Obama Revives Detainee Tribunals At Guantanamo

hi.flyer

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

IIRC the Hague and Geneva Conventions make a distinction between Privileged and Unprivileged detainees.

Privileged detainees are regular combatants who bear arms openly and are part of an organized armed force. They are entitled to POW status as soon as they're taken prisoner.

Unprivileged detainees are another category, including spies, saboteurs etc who are held as POWs until granted a hearing by 'fair and competent authority.' After the hearing they may be granted Privileged status and be treated in accordance with the Conventions.

If declared Unprivileged, they are supposed to be remanded to civil authorities for trial.

Mostly correct, except that is part of the Articles of the Conventions that the US is NOT a part of. IIRC, it's article II. The Article in question was so broadly worded, and in fact purposefully so, that anyone who bore arms at any time was given protection under the convention. It was ramrodded through by the Soviet Bloc and others fighting colonial and "racist' regimes (no really, that's part of the language, Racist regimes), and due to that, the US would not sign.

• Members

And the Oscar goes to....

Nancy Pelosi
:thu:
!

But, but,...I wasn't at the meetings! Oh, I was? Uhmmm, they didn't tell me that there were actually doing those horrible things... D'oh, they did! Well, uhh, the CIA lied to me! Oh, that's right, Panetta is in charge of the CIA and he's the Democratic golden boy. Looks like I can't pin this on on the CIA. Hmmm, I BLAME BUSH!!! :mad::mad::mad:

:facepalm::D

• Members

"Stupid" Bush kept our ass' safe with his stupid policies.Let's wait and see how "change" Obama does.

Yeah, really kept us safe from 9/11 after he was told how many times there was going to be an attack?

• Members
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2004/apr/09/september11.alqaida

Yes, and the intelligence agencies of every or nearly every world power told him that Iraq had nukes and would use them imminently. Not wanting a repeat of 9/11, he pushed forward with a UN sponsored invasion. Look where that got him.

I guess its only convenient for you to recognize things like this when it means you can blame him for something wrong. After all, he took your advice to be proactive when it came to Iraq, but you sure aren't claiming credit for that. :rolleyes:

• Members

I think Obama made the right decision.

How has the United States handled unlawful enemy combatants (not part of any standing army, yet taking up arms against the US on foreign battlefields) in the past?

• Members
I think Obama made the right decision.

How has the United States handled unlawful enemy combatants (not part of any standing army, yet taking up arms against the US on foreign battlefields) in the past?

Few will argue that it's the wrong decision, just that he did it "good" but changing a few things because he loves America and Bush did it "bad" because ..um...er....BUSH EVIL! :mad:

• Members
But, but,...I wasn't at the meetings! Oh, I was? Uhmmm, they didn't tell me that there were actually doing those horrible things... D'oh, they did! Well, uhh, the CIA lied to me! Oh, that's right, Panetta is in charge of the CIA and he's the Democratic golden boy. Looks like I can't pin this on on the CIA. Hmmm, I BLAME BUSH!!!
:mad:

:facepalm::D

Yeah, that describes Pelosi's latest squirm pretty well - of course, I don't expect other Dems to hold it against her - nor acknowledge what a horrible choice she was in the 1st place... Every time I think of the positions that she, Reid, and Dean hold, it makes me wonder how that could ever happen...

- georgestrings

• Members

Obama did what he had to do to get elected, which is lie through his teeth and pretend that he knew more than the EXPERTS in the Bush administration who transformed our intelligence and anti-terrorist capabilities to never-been levels.
Obama's lucky to have inherited such a machine. Too bad the democrats f*cked up the economy so bad in the two years before he took office. He didn't have the luxury of a rapidly growing economy that Clinton inherited and took credit for, even though what he really did was f*ck it all up with taxes and NAFTA.

• Members

I see two possible outcomes.

Maybe, with each Bush policy Obama doesn't change, Americans will stop looking at everything Bush's Administration did as the Worst Thing That Has Ever Happened.

Either that, or Obama's administration is already in deep trouble.

• Members
Yeah, really kept us safe from 9/11 after he was told how many times there was going to be an attack?

I cant help but notice you Obamabots always blame Bush for everything yet never mention all the grand things Obama has done since taking office.Maybe you can enlighten all of us stumbling around in the dark :idea:?

• Members
I cant help but notice you Obamabots always blame Bush for everything yet never mention all the grand things Obama has done since taking office.Maybe you can enlighten all of us stumbling around in the dark
:idea:
?

I can't help but notice that he *seems* to be giving Clinton a free pass regarding 9/11 - of course, I don't expect anything different from a typical lib...

- georgestrings

• Members
Yeah, that describes Pelosi's latest squirm pretty well - of course, I don't expect other Dems to hold it against her - nor acknowledge what a horrible choice she was in the 1st place... Every time I think of the positions that she, Reid, and Dean hold, it makes me wonder how that could ever happen...

- georgestrings

And to see her backpedal yesterday. 'erm, the CIA didn't lie to me, the Evil Bush Administration lied to me. BUSH EVIL :mad:'

• Members

I was listening to a liberal describe Obama and the situation regarding Club Gitmo on the way home from a jam today. He just got finished describing how nice it is to have such an intelligent president when he started in on Gitmo. He used the words "unbelievably stupid" and "the Bush administration" no less than 4 times in 30 seconds. Then the conservative at the table had to remind him that NOBODY wants to take the prisoners, Obama ain't closing Gitmo and the military tribunals will continue.
Who's stupid?
You know what I say? Put them in a prison with the baddest of the Latin Kings and Gangster Disciples, then they'll be praying to go back to Club Gitmo.

• Members
Yes, and the intelligence agencies of every or nearly every world power told him that Iraq had nukes and would use them imminently. Not wanting a repeat of 9/11, he pushed forward with a UN sponsored invasion. Look where that got him.

I guess its only convenient for you to recognize things like this when it means you can blame him for something wrong. After all, he took your advice to be proactive when it came to Iraq, but you sure aren't claiming credit for that.
:rolleyes:

Uh, took my advice for being proactive in Iraq?! I've said nothing of the sort and folks in here can attest that I've been against the war from day 1.

• Members
I cant help but notice you Obamabots always blame Bush for everything yet never mention all the grand things Obama has done since taking office.Maybe you can enlighten all of us stumbling around in the dark
?

Yes, I voted for Obama but the only reason I did is because I really really really didn't want McCain and more to the point, Palin, leading this country. I don't love Obama, nor do I think the things he has done so far have been particularly good for our country.

That said, I pretty much think Bush sucked {censored}. I think I've been pretty clear on that subject for the last 8 years in here.. ;)

• Members

I can't help but notice that he *seems* to be giving Clinton a free pass regarding 9/11 - of course, I don't expect anything different from a typical lib...

- georgestrings

You're talking about the times when Bin Laden could have been killed, right?

• Members
Uh, took my advice for being proactive in Iraq?! I've said nothing of the sort and folks in here can attest that I've been against the war from day 1.

Not about Iraq, but being about being proactive. :wave:

• Members
?

Im no Obama fan but I'll say this much: Hes been in office a little over four months and he has been handed an 8-year mess that the amazing Bush legacy left. Seeds take time to grow - you dont have to be an Obamabot to realize this

Archived