My Neighbor is a Selfish Jerk

Phantasm

• Members
At times such as these, I believe that Master Splinter would advise the solace and wisdom of the ancient Haiku. Three such examples:

The poor mighty oak,dead

A ladder propping the corpse

Stairway to heaven

Mother nature not happy

Karma, may revenge be sweet

Don

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Get an opinion as to if the tree will come back to life and what you can do to encourage it.

Do this and make sure he knows you're bringing it back to life.

Make sure you have hidden cameras looking in the direction of your tree.

He won't be able to resist trying to finish it off.

• Members

Hey, this is a bit of a shot in the dark, but maybe you could try Googling "how to kill an oak tree drill holes poison" (without the quotes) and see if anyone posted any forum posts not long before those holes were drilled, like this one:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/trees/msg0614475013816.html

If the information from one of these posts would lead you to believe that it's your neighbour (especially if he was stupid enough to post a picture of the tree or something), then you're set.

I know it's a long shot, but some people are really stupid.

• Members

Could you try the police again a couple times? Maybe the first officer you spoke to was in a pissy mood and not willing to help. A few more calls might connect you to someone who might be of more assistance.
Also, if you know a cop or any friends of a cop, you might be able to get the ball rolling through some 'connections' like that.
Another option might be to consult a private investigator. He may have some ideas as to what could be done to gather any evidence that could help.

• Members

Get pictures of the shorn limbs, the ladder, the drill holes, a sample of the wood for the poison, and put a list of events together as best you can remember them. Then spend a hundred bucks on a lawyer for a consultation.

+10 to saving the trees life (if not dead) and treating it with TLC just to piss the {censored}wit of. Save that thing and plant some {censored}ing poplars along the rest of the fence line.

What a {censored}ing asshole. Next time you see him let him know that you know the tree was poisoned, but you just can't figure out why anyone would go to the trouble... Some people sacrifice good relations for selfish ends at every turn.

• Members

This is just my opinion. But do not do anything illegal. If he has cameras up, this is what he is hoping for. There is plenty you can do within the confines of the law.

You could get a small recorder and call him out on it. He may confess something. This would help in court.

Before that I would say getting a camera of your own would be good.

If the tree is dying and is a threat to anyones property. Take it down and chalk it up to a lesson learned. Just because he won a battle does not mean he has to win the war. As stated by other people there are plenty of fast growing trees that can be planted.

Since it is oak it would not hurt to see if you can find someone who may want the wood. If it is not all bad someone may pay you for it.

Good luck and stay safe.

• Members

What's the worst that can happen if you leave the tree as is? Let it rot and then just tell your insurance company of any damage.

And plant another couple trees 10 feet from the fence.

And put a fake camera pointing that direction. He'll assume it's real if he has the real thing.

• Moderators

The advice about the small claims court/attorney consult, etc. are decent posts. I personally wouldn't discuss this matter with your neighbor at this point. You already know it's him and are trying to get your hands on a camera for a reason. Talking to him, sending him a letter or anything like that could tip your hat. He's a bully. The only thing that will bother him is when/if a judgment is made against him. No action prior to that is going to cause him any lost sleep, IMHO. I'm sorry this is happening to you, Phantasm.

• Members

#1 Photo evidence of his ladder TIED to your tree.

#2 Photo evidence of the drill holes.

#3 Photo evidence of the missing fence, easing access to your tree.

#4 Written explanation of everything, in order, that has happened regarding you and your neighbor

#5 Small claims court.

#6 Warrant to search his property for poisons used to kill the tree.

#7 SUE HIS ASS OFF.

A jury WILL find him guilty. You can't be that scumbaggy without people knowing it and realizing you're guilty.

• Members

The advice about the small claims court/attorney consult, etc. are decent posts. I personally wouldn't discuss this matter with your neighbor at this point. You already know it's him and are trying to get your hands on a camera for a reason. Talking to him, sending him a letter or anything like that could tip your hat. He's a bully. The only thing that will bother him is when/if a judgment is made against him. No action prior to that is going to cause him any lost sleep, IMHO. I'm sorry this is happening to you, Phantasm.

A huge +1 .Don't let him bully your more

You need to take legal action . It is obviously him who has poisoned your tree and a judge will see that in no time

• Members

Thanks guys... here's a recap of my current plan.

1) I know people want to call this guy a bully, but he's more a coward. A bully pushes you around and makes sure you know about it, this guy is trying to be sneaky and get away with something. If I hadn't called an arborist, I'd have figured that the tree died on its own and had no way to tell. A bully would say "cut the tree down or i'll take care of it."

2) I've got a night vision DVR camera system and I"ll install a camera pointing at the tree.

3) I will start making it clear that I"m fertilizing the tree. hanging the empties on the fence or putting them in view should send my message. We'll see if he poisons it.

4) If I do have to cut down the tree, I will plant a line of fast-growing trees along the fence. If I can think of vegetation that would actually droop and grow on the fence, I may do that too.

• Members
Small claims court is going to cost you.

Up front, and only if he loses. If he wins the whole thing is dumped on the neighbor, fees, court costs and tree removal, plus a nice new fence with razor wire and a gun tower.

:mad:

I've had a tree fight with my neighbor - methinks we won't be attending each other's cocktail parties....

• Members

Low powered laser pointers wreak hell on IR cameras, and a .177 pellet @ 500 fps will disintegrate on contact enough to leave no trace. You can probbaly even get "green" ones that will bio degrade quickly.

But yeah, do all that legal stuff first...

• Members

Low powered laser pointers wreak hell on IR cameras, and a .177 pellet @ 500 fps will disintegrate on contact enough to leave no trace. You can probbaly even get "green" ones that will bio degrade quickly.

But yeah, do all that legal stuff first...

http://www.spymodex.com/laser001.htm

http://www.beeman.com/rx2.htm

Down with false metal cameras!!!!

Archived