OT: This makes me about as angry at society as I can get...

lokidecat

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
FWIW, I too have occasional back trouble, and have a 10% disability from the VA. Activities such as playing basketball and volleyball actually help, and help keep it from getting worse.

10% disability from the VA won't even get you a Snickers bar. You FAIL as a milker of government funds, loser. :rolleyes:

• CMS Author

I understand that you were replying to Renfield. I understand that you were trying to paint a more accurate picture of Suleman, and I agree with you there.

But you obviously have a problem and seem to be inferring that in discussing welfare manipulation, which was the context of Renfield's opinion of Suleman, I accused any mother on welfare of manipulating the system. That wasn't the discussion, and there wasn't any inference. Please don't assume. Ask.

• Members

But you obviously have a problem and seem to be inferring that in discussing welfare manipulation, which was the context of Renfield's opinion of Suleman, I accused any mother on welfare of manipulating the system. That wasn't the discussion, and there wasn't any inference. Please don't assume. Ask.

You don't see, at all, how I might have drawn such a conclusion from your words? Especially with language about popping out rugrats.

I'm asking you to look at your remarks and get a sense of how those words would be taken by someone else.

I clearly grasped your excellent point about Suleman but in making that point, I picked up on something else that you're saying you didn't mean, and I can accept that you weren't trying to be disparaging. But I want to ask if you can see what I saw in your remarks.

• CMS Author

You don't see, at all, how I might have drawn such a conclusion from your words? Especially with language about popping out rugrats.

I'm asking you to look at your remarks and get a sense of how those words would be taken by someone else.

I clearly grasped your excellent point about Suleman but in making that point, I picked up on something else that you're saying you didn't mean, and I can accept that you weren't trying to be disparaging. But I want to ask if you can see what I saw in your remarks.

When you posted your first reply I had no idea what you were on about. I was replying to a post about one person. The term "welfare mom" as I've seen it used refers specifically to manipulators. I stated that Suleman didn't fit the profile ascribed to manipulators. So no, I didn't see what you thought you were seeing in my remarks. It so far out of the context we were discussing as to be analogous to the Krispy Kreme "choice" debacle.

• Members
Technically, no, since the poverty line shifts with every child.

In actuality, the
parents
were living well above the poverty line, since they spent far more of that money on themselves than they should have.

I've been in the living room of welfare recipient families who had bigger TVs and better electronic equipment/game systems/etc. than I did, and I was working full time with no dependents.

All true in a few of my experiences too.

To back up Craig's point (we may not entirely agree on her motivations, but see eye to eye on this point in general) there are many people that rely on Welfare to get them back on their feet, they often do feel shame (:wave:) and do everything in their power to change the situation ASAP.

There are also many that exploit it to the fullest. Popping out just enough kids to manage, taking the added income boost and coming ahead for it. Never marrying because it will lower their incomes.

• Members

Ok!

I nominate the following to be banned for the rest of 2009:

J.
for posting that disturbing photo.

Failboatcaptain
and
SA Rios
for re-posting that disturbing photo.

Take away the ridiculous fat lps (plastic surgery, please tell me its plastic surgery) and the grotesque belly and she kind of looks like Alanis Morissette.

• Moderators
10% disability from the VA won't even get you a Snickers bar. You FAIL as a milker of government funds, loser.
:rolleyes:

Upon further thought, I must change my position. I'm actually doing pretty damn well at milking the government!

When I got laid off, I started getting unemployment at the max rate. A lot of other people did, too, so that's not particularly impressive. Then I found out I was eligible for a government funded education plan. Get this: I'm getting my unemployment payments continued for up to two years, full tuition, fees, books and miscellaneous supplies. Because my school is more than 35 miles from my home, and I have family still residing there, I can get either a mileage allowance for commuting, or - my choice - they'll pay rent and utilities on an apartment near the college. In addition, I get a per diem for subsistence, about $24 per day! All told, I'll be getting nearly $4K a month for the next 18 months! All while getting an education! Admittedly, it runs out then, but, on the plus side, I won't have to live with 14 disabled rugrats for the rest of my life!

• Members

Thanks for posting this. I consider myself a conservative, but unlike a few extreme cases, I still believe in gov't sponsored welfare. I think some states are much too generous (*coughMinnesotacough*), but I don't think it should be eliminated entirely.

I favor a hard two-year limit and lots of rollbacks on the types of assistance one can get. No extra cash for having more children. Minnesota has a two-year limit, but with all the hardship and life change extensions available, one can remain on it indefinitely. Our welfare debit cards have been used in states as far away as Hawaii, so fraud is rampant. We have people come up from surrounding states just to cash in. The problem with having the most generous welfare program in the midwest is that our state becomes a magnet. High taxes and overburdening regulations are driving people who actually produce out of Minnesota, all the while the legislature tries to get more people on the gov't dole.

