Obama Revives Detainee Tribunals At Guantanamo

hi.flyer

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
I approve of this. I think overall Barack is doing the right thing... he's not just going for broke and trying to push through what HE wants, like W did and like I think alot of people were afraid he would. This is a more pragmatic approach... I mean, some of those mothas actually ARE dangerous terrorists.

Thoughts?

Thoughts? Between the far left media and the Pelosi/Reid Dem leadership it appears you bought hook/line/sinker into the Far Left Dem strategy that Bush is evil. Obama is no more a "pragmatist" than W was.

• Members

Thoughts? Between the far left media and the Pelosi/Reid Dem leadership it appears you bought hook/line/sinker into the Far Left Dem strategy that Bush is evil. Obama is no more a "pragmatist" than W was.

Bush wasn't evil... He was stupid.

• Moderators
Bush wasn't evil... He was stupid.

Yes. He was stupid for holding military trials knowing that his successor of the opposite party would discover the truth and continue with those military trials. Dumb, Dumb Dumb, Dumb, Dumb! Next thing you know the Administration will be against the trials, before they were for the trials, before they were against the trials.:lol:

• Members
Yes. He was stupid for holding military trials knowing that his successor of the opposite party would discover the truth and continue with those military trials. Dumb, Dumb Dumb, Dumb, Dumb! Next thing you know the Administration will be against the trials, before they were for the trials, before they were against the trials.
:lol:

To be fair, Obama did change the things that bummed him about about the way Bush did it.

• Members

I'd guess the intent is to still close the detention facility at Gitmo.

As for the trials---it's about time. The Bush administration played fast and loose with a number of issues, the detention of enemy combatants being one of them.

The US is signatory to the Hague and Geneva Conventions, and we insist that other nations (signatory or not) follow the rules...

Except we don't when it's inconvenient. We just invent a new category of detainee and deprive them of the basic protections we promised to observe.

• Members

I'd guess the intent is to still close the detention facility at Gitmo.

As for the trials---it's about time. The Bush administration played fast and loose with a number of issues, the detention of enemy combatants being one of them.

The US is signatory to the Hague and Geneva Conventions, and we insist that other nations (signatory or not) follow the rules...

Except we don't when it's inconvenient. We just invent a new category of detainee and deprive them of the basic protections we promised to observe.

Non-uniformed "combatants" with no dog tags, etc., working the way these terrorists, or if you prefer, insurgents, work, are not covered under the Geneva Agreement to my knowledge. The last Democratic president oveseeing a war who caught these kind of non-uniformed people gave them a quick military tribunal and summarily executed them.

• Members

Non-uniformed "combatants" with no dog tags, etc., working the way these terrorists, or if you prefer, insurgents, work, are not covered under the Geneva Agreement
to my knowledge
. The last Democratic president overseeing a war who caught these kind of non-uniformed people gave them a quick military tribunal and summarily executed them.

IIRC the Hague and Geneva Conventions make a distinction between Privileged and Unprivileged detainees.

Privileged detainees are regular combatants who bear arms openly and are part of an organized armed force. They are entitled to POW status as soon as they're taken prisoner.

Unprivileged detainees are another category, including spies, saboteurs etc who are held as POWs until granted a hearing by 'fair and competent authority.' After the hearing they may be granted Privileged status and be treated in accordance with the Conventions.

If declared Unprivileged, they are supposed to be remanded to civil authorities for trial.

Archived