdoor festival with the new band Friday night. It really FELT good. Finally getting a better feel for the guitar player and starting to lock in with the bass player. Prolly sounded the best we have since I started working with them. One funny thing that happened- The organizers had placed a bicycle rack directly in front of the stage area ( redneck crowd control, I reckon) and about three songs into the first set some kid rode his bike up, looked around at us, then parked his bike in the rack and locked it up. It stayed there the whole time we played.

• Members

Friday night, outdoors at a Harley Davidson Dealership. Good power supply, nice crowds in and out all night. Started selling shirts, and actually sold a few, gave away a lot of bumper/window stickers. Music went decent, but seems at times we are too relaxed. The outdoor pavillion we played under sounded like it was going to fall apart everytime we hit the kick drum or bass guitar......i think they need to tighten up some rivots or bolts or something! Did I say it was cold?? Too cold, we had dew and moisture setting on gear as we were tearing down. Got a chance to try out a new to me brass snare I bought off a guy on craigslist. It came with an aquarian top coated batter head. Sounded great out of the box as long as I hit the sweet spot with the correct stick angle every time. I switched back to my luddy after two sets, its way more forgiving. Another great night.......heading to Mexico to drink half naked on the beach in a couple of days. Time to re-vitalize myself.

BIGDEALPICS047_zps6122f033.jpg

BIGDEALPICS041_zpsa9943149.jpg

BIGDEALPICS045_zps65b32628.jpg

BIGDEALPICS044_zps64ebd84e.jpg

BIGDEALPICS046_zps4fa3f40c.jpg

• Members

Great to hear your gettin back into the swing of things.!! Rednecks in texas?....really?? JK What kit are you takin out with ya...the peace or the pearl?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy

View Post

I played a local outdoor festival with the new band Friday night. It really FELT good. Finally getting a better feel for the guitar player and starting to lock in with the bass player. Prolly sounded the best we have since I started working with them. One funny thing that happened- The organizers had placed a bicycle rack directly in front of the stage area ( redneck crowd control, I reckon) and about three songs into the first set some kid rode his bike up, looked around at us, then parked his bike in the rack and locked it up. It stayed there the whole time we played.

• Members

Played at the Blue Angels reception last night, at the Officer's Club at Kaneohe Marine Corps Base. They had us set up on the pool deck:

stage_zpsea5cc515.jpg

Somewhat later, I got this shot of the view off the deck:

view2_zps273fe9f5.jpg

Nice thing was, because we set up so early for our performance, they let us partake of the food and drink! I love this kind of gig!

• Members

Mediocre gig Fri. Night...we played well but had PA/system challenges all first set. Our sound guy was having trouble focusing and getting things done during set up, and it carried into the show.

Venue manager asked him to turn us down during first set despite the fact that people were carrying in conversations without shouting less than 10 feet out...

Feedback from audience we talked to on break was that we sound great but they couldn't hear the vocals at all ( basically all that was going through PA).

Meh.

On short sleep, loaded out to a day fest gig with my side project Saturday at 11 am. Decent playing, mediocre sound provided, appreciative client and audience.

But I was beat and unable to really enjoy it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kmart

View Post

...On short sleep, loaded out to a day fest gig with my side project Saturday at 11 am. Decent playing, mediocre sound provided, appreciative client and audience. But I was beat and unable to really enjoy it.

I hate when that happens. For me, it becomes an effort just to stay in focus. I'm getting too old, I guess! icon_lol.gif

• Members

DW, heck of a nice view behind the stage for y'all! Can't beat that...

Had a very fun show Saturday night at my "home" bar in Worcester, MA. Packed the place, rocked it pretty hard for most of the night, too! I was sore on Sunday - I put alot into the show because I was having so much fun. Some times the physicality of drumming is just very enjoyable to me. smile.gif

I got to try out the Beat Bug for the gig, which I really liked, and I had a new Vater stick holder, which came in shocking useful during one song when I dropped a stick TWICE IN A ROW. Like within 2 measures. What. The. Hell. facepalm.gif

Another month off `til the next gig, but I'm doing a session for Harmonix in the meantime, so... I'll stay busy! thumb.gif

• Members

Back from Mexico!!, and I still have my kidneys! Had a great time..met some really nice people, and learned some things. The people down there are some hard workin fools. I did check into trying to get booked down there for a possible week getaway, but dont think thats going to work there. They have a few nice clubs that could hold us, and a nice theatre! During our stay we listened to a duo, that had been playing there for eight years, a guitar player and a keyboard player, using drum tracks. In te main theatre, full band including a horn section. The full band had players from mexico, cuba, russia, chile and im sure other places. A resort big wig told me they hire individuals only..not groups. Although I could see a group being a big addition to theyre late nights, I also see theyre setup being a much easier one to keep in line. Came home to find out we got our gig canceled on the 13th due to,,,,"its been slow!" The other members of the group, dont want me to even attempt to book this place again as it was on the books for over 6 months. I tried to meet the drummer of the main theatre but never got the chance. I was lining up a translator as he didnt speak english. I wanted to ask him about his kit...mainly about his crash cymbals. The two in front of him were broken in the exact same way...looked to be a crack about 3-4 inches straight in and then a 90 degree turnand around the cymbal about an 1/8 of the way around...dor people do that on purpose.....they sound like doo. But maybe it was a sound thing in the theatre....gotta a couple of pics, and video I may try an find later.,,,oh and MJ is living in Mexico!

BIGDEALPICS427.jpg

BIGDEALPICS429.jpg

BIGDEALPICS428.jpg

Archived