My Neighbor is a Selfish Jerk

Phantasm

• Members

Does he still want to buy the land that has the tree on it?

Ooh, that's a really good idea to work into trying to catch him on tape.

Don't tell him the tree has been poisoned/is dead. Ask him if he wants to buy the land. If he's now uninterested, see if you can get him to tip his hand it was him.

Also, on a more serious note, just because the police can't do anything doesn't mean that the law can't do anything. You've got a decent chance of convincing a jury he did it; go after him in civil court for damages.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yep, he does. Needless to say the answer is still no.

Gotcha.

I've just been looking at pictures of Oak trees in the New Orleans area.

Good god! Why would any psycho kill something that awesome?

I can see why it would take thousands to get rid of it too.

Wow. You are soo screwed (using my sympathetic voice, not smarmy) I hate it when the bad guy wins.

• Members

The guy's a dick. I would start by throwing M-80s in his yard, out of sight from the cameras in the middle of the night. Jusy every so often. Say "you can't prove it was me".

Does he have a dog? Poison the damn dog. Yeah the dog shouldn't pay but either should your tree and he started it.

:facepalm:

So, the best solution to dealing with an ass is to be one yourself?

Poisoning a dog? I hope you're being facetious.

Take the arborist's report to the police. If they can't do anything with it, take it to small claims court. they may no be able to do anything, either, but at least you can make him sweat.

• Moderators

Also, on a more serious note, just because the police can't do anything doesn't mean that the law can't do anything. You've got a decent chance of convincing a jury he did it; go after him in civil court for damages.

The funny answers are funny, but this is my answer.

This is what small claims court is for. Whether or not you want to pursue it is up to you.

• Members

Doesn't the fact that he suddenly decided to put up surveillance cameras pointing towards your yard/house make him seem a little suspicious? Aren't there any laws about having your scumbag neighbor videotaping your every move?

Surveillance cameras probably can't see that well at night, so I'm thinking you could wait until it's dark, put on a ninja suit (possibly with some extra padding here & there to alter your silhouette) then move the ladder from his side of the tree and place it on your side of the tree. Next morning, call the police & tell them you heard some strange noises in the middle of the night and woke to find that someone had moved the ladder. Even better, have a buddy do the ninja thing while you're out of town for the night. The night you stayed in a hotel. Maybe had a bit too much to drink and made an ass out of yourself. Not enough of an ass to get in trouble of course, just enough that the bartender and a few people in the hotel lobby would remember you in case you needed someone to validate your alibi.

Then, since the tree won't be shading that part of your yard anymore, decide to take advantage of the new supply of sunlight & plant a garden. Start by digging up the grass on your side of the tree & maybe water the area heavily -- so it's easier to dig. Rent a roto-tiller and go to town. Probably wouldn't do anything to affect the stability of the tree, but if the neighbor is paranoid, he might fear that it could fall towards his yard/house & do something to incriminate himself.

Does he have cameras covering other areas around his house? If not, it'd be a shame if weird {censored} started happening in places that weren't being monitored.

• Members

I would avoid 'messing' with him. Anyone sneaky and conniving enough to poison someone else's tree has an entire deck of crazy up his sleeve. If he was a reasonable person, he would have paid to have it cut down.

If anything, try the civil court thing that our lawyer here suggested.

• Members

I would avoid 'messing' with him. Anyone sneaky and conniving enough to poison someone else's tree has an entire deck of crazy up his sleeve.

He's a bully. The problem of using that approach with bullies is it encourages them. He may posture at first when confronted, but he'll likely back down if you stick to your guns.

Make it official. Call the cops. Take him to small claims court. See how far his blustering and intimidation will get him there. :D

• Members

What a douche this guy is. Sure, he may be deserving of a "beat down" or whatnot, but the best recourse would obviously be to take him to court as others here suggested.

On another note, while I'm not a huge believer in many things, I do believe in the concept of karma. And IMO, this dude has some serious payback coming to him at some time in the future.

• Members

This is what small claims court is for. Whether or not you want to pursue it is up to you.

Based on your experience, can you give me an overview of how to do this and what I should do to prepare?

• Members

I just want to know who the hell thinks an extension ladder is going to keep a big oak tree from falling whichever way it wants to fall.

Furthermore, since the tree is yours, you can remove the ladder.

Since the arborist was able to establish a value for the tree, you should take some pictures and take that fucker to court. If you lose in court, holla atcha boi. I've been looking for some...opportunities.:D

C7

• Members

What a douche this guy is. Sure, he may be deserving of a "beat down" or whatnot, but the best recourse would obviously be to take him to court as others here suggested.

On another note, while I'm not a huge believer in many things, I do believe in the concept of karma. And IMO, this dude has some serious payback coming to him at some time in the future.

no question , Karma: what you do today is who you are tomorrow .

• Members

Considering the clean up costs alone are in the thousands, when you add on the actual value of the property destroyed in the first place, he may well be beyond small claims court.

• Members

The guy's a dick. I would start by throwing M-80s in his yard, out of sight from the cameras in the middle of the night. Jusy every so often. Say "you can't prove it was me".

Does he have a dog? Poison the damn dog. Yeah the dog shouldn't pay but either should your tree and he started it.

Worst advice ever. Only assholes poison dogs.

• Members

Take him to small claims court. Before you go though, try to do some more investigating. For example, see if you can figure out what the poison was that was in your tree. How did he put it in there? Did he use a really long drill bit? Is a drill bit that long hard to find? If so, find out where you can buy a drill bit that long. Is the poison hard to come by? If only a few places in your area sell it, then you could bring a picture of him in there and ask if they remember him buying it.

Just some ideas...

Archived