Before there was Geddy...

gonzobassman

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is an old argument that's been going on over at the BSWTB. But you know? Criticizing people who do the same thing you do, play bass, is lame. Are you a professional critic? Cool. Are you criticizing the Foo Fighters latest? Cool.

Are you a bass player criticizing another bass player? {censored}ing lame. Unless you're not really a bass payer and are just playing at the idea of wearing it as a persona. Then by all means criticize.

Personally I'm just a hobbyist player, weekend warrior at best. I view it in the same way as a guy who plays basketball at the park on the weekends criticizing an NBA player :)

Not that I would talk {censored} about many pro bassists, but if I want to criticize one's style I won't feel any professional courtesy stopping me because these guys are pros and I'm not.

* By the same token you won't see me at a bar calling my fellow weekend warrior bassist overrated :p

• Moderators

Personally I'm just a hobbyist player, weekend warrior at best. I view it in the same way as a guy who plays basketball at the park on the weekends criticizing an NBA player
:)

Not that I would talk {censored} about many pro bassists, but if I want to criticize one's style I won't feel any professional courtesy stopping me because these guys are pros and I'm not.

* By the same token you won't see me at a bar calling my fellow weekend warrior bassist overrated
:p

That's good! Now play that logic out and you'll find you shouldn't slam the pros either.

• Members

That's good! Now play that logic out and you'll find you shouldn't slam the pros either.

Firstly, there is a difference between criticizing and slamming, and secondly, I find your posting overrated :)

And thirdly, you clearly have missed my point about the distinction between criticizing professionals and otherwise. Saying I think Geddy's bass playing is overrated is no different than saying I think Kobe's basketball playing is overrated, or Tom Hanks' acting is overrated. I'm not any good at acting or playing basketball, and my bass playing is so far short of Geddy's as to be about in the same camp.

If you insist on the idea that someone isn't allowed to criticize someone else period, well...you might want to get off the internet, you're in for a bumpy ride.

• Members

Tim Bogart!!! Man I completely forgot him! And I saw Tal on the VH-1 thing a couple of nights ago. Even though she looks like a 12 year old(not slamming her,just saying...),she is very tasty,and while filling the groove to perfection,her riffing,and chording are excellent. She should be around for a while to come!!!

• Members

This is an old argument that's been going on over at the BSWTB. But you know? Criticizing people who do the same thing you do, play bass, is lame. Are you a professional critic? Cool. Are you criticizing the Foo Fighters latest? Cool.

Are you a bass player criticizing another bass player? {censored}ing lame. Unless you're not really a bass payer and are just playing at the idea of wearing it as a persona. Then by all means criticize.

More and more I'm coming around to this way of thinking. At least with regards to how I word things.

Which is cool, because now instead of saying:

"I think Geddy is overrated"

I can say:

"I don't care for his clangy, midrange tone. But I accept that it works for him and the band he plays in."

At which point a lot of people would probably say: "So what?". I'm cool with that too.

• Members

Firstly, there is a difference between criticizing and slamming, and secondly, I find your posting overrated
:)

And thirdly, you clearly have missed my point about the distinction between criticizing professionals and otherwise. Saying I think Geddy's bass playing is overrated is no different than saying I think Kobe's basketball playing is overrated, or Tom Hanks' acting is overrated. I'm not any good at acting or playing basketball, and my bass playing is so far short of Geddy's as to be about in the same camp.

If you insist on the idea that someone isn't allowed to criticize someone else period, well...you might want to get off the internet, you're in for a bumpy ride.

Instead of referring to some mythical and arbitrary rating system, why not just say what it is that you don't like about these guys?

"Overrated" really is a cop out. A popularity contest, and inflammatory statement with no substance.

See, I think LeBron is overrated. Hah. What does that mean?

Verses: Watch LeBron in the 2011 finals try and take people off the dribble as if he was a point guard. Look at how many times he coughed up the ball doing that.

Inflammatory vs. insightful. I'll choose insightful.

