THE DRUMMERS GIG REPORT THREAD...........

race81

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by melvinspeed

View Post

From a multi-band show a couple of weeks ago. Headlining show next Friday 7/13 where we'll debut our originals!

Yeah, I know you can't see me. But the drums look good. thumb.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipxvCHhLfho

GRAND FUNK F$*&ING RAILROAD!!!!!!!!!

One of the first bands I listened to when I started playing drums.

Great job on that Tyler. Very smooth, and heavy.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Gremson

View Post

Leaves Russell had a show booked at a beautiful venue right in the heart of Downtown Portland. This place was gorgeous. High ceilings, deep red curtains, candlelight... Our kinda venue.

Our manager had it worked out over a month in advance that it was a three band bill. An opener, Leaves Russell, and a closer. We were told to load in at 6pm for sound check (Doors open at 8pm. Showtime at 9pm) We arrived right on time to meet the soundguy. Immediately after we introduced ourselves he told us that we were the last band. Typically we let this kinda {censored} slide, but it was a Thursday night, and I've known the closing act to have a history of {censored}ing over other bands to promote themselves. I wasn't about to take the final slot on a weeknight. After a few minutes of the soundguy arguing with us about the order, and us completely unwilling to sway from what we originally agreed, we settled on us going second like we planned. Then he told us that the middle band doesn't get a full sound check. Just a line check. We showed up three hours early for nothing.

Then the show started...

Turns out the first band up has the same name of another local Portland band. The band advertised was a heavy, almost industrial instrumental rock. Definitely not what one would expect to play at a Leaves Russell show. But the band that was actually booked was a cool, funky band... Kinda reminded me of Little Feat. The soundman was outside for about 90% of their set. The band had multiple lead singers, and there was no one to bring up whichever lead was up.

After they finished, it was our turn. We set our gear onstage, and waited for duder to mic up our gear and do our line check. The {censored}head was on the phone for a good ten minutes while we waited to do our line check. Once he finished with his call, he gave us our line check in front of the crowd with no house music playing. It was very uncomfortable, but we went on to play our set without any incidents.

Third band went up and started to play their set. After I finished packing up my drums I went over next to the soundbooth to watch the last band. Oddly enough, the soundguy was actually at his station this time. He turned out to be a real friendly guy, and loved Leaves Russell. I talked with him for a few minutes while the last band was playing. We eventually got on the topic of the band he should have been running sound for at the time. He told me that he was having a hell of a time getting the cello player to come through the system. She only had a mic on the instrument instead of an onboard pickup, and the mic was picking up the drums, and other amps onstage. He said "Here look at this" and boosted the cello channel on the mixer to the point of loud screeching feedback, then brought it back down, and continued to tell me about how the cello wasn't coming through the PA. He did this DURING THE BANDS SET! What a {censored}ing douchebag.

Finally the show ended, and it was time to settle up for the night. Our frontman was given the runaround from 3 different people trying to find the manager of the venue to get paid. Every one of them would say "Oh, let me text him and see if he's around." We got dicked around for over an hour before we just gave up and went home.

Out of all the gigs I've played, that was one of them.

Was that at the Star Theater? I have heard a couple of stories similar to your about that place.

• Members

Looks like those guys are givin you a workout Carm!.....i like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Carminemw

View Post

Pix from the gigs this past weekend with High Mileage...

VinnieTMeSteve.jpg

Meprofile-4.jpg

meprofileleft-5.jpg

Big crowds made for a fun time!thumb.gif

Vids to come soon

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kmart

View Post

Nothing on tap for 2 weeks; the it's a travel gig 2 1/2 hours to our front-man's home town to a cool outdoor venue we play each summer. We're not local, but we're one of their larger draws, and it pays decent, plus we gain an hour on the return trip from the time zone change, and the venue has a 12 am cutoff for music, so it doesn't impact negatively much at all, and we get to run our entire rig.

Well it's always good to knock one out of the park.

Mega big crowd last night, easily larger than last year, and super receptive/into it...20-30 people up front and dancing at most points through the night for half a dozen songs at a time each.

We varied from playing really well to full on killing it, even on a half dozen new songs, some of which I wasnt sure we were ready on, and despite a minor recurring issue with our PA...at the end of the night, the owner gave us an additional $200 due to how well we drew/crowd reaction.

The ONLY downside is we played a little over at the end of the night and then pack & load happened at a snail's pace, and by the time I got home, it was well after 4:30...nearing dawn by the time I was able to fall asleep. And I am definitely feeling my age today.

• Members

Did a gig at an "estate" on the Windward side. I was told that there would be a drumset there, but I brought my own just in case.

Good thing I did that!! The drumset turned out to be a Roland TD-6 kit (like the one I used to have). I sat down and found a patch that I liked, and decided to use it instead of setting up my acoustic kit.

WRONG!!!!!

I ran into the very same problems I used to have. Mis-triggering, cymbals choking by themselves, etc. etc..

At the break, I ran to get my car, and drove it up to the "stage" and unloaded my kit. Had it set up in about 10 minutes, a record for me! Things ran much better for the 2nd set! Our bass player was shocked that I would do that, but he was appreciative.

