THE DRUMMERS GIG REPORT THREAD...........

race81

• Members

Good weekend for gigs! Got out with my cover band Friday night with my good friend filling in on guitar and had a blast. I switched from 5Bs down to JXs (a Silverfox model that's between a 5A and a 5B, yet a little longer) to work in some finesse, and used a 20" HHX Evolution ride instead of my standard 21" AAX Stage ride.

I liked the change in stick size (it kept me lighter), but the HHX Evolution doesn't work for the hard rock cover band. Too much wash and not enough definition -- LOVE the cymbal though.

The highlight for me, besides everyone dancing and having a great time, was my best friend was there and sat in for two songs -- I love watching that guy drum!

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

thats sweet fitch...............Im running into the same thing with our new group..not liking the sound/projection/definition I am getting with my Zild Avedis. Thinking of finding something heavier. What are you using for you heavier stuff???

Quote Originally Posted by FitchFY

View Post

Good weekend for gigs! Got out with my cover band Friday night with my good friend filling in on guitar and had a blast. I switched from 5Bs down to JXs (a Silverfox model that's between a 5A and a 5B, yet a little longer) to work in some finesse, and used a 20" HHX Evolution ride instead of my standard 21" AAX Stage ride.

I liked the change in stick size (it kept me lighter), but the HHX Evolution doesn't work for the hard rock cover band. Too much wash and not enough definition -- LOVE the cymbal though.

The highlight for me, besides everyone dancing and having a great time, was my best friend was there and sat in for two songs -- I love watching that guy drum!

• Members

You are blessed with gigs abundance my friend..........but it sounds like you need to get some xtra zzz's. What kind of gigs are these?? all 4 hour sets?

Quote Originally Posted by the DW

View Post

Let's see:

Wednesday night, slept at 3:30 am, got up at 7:00 am.

Thursday night, slept at 2:00 am, got up at 6:30 am.

Friday night, slept at 3:00 am, got up at 7:30 am.

Last night, slept at 4:00 am, got up at 8:30 am.

I AM TIRED. Not gonna do ANYTHING today. I'm one of those that needs 8 hours every day, and these late night gigs have been preventing that. icon_lol.gif

zzzzzzzzzzzz.......

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by race81

View Post

You are blessed with gigs abundance my friend..........but it sounds like you need to get some xtra zzz's. What kind of gigs are these?? all 4 hour sets?

Wednesday and Saturday were 4 hour gigs, Thursday and Friday were 3 hour gigs. It's just that I have a real hard time sleeping during the day. Finally got enough rest yesterday - took several short naps, then slept 10 hours last night. I feel MUCH better today!

• Members

We're doing a costume contest deal show on 10/26 as well. I've done several years at a local venue where they book several known bands from the scene and have each of them perform 4-6 songs 'as' a big name act. I've done Huey Lewis/News, Eddie Money, and others. Always a blast; it's typically a two-night affair at this point, and always sells out.

But I've only done one Halloween costume party gig where the focus is the audience rather than the acts before, and there was a contest as well...

Of course, without knowing it ahead of time, our host (partner of the sponsoring DJs; a bit of a local name as he was on the big Alt station in Chicago for a while) had some footage taped, and then edited a (really rough) clip and posted it;

And yes, of course, Teen Wolf won the costume contest.

How could he not?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kmart

View Post

But I've only done one Halloween costume party gig where the focus is the audience rather than the acts before, and there was a contest as well...

Of course, without knowing it ahead of time, our host (partner of the sponsoring DJs; a bit of a local name as he was on the big Alt station in Chicago for a while) had some footage taped, and then edited a (really rough) clip and posted it;

Beam me up!!!! Great song, love it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by the DW

View Post

So was some other member of the band dressed as Bill the Cat?

icon_lol.gif

*ack*

I wish...no I had him on the inside of my bass drum. I used an "iron on T shirt decal on a sheet. Then used the sheet as a muffler in my one headed kick drum. I put Bill's eye where the bass drum beater would hit on the opposite side of the head...that way every time I hit it, the eye would bulge...

• Members

Did my Wednesday night Jazz gig, and had a Violin player from Japan sit in with us. This guy was AWESOME! Jean-Luc Ponty comes to mind. I just love it when folks come in to jam with the band!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]348125[/ATTACH]

Archived