• Moderators

I wouldn't criticize anyone that could absolutely make me look like a total novice on my instrument of choice. First time I saw Tal Wilkenfield play, I almost sold all my bass {censored} and went back to singing.
:eek:

I felt the same way when I saw Michael Manring. Basically, if he's playing bass, what the hell have I been doing all this time?

• Moderators

Instead of referring to some mythical and arbitrary rating system, why not just say what it is that you don't like about these guys?

"Overrated" really is a cop out. A popularity contest, and inflammatory statement with no substance.

See, I think LeBron is overrated. Hah. What does that mean?

Verses: Watch LeBron in the 2011 finals try and take people off the dribble as if he was a point guard. Look at how many times he coughed up the ball doing that.

Inflammatory vs. insightful. I'll choose insightful.

Along the same line, when someone says, "I think X is overrated," a less inflammatory response might be, "Why do you think that?" rather than, "Oh, yeah? Let's hear you play, then!"

• Members

Geddy Lee is still: alive, playing, touring, writing, recording, endorsing, giving (Grapes under Pressure) and generally still the funny, humble guy he was years ago. Uriah Heap cannot hold a candle to any portion of Rush, and AC, while amazing, is not a musicians band, but more rock theater. AC and Rush should both be Hall of Fame bands, each a front runner in their nice. Uriah Heap is not even in the same ballpark. That said, I am sure all three bassists can play circles around most of us, my self included, cause they did it for a living for years. I saw Rush this past summer, and he is in top form, in fact, the best I have ever seen him play (9 times). If he is over rated, it balances out for all the years he and Rush were maligned. And, IMHO, Entwistle IS in the same tier as Geddy, but stylistically, a totally different type of player. All these guys have yet to reach the level of Victor Wooten, Jeff Berlin, Michael Manring, Stanley Clark and Jaco. These guys make us ALL look like hacks, the Prog rock gods included.

• Members

Along the same line, when someone says, "I think X is overrated," a less inflammatory response might be, "Why do you think that?" rather than, "Oh, yeah? Let's hear you play, then!"

Actually, I asked that also - no answer on it, though... probably because the person saying it *thought* they'd look cool by saying it, but in reality didn't have any reasons to back it up...

- georgestrings

• Members

This exactly 100%. If someone makes a claim that someone is overrated their duty is to explain why, not to prove they are better first :)

• Members

Jesus christ, Bass forum. All it took was this:

Hate to say it but Geddy's overrated. Don't get me wrong,
excellent, top-notch musician, just a bit overrated
. That's basically how feel about the entire band Rush.

OH MY GOSH WHAT AN INFLAMMATORY STATEMENT! HOW DARE YOU CRITICIZE THE SACRED BASS IDOL! YOU PROBABLY SUCK AND THINK THAT BY TRASHING THIS POOR HELPLESS CELEBRITY YOU LOOK COOL BUT YOU ARE NOT YOU ARE SO DUMB AND NOT FAMOUS SO YOU AREN'T EVEN ALLOWED TO HAVE AN OPINION!

In my opinion, Rush fans are whiny and overly defensive, and I submit this thread as evidence backing that statement up.

• Members

OH MY GOSH WHAT AN INFLAMMATORY STATEMENT! HOW DARE YOU CRITICIZE THE SACRED BASS IDOL! YOU PROBABLY SUCK AND THINK THAT BY TRASHING THIS POOR HELPLESS CELEBRITY YOU LOOK COOL BUT YOU ARE NOT YOU ARE SO DUMB AND NOT FAMOUS SO YOU AREN'T EVEN ALLOWED TO HAVE AN OPINION!

In my opinion, Rush fans are whiny and overly defensive, and I submit this thread as evidence backing that statement up.

you could be onto something!

but unless you have started whiny and overly defensive threads that are better than this one, you have no business criticizing.

• Members

Nah, we just are easily butt hurt....:lol:

• Members
This is starting to look like the HCBF of the olden times...
:lol::thu:

You want the HCBF of olden times?

You can't handle the HCBF of olden times! Son, we live in a forum that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with moderator status. Who's gonna do it? You? You, forumite Weinberg? Moderators have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom! You weep for banned members and you curse the Moderators. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that forumite bans, while tragic, probably saved lives.

Archived