Moral of the story: I will ALWAYS bring my kit with me! icon_lol.gif

• Members

4:30....uuugh.....the latest I have gotten in since giggin g has been 3 am.....that was bad enough!

View Post

Well it's always good to knock one out of the park.

Mega big crowd last night, easily larger than last year, and super receptive/into it...20-30 people up front and dancing at most points through the night for half a dozen songs at a time each.

We varied from playing really well to full on killing it, even on a half dozen new songs, some of which I wasnt sure we were ready on, and despite a minor recurring issue with our PA...at the end of the night, the owner gave us an additional $200 due to how well we drew/crowd reaction.

The ONLY downside is we played a little over at the end of the night and then pack & load happened at a snail's pace, and by the time I got home, it was well after 4:30...nearing dawn by the time I was able to fall asleep. And I am definitely feeling my age today.

• Members

Thats cause your a pro DW.....ya have to be prepared!!

Quote Originally Posted by the DW

View Post

Did a gig at an "estate" on the Windward side. I was told that there would be a drumset there, but I brought my own just in case.

Good thing I did that!! The drumset turned out to be a Roland TD-6 kit (like the one I used to have). I sat down and found a patch that I liked, and decided to use it instead of setting up my acoustic kit.

WRONG!!!!!

I ran into the very same problems I used to have. Mis-triggering, cymbals choking by themselves, etc. etc..

At the break, I ran to get my car, and drove it up to the "stage" and unloaded my kit. Had it set up in about 10 minutes, a record for me! Things ran much better for the 2nd set! Our bass player was shocked that I would do that, but he was appreciative.

Moral of the story: I will ALWAYS bring my kit with me! icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FitchFY

View Post

Bit of a bummer - we were under the impression this venue was $800 plus free beer and done at 1am; apparently, it's $600/ half tab/ 1:30am. It's not enough to make us walk away, but a phone call or e-mail would've been appreciated. facepalm.gif

How would you be 'under the impression' that it was something it was not?

• Members

View Post

How would you be 'under the impression' that it was something it was not?

We were there when it was booked. Our singer, however, does enjoy his alcohol and I think in a follow-up conversation after the band had left, it was made to $600. The rest of us had it at $800.

Like I said - not a huge deal to us based upon the factors we value as a band -- the more frustrating part was not knowing we had an extra 30 minutes to play until the break after the second set. facepalm.gif

• Members

I have had many shows... even in the opry houses that one or two people out of 300 complain and they would bow down and pull the main sliders down..never understood why....for making those two happy we would lose hard tellin how many others in the process because we would lose our drive..it was depressing!!

Quote Originally Posted by irnbru83

View Post

Played a show on Friday where we got told to play much quieter after our sound-check. I was very sad, and I dislike playing quietly, but I did it without bitchin' frown.gif

• Members

View Post

It does take some of the fun out of rock when you gotta hold back that far. I don't brutalize my kit, but I like to put a moderate amount of umph into it.

Yeah, agreed.

I'm not playing soft jazz or dinner music, never have, and frankly don't want to. I play rock/pop, broadly speaking, and if you can't give things a little push with the occasional pop of the snare, and especially if you're working the whole time to make sure dynamics stay uber-soft...

Well, that's just not interesting, nor anywhere near as fun to me.

I don't hit hard unless I'm really trying to. I've got an engineer/soundman in my primary band, and he and I have talked at length about how he could tell from the first time we played together that I'm clearly just hitting drums & cymbals cleanly, and with the open tuning I prefer (and which sounds best for my kit), the overall appearance is that I'm hitting somewhat louder than what I physically am doing.

But since I'm not killing things, it's generally not a problem. Only if we get into a place that books a live band, but really wants piped-in-music or julebox level audio.

And I know: I CAN choose to play softer/quieter, etc. SOME people don't mind doing that. I do.

• Members

Saturday night... benefit show for a local radio personality who passed away. Biggest venue we've played to date. Capacity around 1,500 - 2,000 (in the spirit of accuracy, we played to about 60 people). Balcony around the top. Nice bar and sound system. Just crappy setup shots, no action photos.

IMG00135-20120721-1816.jpg

IMG00136-20120721-1816.jpg

IMG00139-20120721-1817.jpg

• Members

View Post

It does take some of the fun out of rock when you gotta hold back that far. I don't brutalize my kit, but I like to put a moderate amount of umph into it.

Agreed. I can play our stuff soft and quieter, but it doesn't have the same weight... push... gravity (whatever) as when you can lay into the kit. The benefit we played (see above) was a huge venue and man... no worries there about overpowering the room. You guys would have loved it. thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cdawg

View Post

just strange seein' you kit so small. i love it tho. looks like a pretty deep snare, tyler. what is it?

For what we play, I don't need anything else. And I'm too damn old to haul gear for the sake of looks.

The snare is my 14x8 Pearl Vinnie Paul Signature. No subtlety asked... none given. Totally_jammin_out.gif

Archived