Religulous

Thunderbroom

• Members

If there was such thing as a "Z List Celebrity", Maher would be Numero Uno.

Has he ever done anything besides his "show" on HBO? I honestly haven't ever heard of it if so, besides the occasional "stand up" bit.

Not much outside of TV I think. His old show Politically Incorrect was on in the '90s, not sure when the new one started.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Did anybody go see this movie this weekend?

Religulous is a 2008 American documentary film directed by Larry Charles and starring political comedian Bill Maher. According to Maher, the title of the film is a portmanteau derived from the words "religion" and "ridiculous," implying the satirical nature of the documentary that is meant to mock the concept of religion and the perceived problems it brings about.

Wiki Link

Supposedly he blasts most, if not all, world religions in this movie. On a related note, I just watched an interview with Maher. He clearly stated that this is NOT a documentary but a comedy (just in case he gets nominated for "Best Documentary" this year).

From what I've read, he doesn't blast anyone. He asks them questions about their beliefs, and lets them blast themselves.

• CMS Author

I don't know about anyone else, but all I need to do is ask... I don't need to subject myself to a movie
:D

"Nah I don't really want to stick around for the movie. But before I leave..."

Yep:thu:

"I may have had some bad breaks, but...I consider myself to be the luckiest guy on the face of the earth".

• Members

Because no one who doesn't believe as I believe could possibly be other than a miserable human being.

If only I could accept that my problems are something other than my own construct and my successes are due to the grace of an omnipotent being whose existence can neither be proven nor disproven, then I could truly be happy.

• Moderators

If only I could accept that my problems are something other than my own construct and my successes are due to the grace of an omnipotent being whose existence can neither be proven nor disproven, then I could truly be happy.

No, your failures are on you, your successes are from following the fairy. That is happiness. :facepalm:

• Members

No, your failures are on you, your successes are from following the fairy. That is happiness.
:facepalm:

See, I don't even understand the path to true happiness, how can I hope to actually be happy.

If only someone would reach out and show me the way because I clearly lack the ability to do anything on my own.

This thread is stupid and everyone here sucks. :mad:

• Members

Well then, congratulations! :D You don't have to check your brain at the door.

There are a lot of stupid people in the world. There are also a lot of religious people in the world. Ergo, there are a lot of stupid religious people in the world. But you'll find stupid people in any large group. Picking out the dumbest ones to interview for a movie doesn't sound like a very entertaining way to spend time, but since I haven't seen it, for all I know it's hilarious.

• Moderators

But you'll find stupid people in any large group.

This is why I'm not interested in the movie. If it were to (or does?) address the issues with people considered to be worthy of respect within the religions it mocks, that would be entertaining.

• Members

The most entertaining part of this movie is watching everyone get all pissed off and indignant about it, without even seeing it or knowing the first thing about it.

yeah pretty much. there will be knee-jerk reactions from the "religious right" and other religious groups.

I loved the movie. It is hilarious and pokes fun at ancient beliefs that are no longer applicable and are just downright insane and lead to worldwide violence where usually the "end justifies the means". Our own president thinks he is doing "God's will"...as if anyone knows what that is. {censored} off religion. to quote Marx; "Religion is the opiate of the masses." there are some great quotes in the movie by our founding fathers who were actually "deists" or what today would be the equivalent of agnostics or atheists. Many of our forefathers believed that God created the universe but than stepped back and played no further part..... just to clarify; I do not hate you if you are religious....as long as you don't push your beliefs on me. If religion works for you, more power to you. I think I have every right to say religion is nor for me, having been raised Mormon (I laughed a lot when Maher roasted the Mormons in the movie- he even talked to some Ex-Mormons)... so I have firsthand experience of one of the most crazy "cults" out there.

those who want some interesting reading, I recommend: The God Delusion by

Richard Dawkins..... of course there are backlash books that refute his claims, but his are pretty air-tight if you ask me.

• Moderators
{censored} off religion. to quote Marx; "Religion is the opiate of the masses."

Of course followers of Marx haven't put masses of people to death or in forced labor camps, either. Great example using Marx to tell religion to {censored} off.:thu:

• Members

Of course followers of Marx haven't put masses of people to death or in forced labor camps, either. Great example using Marx to tell religion to {censored} off.
:thu:

but did Marx do that? no. that further exemplifies my point: followers of certain forms of thought usually leads to insanity.

• Moderators

This is why I'm not interested in the movie. If it were to (or does?) address the issues with people considered to be worthy of respect within the religions it mocks, that would be entertaining.

I'm sure Mr Maher would have been happy to interview the Pope. He was at the Vatican, after all. Why didn't the Pope, or some cardinal "worthy of respect", come out and set him straight?

• Moderators

I loved the movie. It is hilarious and pokes fun at ancient beliefs that are no longer applicable and are just downright insane and lead to worldwide violence where usually the "end justifies the means". Our own president thinks he is doing "God's will"...as if anyone knows what that is. {censored} off religion. to quote Marx; "Religion is the opiate of the masses." there are some great quotes in the movie by our founding fathers who were actually "deists" or what today would be the equivalent of agnostics or atheists. Many of our forefathers believed that God created the universe but than stepped back and played no further part..... just to clarify; I do not hate you if you are religious....as long as you don't push your beliefs on me. If religion works for you, more power to you. I think I have every right to say religion is nor for me, having been raised Mormon (I laughed a lot when Maher roasted the Mormons in the movie- he even talked to some Ex-Mormons)... so I have firsthand experience of one of the most crazy "cults" out there.

those who want some interesting reading, I recommend: The God Delusion by

Richard Dawkins..... of course there are backlash books that refute his claims, but his are pretty air-tight if you ask me.

Not just ancient beliefs. LDS, as you noted, is fairly recent, as religions go, and he took a poke at Scientology as well.

• Moderators

Such as followers of agnosticism or naturalism or even nihilism? ? :poke:

I don't know of any instances of "followers of agnosticism or naturalism or even nihilism" doing anything particularly crazy because those beliefs told them to do so.

Do you?

• Members

I'm sure Mr Maher would have been happy to interview the Pope. He was at the Vatican, after all. Why didn't the Pope, or some cardinal "worthy of respect", come out and set him straight?

He wasn't in the Vatican for very long though, just long enough to film him saying, "I'm in the Vatican!" before getting shut down and tossed out. :D

• Members

I think Bill Maher is pretty funny sometimes. Definitely opinionated for, better or for worse. I'm not into religious antagonism all that much (my own personal beliefs asides), but going by how it's been harvested so many times and in so many ways before, it's definitely fertile ground for comedic potential.

Archived