Religulous

Thunderbroom

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
He wasn't in the Vatican for very long though, just long enough to film him saying, "I'm in the Vatican!" before getting shut down and tossed out.
:D

Yeah, that was my understanding. You'd think - I would, anyway - that if they had a rational basis for their beliefs, they'd have straightened him right out.

• Members
You both can leave your Man Cards on the table on your way out. The title is "The Notebook" and you entered the theater? Did any real men see you go in and not try to stop you, or at least catch your balls before they hit the hall carpet and bounced into an overstuffed trashcan? Richard Gere is starring, and you didn't run away????

Guys, please, I'm begging you....use your manly intuition....:poke:

yeah :mad: a real man would never sit through a lame movie with his girl and then go home and have sex with her.....

oh right, nevermind

• Members

Yeah, that was my understanding. You'd think - I would, anyway - that if they had a rational basis for their beliefs, they'd have straightened him right out.

I think that, at some point, just about every belief about our existence becomes irrational and people only get "straightened out" if they're willing to be wrong. Doesn't matter whether you're talking politics, religion, football or cars, people will believe what they want to believe regardless of what information is presented.

• Members
Of course followers of Marx haven't put masses of people to death or in forced labor camps, either. Great example using Marx to tell religion to {censored} off.
:thu:

Followers of Marx, as was pointed out.

Some followers of Jesus and other religious figures have committed a lot of atrocities as well.

• Members

Followers
of Marx, as was pointed out.

Some followers of Jesus and other religious figures have committed a lot of atrocities as well.

Although I think that the followers of Marx have been a bit more aggressive when it comes to ridding the earth of non-conformists.

• Members

Although I think that the followers of Marx have been a bit more aggressive when it comes to ridding the earth of non-conformists.

Really?

Then you should most definitely read up on some history.

Numerous "heresies" stamped out by the church throughout the Dark Ages, sometimes resulting in entire towns and villages being wiped out. Witch hunts (not as big a deal in the States, but widespread in Europe for centuries,) the Spanish Inquisition, acts of mass-murder and terrorism between the Catholics and Protestants which went on for 500 years, the KKK, clinic bombers, Guyana Tragedy, Hammas, Hezbollah, Al Quaeda, Taliban. Even in the early history of this country it was legal to kill Quakers on sight.

Religious intolerance, whatever the religion may be, can twist people to astonishing ends.

I would argue further that in the case of, say, Stalin or Mao, it was not their lack of religion that caused them to commit such atrocities, but the fact that they simply replaced typical deity-worshipping religion with the religion of the State.

• Moderators
Followers
of Marx, as was pointed out.

I don't believe that was in question, since I was the one who used the term "followers of Marx" initially.

• Moderators
I would argue further that in the case of, say, Stalin or Mao, it was not their lack of religion that caused them to commit such atrocities, but the fact that they simply replaced typical deity-worshipping religion with the religion of the State.

In the case of Stalin, it should be clear that he worshiped himself, not a "religion of the state." The state was simply a means to an end.

• Members

So we're clear on this one;

Conning people into putting blind faith in any entity is a bad thing as far as I'm concerned. Especially when demanding an effective destruction of freewill.

This is not to say Marx, Jesus or Budda didn't have anything relevant to say though.

• Moderators

So we're clear on this one;

Conning people into putting blind faith in any entity is a bad thing as far as I'm concerned. Especially when demanding an effective destruction of freewill.

This is not to say Marx, Jesus or Budda didn't have anything relevant to say though.

I don't think issue is with Marx, Jesus, Budda or any philosopher/teacher of that magnitude. The issue is really what have "followers" done with the teachings/philosophies. Have they used them for good or have they used them for evil? Have they used them to better serve others or have they used them to serve themselves?

What examples would you show as "demanding an effective destruction of free will?"

• Members

I don't think issue is with Marx, Jesus, Budda or any philosopher/teacher of that magnitude. The issue is really what have "followers" done with the teachings/philosophies. Have they used them for good or have they used them for evil? Have they used them to better serve others or have they used them to serve themselves?

Obviously in the cases I've cited I'd say both good and bad things (if we're going to be that general) have been committed by their 'followers'.

What examples would you show as "demanding an effective destruction of free will?"

I'd say acceptance of stalinism and submission to communist laws during that time, as well as Maoist China was certainly encouraging thoughtless citizens. I'd also claim that almost all religious fundamentalist organisations encourage the same thing. There's a great example, the exact name escapes me (great example!), it's a christian fundamentalist group that preaches all natural disasters kill only "dykes and fags", and this is God's will.

• Members

I'd say acceptance of stalinism and submission to communist laws during that time, as well as Maoist China was certainly encouraging thoughtless citizens. I'd also claim that almost all religious fundamentalist organisations encourage the same thing. There's a great example, the exact name escapes me (great example!), it's a christian fundamentalist group that preaches all natural disasters kill only "dykes and fags", and this is God's will.

There are also perversions of the teachings. Just because a few choose to take ones teachings and run in the wrong direction doesn't necessarily make the teacher wrong -- a baby and bathwater thing. And I'd take issue with your "almost all religious fundamentalist organizations" comment, it's a pretty narrow minded and short sighted view of things.

• Moderators
Obviously in the cases I've cited I'd say both good and bad things (if we're going to be that general) have been committed by their 'followers'.

Just wanted clarification. There are many groups that are also misrepresented by those who disagree with them, too. For the most part, I would agree with your sentiment here.

• CMS Author

yeah
:mad:
a real man would never sit through a lame movie with his girl and then go home and have sex with her.....

oh right, nevermind

I'm glad you're at least starting to come around. :lol::lol:

Some litmus tests for relationship equality:

See if the same girl is willing to go to the gun club and shoot x-times a year ("x" = number of chickflik's you see in the same time period), or to a cigar club and smoke stogies for 90 minutes. You'll trail behind her through the mall while she shops, but will she follow you around Home Depot or Guitar Center without the "can we go now?" stare?

• Members
I'm glad you're at least starting to come around.
:lol:
:lol:

Some litmus tests for relationship equality:

See if the same girl is willing to go to the gun club and shoot x-times a year ("x" = number of chickflik's you see in the same time period), or to a cigar club and smoke stogies for 90 minutes. You'll trail behind her through the mall while she shops, but will she follow you around Home Depot or Guitar Center without the "can we go now?" stare?

Why not just do your own things on occassion? :p

Archived