THE DRUMMERS GIG REPORT THREAD...........

race81

• Members

Played at the Summer Fest at the Fender Museum in Corona yesterday. It was a fundraiser for Fender's "Kids Rock Free" program. Gives free music lessons for kids. I got to play the DW kit that Curt Bisquera donated to the museum. I don't think the tom and bass heads have been changed in a while. They were full of dents. Didn't sound that great behind the kit but I got a chance to hear it out front and it sounded amazing. Full front head on the kick with a thunderous sound. (Sound guy must have known what he was doing smile.gif)

Ken Hillebert, the leader of the band works for Fender but currently is working in the Gretsch custom shop. Here he is with one of the first guitars he built.

004.jpg

I got a shot of the audience from behind the kit just before we were announced.

001.jpg

And another.

003.jpg

The reason for the bikes on stage was that they were raffling them off. Also included in the raffle was a nice Stratocaster from the Fender custom shop. You can see it in the lower left.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Looks like a great gig, and a well put together fundraiser! Hope they raised lots of dough for the kids!

Quote Originally Posted by lsits

View Post

Played at the Summer Fest at the Fender Museum in Corona yesterday. It was a fundraiser for Fender's "Kids Rock Free" program. Gives free music lessons for kids. I got to play the DW kit that Curt Bisquera donated to the museum. I don't think the tom and bass heads have been changed in a while. They were full of dents. Didn't sound that great behind the kit but I got a chance to hear it out front and it sounded amazing. Full front head on the kick with a thunderous sound. (Sound guy must have known what he was doing smile.gif)

Ken Hillebert, the leader of the band works for Fender but currently is working in the Gretsch custom shop. Here he is with one of the first guitars he built.

004.jpg

I got a shot of the audience from behind the kit just before we were announced.

001.jpg

And another.

003.jpg

The reason for the bikes on stage was that they were raffling them off. Also included in the raffle was a nice Stratocaster from the Fender custom shop. You can see it in the lower left.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by lsits

View Post

...Didn't sound that great behind the kit but I got a chance to hear it out front and it sounded amazing....

I know of more than one sound company that has heads like that on their rental kit, and like you experienced, they sound GREAT out front. There's this venue in town where the sound guy that makes me de-tune my tom batter heads until they're almost slack. He makes them sound humongous out front! Gotta ask him why that is someday.

• Members

The snare drum, on the other hand, sounded great to my ears. (I was wearing my Hearos) Nice crisp pop, just the way I like it. No muffling at all. Coated Ambassador on the batter. Either a maple or a birch drum. Sounded good from out front, too.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by race81

View Post

Booked our first gig for 2013 in January....new venue. Still got a bad itch for our gig in a couple of weeks.

Nice! The bigger you get, the further out you're booked!

I've got my first gig on Saturday with my new crash cymbals at a place in Fitchburg, MA (insert name joke here). I'm not huge on the venue, playing a gig on Saturday of Labor Day weekend, or playing in Fitchburg in general, but hey, I miss my band mates, free beer, and the money!

Plus, we get to play Extreme again! cool.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FitchFY

View Post

Nice! The bigger you get, the further out you're booked!

I've got my first gig on Saturday with my new crash cymbals at a place in Fitchburg, MA (insert name joke here). I'm not huge on the venue, playing a gig on Saturday of Labor Day weekend, or playing in Fitchburg in general, but hey, I miss my band mates, free beer, and the money!

Plus, we get to play Extreme again! cool.gif

Your the mayor ,right?

• Members

It appears we are heading to Mexico for vacation as a band at the end of the month. Gonna see if I can snag a yearly gig at one of the resorts while we are there. May not be possible, but a free vacation every year trade for playing would be fun!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by race81

View Post

It appears we are heading to Mexico for vacation as a band at the end of the month. Gonna see if I can snag a yearly gig at one of the resorts while we are there. May not be possible, but a free vacation every year trade for playing would be fun!

Nice score Les. Everyone got their passports up-to-date?

• Members

Yep....just got ours. i have not been out of the states since before it was required. Looking forward to it! Think I may try to passout on the beach under one of those big umbrellas.

Quote Originally Posted by melvinspeed

View Post

Nice score Les. Everyone got their passports up-to-date?

• Members

Good luck, Les!

Had my gig on Saturday... ugh. My guitarist was a huge moody doo-doo head and my singer's drunkenness has become a signicant issue. The bassist and I are debating pulling the plug early. No amount of money is worth looking at your drum set while playing it and wishing it was already in your cases. frown.gif

(Figures that the bar gave us a $160 tip!) facepalm.gif

• Members

man I feel for ya....sad they cant keep it professional til the end.....it would look better on everyone involved. nice ya got a tip tho!!...

Quote Originally Posted by FitchFY

View Post

Good luck, Les!

Had my gig on Saturday... ugh. My guitarist was a huge moody doo-doo head and my singer's drunkenness has become a signicant issue. The bassist and I are debating pulling the plug early. No amount of money is worth looking at your drum set while playing it and wishing it was already in your cases. frown.gif

(Figures that the bar gave us a $160 tip!) facepalm.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kmart

View Post

I would not recommend passing out, or otherwise losing awareness of what's around you, at any point in Mexico, given that the country as a whole has become a pretty dangerous place for gringos to be in general.

right. i had a brother-in-law wake up in a tub of ice, with his kidneys missing.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cdawg

View Post

right. i had a brother-in-law wake up in a tub of ice, with his kidneys missing.

Less that, more that an American in Mexico has a target on their back for getting grabbed.

If you're mellow on the whole held for a ransom that may or may not come/may or may not get you released/may or may not result in you getting your head lopped off or blasted by a shotgun, then sure, vacation away.

Times are VERY different re: vacationing in Mexico now than in the recent past; when my step-father is there on business now (2-3 times a year, sometimes as quick as a few days, sometimes for several weeks straight), he has a full time driver/guard, be he in Mexico City or anywhere else. That was not the case even a few years ago.

• Members

Im thankful for your all's concerns. We are actually on the good side of mexico(if there is such a thing)...a adults only resort, five star place and is off limits to the regular folk. We wont be straying far from the resort, after all I like my kidneys. I did have a scary deal in jamaica once....another story.

• Members

awesome!! Love that huge stage....i miss that, and hope to find one sometime, lol. Got my first gig back after a couple of week layover.....gettin pumped, wooohoo.

Quote Originally Posted by melvinspeed

View Post

Last week was a busy one... Three shows in 6 days. We got 5 more lined up through the November as a result. Playing primarily originals now. I'll try to post a video when I finish editing.

jammin.jpg

raiseyourhand.jpg

248403_3291398222773_1804701489_n.jpg

• Members

Saturday's gig went very well with the cover band after last week's facepalm.gif of band behavior. Everyone got on the same page about where we're at...

...and holy heck, what a rocker of a show! The smaller sticks are doing wonders for my dynamics and staying more in control, giving me some more deft movements. I love the new crashes the more I play them, as well, and I removed a stand from my set up by mounting the rack tom directly off the bass drum.

No gigs until 9/29 now... I'll be spinning the Beat Bug on that one and will post a review once it's been done!

Archived