My Neighbor is a Selfish Jerk

Phantasm

• Members

Do what you posted earlier. FInd the tree equivilent to "peta". Sick them on his ass. The radical , protesting kind. Plus the news. It might take a little bit to get it rolling but you can definatley get the scumbags name in the media. Revenge is important here. Dont you dare let this go and "be the better man" or I will drive down there and kick your ass!;)

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Do what you posted earlier. FInd the tree equivilent to "peta". Sick them on his ass. The radical , protesting kind. Plus the news. It might take a little bit to get it rolling but you can definatley get the scumbags name in the media.

i wholeheartedly agree. try and do this. check out the webz :thu:

• Members
Just for kicks you ought to place a fake tombstone out by the tree with your neighbor's name on it. If he steps in your yard, let the pitbull go at him.

:whisper:

I have never heard a better idea about anything then Jeffbass's one about this. Best idea ever had. Pure geniality.

• Members

Up front, and only if he loses. If he wins the whole thing is dumped on the neighbor, fees, court costs and tree removal, plus a nice new fence with razor wire and a gun tower.

Each state has their own max you can get out of Small Claims Court (would love to see you on Judge Judy!)

Louisiana $3,000

Mississippi $2,500

Alabama $3,000

that being said, if the removal is THOUSANDS, the value of the tree is thousands, you'll still only get the max of what the court can give.

Punitive damages alone for being a total dick should be the max.

See links below for ref:

http://law.freeadvice.com/resources/smallclaimscourts.htm

https://www.legalzoom.com/small-claims-guide/small-claims-maximum.html

• Members

Definitely! YouTube was made for this stuff if it pans out!

Why are you videotaping?

To put the final nail in the coffin on a civil case? Criminal case?

It sounds like you already have a very strong civil case. Not sure if the video is necessary. And I'm not sure about the legality of displaying the video on YouTube. Do you?

I wouldn't do anything to make my life more difficult or screw up a very strong civil case. That's just me.

• Moderators

that being said, if the removal is THOUSANDS, the value of the tree is thousands, you'll still only get the max of what the court can give.

Punitive damages alone for being a total dick should be the max.

It's not just removal that has value. Oak as a hardwood has value. Given the circumstances has that value (opportunity to sell hardwood to a buyer) been damaged?

• Members

Why are you videotaping?

To put the final nail in the coffin on a civil case? Criminal case?

It sounds like you already have a very strong civil case. Not sure if the video is necessary. And I'm not sure about the legality of displaying the video on YouTube. Do you?

I wouldn't do anything to make my life more difficult or screw up a very strong civil case. That's just me.

The cops could get involved if there was a clear cut shot of the guy poisoning the tree. Then when they arrest him for Vandalizing your property, you put up the video with his face blurred out of course because then he could sue you for using his image without his consent.

• Members

I only read about 2 pages of responses. I'm really sorry you have to deal with this. Truly, I am. It is one of the things I despised most about being a home-owner.

Personally, this is what I would do...

1.) Take the extension ladder. It's on your property, right? It's yours. It's not going to keep an oak that size from falling anyway.

2.) Pursue civil action/small claims court/etc.

3.) Replace the tree with something else that will annoy him.

There are ways to say, "This isn't over" without breaking the law and without damaging his property.

EDIT: I just read some more responses. I think you're handling it well. Good luck! Keep us up to date!

• Members

I would plant willow trees near the fence. They grow fast, droop over the fence and during the fall they shed like no other tree. The people who owned my house had planted 10 of these in the front to provide some privacy to the road. They planted in 2001 and I cut them down in 2008...They were 40 feet tall.

• CMS Author

I wouldn't worry too much about the tree falling. Assuming the entire tree dies from poisoning, it will take years for the wood to rot enough to fell it.

Did you receive a written notice from your insurance company advising you to cut the tree down? If not, the phone conversation never happened, and if the tree falls, the insurance company will have to pay the claim.

A lawyer could certainly make your life easier, and the neighbor's life a living hell, with a few billable hours and some well-worded letters.

Oh, on another topic; did you know that brake fluid is an excellent paint remover for automotive finishes?

• Members

Oh, on another topic; did you know that brake fluid is an excellent paint remover for automotive finishes?

I didn't know that. I did know that red wine will completely eat through the fiberglass of... say a boat or a hottub though.

Archived