I'm glad welfare is there, but it should be minimized and fraud should be aggressively curtailed.

• Members

Thanks for posting this. I consider myself a conservative, but unlike a few extreme cases, I still believe in gov't sponsored welfare. I think some states are much too generous (*coughMinnesotacough*), but I don't think it should be eliminated entirely.

I favor a hard two-year limit and lots of rollbacks on the types of assistance one can get. No extra cash for having more children. Minnesota has a two-year limit, but with all the hardship and life change extensions available, one can remain on it indefinitely. Our welfare debit cards have been used in states as far away as Hawaii, so fraud is rampant. We have people come up from surrounding states just to cash in. The problem with having the most generous welfare program in the midwest is that our state becomes a magnet. High taxes and overburdening regulations are driving people who actually produce out of Minnesota, all the while the legislature tries to get more people on the gov't dole.

I'm glad welfare is there, but it should be minimized and fraud should be aggressively curtailed.

Just one comment:

I don't think the card's use in Hawaii is evidence of fraud, and doesn't measure "rampant." What were the surrounding details?

I could imagine a family paying to get someone to Hawaii to attend a funeral, and the debit card was used at Burger King. :idk:

Maybe the use was entirely fraudulent. But the mere use of the card might raise a question but the answer may be entirely legit.

You make me think of a sad but mildly comical documentary I saw years ago.

After the tough welfare laws were enacted, a woman was highlighted regarding "the aftermath." She was originally on welfare because of mental depression issues, and some kind of physical disability. Suddenly, the new laws required that she go get a job. There weren't many jobs that she could get with no skills and a physical disability.

Out of desperation she worked briefly at an adult bookstore and she described it as being just awful. She said people "would bring these ... these ... these things up to the counter." And while she was ringing up their purchase the customers would chat and ask her how her day was going.

I felt sorry for her because that had to be embarrassing, but I did laugh ... imagine some guy buying a purple dildo and feather boa, and remarks, "so, how's business? Looks kinda slow today."

I think she said she worked there less than 2 months before she quit.

• Members

The welfare profile is interesting but it doesn't paint the whole picture of the true welfare society.

Are you considering the food stamps from the food stamp program in the profile or are these the individuals that are only feeding on the public assistance tit? There are those who are not on public assistance but do, in fact, collect food stamps.

How about the other welfare programs? Social Security (what an asinine name, thanks, FDR)? Mediscare? Medicaid? The 'free' Housing programs? It is these programs, not the 'public assistance' that is bankrupting many of the states and it is SS & Mediscare (including W's prescription program) that will push the fed budget to the brink. The question is will they nationalize the drug companies too before this transpires? They are well on their way.

And then there is the earned income tax credit programs. 'Free' tax refunds for those who pay no income tax. :facepalm:

Statistics show that it is the top 20% of the income earnerspay nearly 100% of the taxes. The numbers on the public tit will continue to increase until something is done about the system of marxist education in this country. That is the long and short of it. If they keep their grip on the public schools the marxists will keep their grip on government. Self reliance be damned.

It isn't that war in Iraq nor the one in Afghanistan that is breaking the bank. That is just nonsense. These expenses don't even put a dent in the freebies programs of the feds and they all just got bigger which is what the neo-Marxists have wished from day one.

• Members

Statistics show that it is the top 20% of the income
earners
pay nearly 100% of the taxes.

WRONG.

Studies show that ON PAPER, the top 20% of earners are assessed these taxes.

The actual monies RECEIVED by the government paint a different picture entirely.

Can you say "Tax shelters"?

Let me get an Amen brother.

Just go the Heritage foundation - I'm too busy to go dig that crap up again.

• Members

The one use in Hawaii isn't a measure of fraud in and of itself, it's merely one example of true rampant fraud using Minnesota's EBT (welfare) cards. They've been used (repeatedly) in over 30 states. Some people get them here and mail them to relatives, while others just road trip to Minnesota to get welfare.

You make me think of a sad but mildly comical documentary I saw years ago.

After the tough welfare laws were enacted, a woman was highlighted regarding "the aftermath." She was originally on welfare because of mental depression issues, and some kind of physical disability. Suddenly, the new laws required that she go get a job. There weren't many jobs that she could get with no skills and a physical disability.

Out of desperation she worked briefly at an adult bookstore and she described it as being just awful. She said people "would bring these ... these ... these
things
up to the counter." And while she was ringing up their purchase the customers would chat and ask her how her day was going.

I felt sorry for her because that had to be embarrassing, but I did laugh ... imagine some guy buying a purple dildo and feather boa, and remarks, "so, how's business? Looks kinda slow today."

I think she said she worked there less than 2 months before she quit.

