Before there was Geddy...

gonzobassman

• Members

He didn't say Geddy couldn't play, he said he was overrated. There's a difference. Whether he's a kid who's never picked up a bass in his life of Vic Wooten incognito, he's still entitled to say he thinks Geddy is overrated. Likewise, anyone who disagrees is entitled to say so, but to attack him on the basis of his playing ability is a logical fallacy. Might as well say he can't say that Geddy is overrated because you don't like his avatar.

Whatever - more often than not, when people attempt to tear down the efforts of others, their own talents are inferior to the talents they're attacking... I'm not real big on talking trash about people whom are better players than myself - although apparantly, *you* don't have a problem with it...

Now, I'm no huge Rush fan, but IMO all 3 are fairly accomplished musicians - so, exactly how are they "overrated"???

- georgestrings

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Whatever - more often than not, when people attempt to tear down the efforts of others, their own talents are inferior to the talents they're attacking... I'm not real big on talking trash about people whom are better players than myself - although apparantly, *you* don't have a problem with it...

Now, I'm no huge Rush fan, but IMO all 3 are fairly accomplished musicians - so, exactly how are they "overrated"???

- georgestrings

You misunderstand. I didn't say that they were overrated, I merely defended another person's right to express his opinion that Geddy is. In the spirit of the classic quote, "I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." I have this thing about freedom of speech: I think it's important.

• Moderators

- georgestrings

You misunderstand. I didn't say that they were overrated, I merely defended another person's right to express his opinion that Geddy is. In the spirit of the classic quote, "I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." I have this thing about freedom of speech: I think it's important.

• Members

Demons and Wizards was the album that brought Uriah Heep to the attention of my crowd. I've had a lot of fun over the years playing Easy Livin' from that album and Stealin' from Sweet Freedom.

Those are some great bass lines. I used to play Easy Livin', and the title is ironic. It's anything but that.

• Moderators

Those are some great bass lines. I used to play Easy Livin', and the title is ironic. It's anything but that.

I'm sure I never learned the bass line properly. I was also lead singer, so I had to go with whatever I could play and still sing the song. Damned fun tune, regardless.

• Members

I'm not misunderstanding anything - I know *you* didn't say it... Funny thing about freedom of speech - people are often held accountable for their words, although not often enough, IMO...

Again, so that *you* understand it - I'm not real big on talking {censored} about other musicians - especially ones with obvious abilities, and a noteable career that spans atleast 40 years - and ESPECIALLY by someone who hasn't shown ANYTHING in regards to talent, ability, and accomplishments - YMMV, though...

- georgestrings

• Members
What do you recommend for a Uriah Heep album? They're one of the bands I'd like to hear more of.

The best Uriah Heep albums (my opinion, of course) are starting with the best at the top...

51vq9LXX-EL._SL500_AA300_.jpg "Salisbury" The original U.S. edition had different album art.

61jCFGp3O%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg The first Uriah Heep album. The original U.S. edition had different album art.

41j3KzP06iL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

61NizHrVEIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41kGca0oCQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

512Gt5pTUaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51fHRD-BRdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51F35RNPA2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51cxffb8tgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A good place to listen to samples:

http://www.amazon.com/Uriah-Heep/e/B000APF6EA/works/ref=ntt_mus_teaser?

The albums after David Byron (the vocalist) left are pretty dodgy at best.

• Moderators

Again, so that *you* understand it - I'm not real big on talking {censored} about other musicians - especially ones with obvious abilities, and a noteable career that spans atleast 40 years - and ESPECIALLY by someone who hasn't shown ANYTHING in regards to talent, ability, and accomplishments - YMMV, though...

- georgestrings

what George said.

• 2 weeks later...
    • Members

Dunaway has been in my list o' Top 10 bassists since the 70s. I love that guy's playing. Apparently he was also the member of Alice Cooper (yeah, that used to be a band name and not just a pseudonym for a singer named Vincent Furnier) who had the initial ideas for a lot of their stage act with the grand guignol bloodspatter theatrics and such.

The first few Alice Cooper albums (before it became a solo act) are so great and so much fun...

