Religulous

Thunderbroom

• Members

Did anybody go see this movie this weekend?

Religulous is a 2008 American documentary film directed by Larry Charles and starring political comedian Bill Maher. According to Maher, the title of the film is a portmanteau derived from the words "religion" and "ridiculous," implying the satirical nature of the documentary that is meant to mock the concept of religion and the perceived problems it brings about.

Wiki Link

Supposedly he blasts most, if not all, world religions in this movie. On a related note, I just watched an interview with Maher. He clearly stated that this is NOT a documentary but a comedy (just in case he gets nominated for "Best Documentary" this year).

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Did anybody go see this movie this weekend?

Religulous is a 2008 American documentary film directed by Larry Charles and starring political comedian Bill Maher. According to Maher, the title of the film is a portmanteau derived from the words "religion" and "ridiculous," implying the satirical nature of the documentary that is meant to mock the concept of religion and the perceived problems it brings about.

Supposedly he blasts most, if not all, world religions in this movie. On a related note, I just watched an interview with Maher. He clearly stated that this is NOT a documentary but a comedy (just in case he gets nominated for "Best Documentary" this year).

I don't quite see the point of this movie. It's just a smug pseduo-celebrity ripping apart religion for 2 hours. I get tired of people telling me how much they hate religion, and try to convince me to hate it, too. I don't even like when religious people come to me to try to convince me to love what they love. I have my own beliefs and I expect the same respect I give to those of other faiths or atheists or agnostics.

Who really wants to see a washed up political comedian anyways?

• Moderators
I don't quite see the point of this movie. It's just a smug pseduo-celebrity ripping apart religion for 2 hours. I get tired of people telling me how much they hate religion, and try to convince me to hate it, too. I don't even like when religious people come to me to try to convince me to love what they love. I have my own beliefs and I expect the same respect I give to those of other faiths or atheists or agnostics.

Who really wants to see a washed up political comedian anyways?

Good post.

• Members

But In Absebtia raises the point that Bill Maher is washed up and unfunny . . . . .2 things that would be detrimental to that point.
:D

Well seeing as he is still around, has TV shows (or did that get cancelled), and has a movie contract... Apparently he still has fans.

• Members

Typically, the point is entertainment.

If that is what people find entertaining, then by all means, they should go see it. I just don't see what could be funny about the premise. I could see a lot of the people that see this movie saying, "You mean Bill Maher doesn't like religion?!? That's hysterical!!!" They just won't get my dollars.

[tangent]BTW, what the hell is wrong with movies these days? I went to see a movie this weekend that I had waited a bit for. I was extremely excited for it, and it was a turd of a movie. It seems that this is the rule rather than the exception anymore. Other than the comic book movies this summer and Wall-E, I haven't been slightly entertained for about 2 years at the theater. I hate to be a smug elitist (:lol:), but I tend to only enjoy independent films these days. Is anyone else having this problem?[/tangent]

• Members

The most entertaining part of this movie is watching everyone get all pissed off and indignant about it, without even seeing it or knowing the first thing about it.

I've seen enough of the trailer to know that it isn't something I want to see. Why spend $15 for 2 tickets, $3.50 for popcorn, and $5 for drinks just to be able to say "yep, I sure did hate that film". I also applied this same logic to turds like "Epic Movie", and not just films that mock my personal religious beliefs.

Like I've said, if you wanna go see it, more power to you.

• Moderators
The most entertaining part of this movie is watching everyone get all pissed off and indignant about it, without even seeing it or knowing the first thing about it.

The trailers are pretty funny. I'm just not interested in supporting that type of humor on a large scale or Bill Maher's ego. YMMV.

• Members

Whatever you saw, I saw worse. Nights in Rodanthe....the single worst piece-o-crapfest I've ever had the unfortunate fate of paying to see. Truely truely aweful! :mad: The only positive note is that Mrs. Lug just lost to right to pick the movie for at least a year. HERE COMES THE EXPLOSIONS AND BEHEADINGS! :thu::D

• Members

Whatever you saw, I saw worse. Nights in Rodanthe....the single worst piece-o-crapfest I've ever had the unfortunate fate of paying to see. Truely truely aweful!
:mad:
The only positive note is that Mrs. Lug just lost to right to pick the movie for at least a year. HERE COMES THE EXPLOSIONS AND BEHEADINGS!
:thu::D

Someone needs to cut off both of Nicholas Sparks's hands so he can never type again. We should also cut his tongue out, since speech recognition software is getting better.

I got dragged to The Notebook, and I swear that I'll never subject myself to a movie based on one of his books.

Archived