THE DRUMMERS GIG REPORT THREAD...........

race81

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just finished another gig last night with our new guitar player...really tore it up. Just a small local club but they dug the crap out of the band...so much so they booked us till the end of the year...1 week a month thru December, including New Years Eve... The pay is just ok, but it's the start of a full schedule...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by the DW

View Post

A gig with "ok" pay sure beats sitting at home on a Saturday night! thumb.gif

Bingo! And 2 other club owners heard us last night and we've already gotten calls for more bookings! The tide may be finally coming in...

• Members

A pic of yesterday's gig with the Surf band.

Hi-Fi01.jpg

We played at the 10th anniversary of Filipinotown in Los Angeles. (I have connections smile.gif) We wern't sure how the reception would be but it turned out better than we expected. Most of the day was filled with singers singing to recorded tracks. We were the first live band. People went crazy. We had a lot of people compliment us after the one-hour show. We even got paid for the gig. (I think we were the only band to get any money. I think all the other acts were doing it for exposure.)

I'm just glad we didn't have to follow this act:

Hi-Fi004.jpg

• Members

This weekend turned out to be better than I thought...from playing one gig and the benefit today, we got 5 new gigs plus New Years booked, and now another club has booked us 2 weeks from now. Word is getting around that the old farts (High Mileage) have something left to say in our little corner of the music world!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by race81

View Post

Thats awesome Carmine!!! Thats what I like to hear......before long you will have saddle sores again just likr the good ole days. I am so happy for you and your group!........smile.gif

Thanks man...I wish I could have met up with ya at the last jam...if you ever get out here to the coast, you be sure and come and see me! I wish you well

• Members

Did a fundraiser last night where I had to pull double-duty, playing with two of the three bands.

This fundraiser was to help someone with stage 3 lung cancer. She was diagnosed in late June, and on July 1st, her State-run insurance carrier dropped her because of new guidelines that went into effect. The good news is, we raised enough to cover ALL of her chemotherapy sessions! Thank you, Lord! Hallelujah!!

And... it turned out to be a great time!! Got to do a power set with my regular Classic Rock band, and did the debut of a new 70's funk band, doing stuff like Rufus, Cold Blood, etc.. I think the bartender liked it... at the end of the night, he poured me a triple Jack on the rocks and comped it for me. thumb.gif

...and today, my entire body is protesting having so much fun last night! icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by the DW

View Post

Did a fundraiser last night where I had to pull double-duty, playing with two of the three bands.

This fundraiser was to help someone with stage 3 lung cancer. She was diagnosed in late June, and on July 1st, her State-run insurance carrier dropped her because of new guidelines that went into effect. The good news is, we raised enough to cover ALL of her chemotherapy sessions! Thank you, Lord! Hallelujah!!

And... it turned out to be a great time!! Got to do a power set with my regular Classic Rock band, and did the debut of a new 70's funk band, doing stuff like Rufus, Cold Blood, etc.. I think the bartender liked it... at the end of the night, he poured me a triple Jack on the rocks and comped it for me. thumb.gif

...and today, my entire body is protesting having so much fun last night! icon_lol.gif

It is so rewarding to be able to have fun and help poeople that are in need, at the same time!

• Members

Had a great show on saturday, which was also my birthday. Both of my main bands played so I certainly got my fill of drumming as well as drinks that kept coming.

524547_274572655978363_1305741289_n.jpg

ten people on stage, which may be a record for this band. And we were missing our usual banjo player.

428856_274572752645020_776991541_n.jpg

• Members

Looks like a busy weekend for y'all! Carm, I love hearing that High Mileage is getting some gigs and keeping you cats busy! That's awesome!

The summer is downtime for me (my cover band takes most of July and August off so as not to compete with summer activities), so I'm jonesing for a show! Got one Friday, August 17th coming up...

.... aaaaaaand I may be in deep talks with a Boston-area cover band for 2013. No rest for the wicked! cool.gif

• Members

The Ballard Sedentary Sousa Band had a gig Sunday, August 5, at the Hiram Chittenden Locks. These are the locks that connect Lake Washington to Puget Sound. There is also an arboretum there with a nice park where they have concerts in the summer.

I did count this time and we had 30 pieces (musicians).

The concert went very well. For Seattle it was really hot (93 degrees). Most of the park was shaded and they had a tent set up over the band so it was nice.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]347707[/ATTACH]

One weird thing did happen though. We have a sedentary majorette that comes out and does baton twirling routine while seated (Ballard Sedentary Sousa Band remember) during the The Thunderer. (She also plays the glockenspiel and other auxiliary percussion parts.) She does it again on Semper Fidelis. After the drum solo about half way through she puts down the baton and leads the Ballard Sedentary Drill Team (the crowd). It is a huge hit and very funny deal. She works in the wing flapping bit from the Chicken Dance.

Anyway, during that part, some dude walks right in front in between her and the crowd walking his bicycle! What a stupid, disrespectful, attention grabbing thing to do. It's not like he could have waited until the song was over or gone a different way. Some people ...

I bought a new drum earlier this season, a Yamaha-MS-8014. After the concert my wife said she thought it sounded better than my old drum. That's a plus!

Archived