That's a sad story, but we must disabuse ourselves of the notion that people have a right to public assistance. They do not. Again, I'm glad that it exists to some extent, but I'll never fool myself into thinking that some people are entitled to it. Besides, if that woman had a legitimate disability that kept her from working, what about SSD?

There will always be sob stories and people will always fall through the cracks, regardless of what programs are in place. That shouldn't dissuade us from promoting true welfare reform and a massive rollback of the welfare state.

Hawkhuff also has a point - programs like Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid are budget busters. They will have to be addressed sooner or later. It's not about whether people "need" those programs (in fact, I do not want SS or Mediscam to go away completely), rather the fact that we simply cannot afford them. Our businesses and most productive individuals are already shouldering a punitive tax burden. We need to make cuts, period.

• CMS Author

Upon further thought, I must change my position. I'm actually doing pretty damn well at milking the government!

When I got laid off, I started getting unemployment at the max rate. A lot of other people did, too, so that's not particularly impressive. Then I found out I was eligible for a government funded education plan. Get this: I'm getting my unemployment payments continued for up to two years, full tuition, fees, books and miscellaneous supplies. Because my school is more than 35 miles from my home, and I have family still residing there, I can get either a mileage allowance for commuting, or - my choice - they'll pay rent and utilities on an apartment near the college. In addition, I get a
per diem
for subsistence, about $24
per day
! All told, I'll be getting nearly $4K a month for the next 18 months! All while getting an education! Admittedly, it runs out then, but, on the plus side, I won't have to live with 14 disabled rugrats for the rest of my life!

Which government agency is paying this? Oregon? The fed? I had $5000 in education grants a couple of years ago, but there was no UI extension. It was paid by the county through a PA state program. Didn't turn out to be too useful...$5K buys surprsingly little.

• Moderators

Which government agency is paying this? Oregon? The fed? I had $5000 in education grants a couple of years ago, but there was no UI extension. It was paid by the county through a PA state program. Didn't turn out to be too useful...$5K buys surprsingly little.

It's paid for under the Trade Act, a federal law. The law, or a provision of it, retrains people who have lost their jobs due to outsourcing and offshoring. The actual funding is a mix of federal and state monies.

• CMS Author

It's paid for under the Trade Act, a federal law. The law, or a provision of it, retrains people who have lost their jobs due to outsourcing and offshoring. The actual funding is a mix of federal and state monies.

Is this tied to the number of people in a given field in a given area being laid off? In other words, if you're one of 5 people laid off, no money, but if you're one of 3000 auto workers in a plant closing, you get the money.

I'm hearing that the stimulus package includes new money for retraining programs, and wouldn't mind getting me somma that.

• Moderators

Is this tied to the number of people in a given field in a given area being laid off? In other words, if you're one of 5 people laid off, no money, but if you're one of 3000 auto workers in a plant closing, you get the money.

I'm hearing that the stimulus package includes new money for retraining programs, and wouldn't mind getting me somma that.

I think it may be, but the number is ridiculously small, like 3. The important thing is that the job loss be due to outsourcing to a foreign company, or to offshoring. For instance, in my case, my job is still being done within the company, but in Singapore.

Edit: Here's a website on it. Other programs exist as well. http://www.doleta.gov/tradeact/

• Members

It looks like the dumb broad might lose the house she's been living in:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-octuplets19-2009feb19,0,81674.story

House where octuplets' mother lives is in danger of foreclosure
The Whittier residence is owned by Nadya Suleman's mother, who reportedly is $23,224 past due on a $453,750 loan.
By Kimi Yoshino
February 19, 2009

The Whittier house where Nadya Suleman, the mother of octuplets, and her six other children have been living with her parents is in pre-foreclosure, according to records.

The three-bedroom, two-bath house is owned by Angela Suleman, the children's grandmother. A default notice was filed Feb. 9 for a loan that is $23,224 past due. The notice lists a projected sale date of June 9, according to the website foreclosureradar.com.

She bought the house in March 2006 for $605,000 with a loan from Indymac Bank for $453,750.

Angela Suleman could not be reached for comment Wednesday. In an interview last month, she said that she had filed for bankruptcy and lost one house to foreclosure, but said her finances had improved and she had paid her debts.

In an interview with Us magazine, Nadya Suleman acknowledged that the house "is too small" for her 14 children. "We're going to have to move," she said.

It is unclear, though, how she plans to support her growing family. Three of her children receive federal Supplemental Security Income because of disabilities, and Nadya Suleman acknowledges receiving $490 a month in food stamps.

Her temporary disability income also has stopped; however, she is eligible for permanent disability payments that have yet to be determined, according to workers' compensation records.

Perhaps they'll get a bailout from the Feds so she can stay. :idk:

Archived