• Members

According to the "playing ability standard" probably
    none
    of us could ever have
    anything
    negative to say about any of the "stars" of their profession. That concept is just totally absurd IMO.

I don't know about all that - odds are pretty good that I can outplay a fair amount of bona fide rock star bassists, but I still don't talk {censored} about them... One would think that anyone posting here has atleast a little musical background - how about having a little class, and don't trash talk other musicians???

I find it especially laughable for someone that can't even list a band they're playing in to belittle the accomplishments of a bassist with a 40 year career, and tons of great recorded bass lines - obviously, YMMV, though...

- georgestrings

• Members

Dunaway has been in my list o' Top 10 bassists since the 70s. I love that guy's playing. Apparently he was also the member of Alice Cooper (yeah, that used to be a
    band name
    and not just a pseudonym for a singer named Vincent Furnier) who had the initial ideas for a lot of their stage act with the grand guignol bloodspatter theatrics and such.

The first few Alice Cooper albums (before it became a solo act) are so great and so much fun...

Yea,I agree. After he started collaberating with Bernie Taupin (of Elton John hit writting fame),he became the ultimate,and possibly the first big time rock and roll SELLOUT!!! That said,when "Only Women Bleed" came out,he filled stadiums worldwide for several years.Financially a very solvent move for Vincent.Musically it turned the whole Alice Cooper experience into a caberet show IMHO.

• Members

According to the "playing ability standard" probably
    none
    of us could ever have
    anything
    negative to say about any of the "stars" of their profession. That concept is just totally absurd IMO.

If that's what it takes. I'm a big non-fan of putting down others' abilities, regardless of my own, & expecially in regard to something as subjective as art (music). There are a lot of things (including people) that I don't particularly dig, but I'll applaud & encourage them anyway for doing what they do. I can't hold anybody else to my standards; I have a hard enough time coming up short of them myself!

• Members

So any music critic who doesn't care for Geddy's playing has to play bass better than Geddy before he can criticize him?

What a load of {censored}. Seriously, I have seen dumber things posted on the internet, but you guys are getting close.

• Members

So any music critic who doesn't care for Geddy's playing has to play bass better than Geddy before he can criticize him?

What a load of {censored}. Seriously, I have seen dumber things posted on the internet, but you guys are getting close.

your posts are better than mine, so i have nothing to say.

• Members

That's not exactly the point I was trying to make - I didn't think it was all that difficult to understand, but apparantly it is...

Two things, though - I noticed that when I asked that poster exactly HOW they thought Geddy was "overrated", and what they themselves had done musically, no answer was given to either question...

Anyways - have fun slagging other pro musicians - *I* think it's a classless move, but whatever makes you feel better about yourself... I'm done with this...

- georgestrings

• Members

I think when people say, "Geddy Lee is overrated" they are basically looking to start some trouble. Personally I think he's up there with the best rock/prog bass players and he does his own thing so comparing him to Squire, Bruce or Entwhistle really does them all a disservice. It's like comparing really good spaghetti to really good sushi so what's the point? :facepalm:

• Members
    I think when people say, "Geddy Lee is overrated" they are basically looking to start some trouble. Personally I think he's up there with the best rock/prog bass players and he does his own thing so comparing him to Squire, Bruce or Entwhistle really does them all a disservice. It's like comparing really good spaghetti to really good sushi so what's the point?
    :facepalm:

Agreed - and will add: most of the time I see someone trash talking another musician, *to me* it comes off as the sour grapes whining of someone who's bitter from their own lack of success - I'm just sayin'...

- georgestrings

• Members

I think when someone someone says "Geddy Lee is overrated", it's because they think he's overrated, and in their opinion he is whether you agree or not.

No reason to make assumptions and ridiculously demand samples of someone's playing simply because they have a specific view on something. Get over it.

If you ask me, Geddy Lee is an amazing musician. I can't imagine anyone else filling his shoes and doing what he does as well as he does it.

• Members

Personally I think anyone who says Geddy is overrated is a dumbass, but I'll defend his right to have that opinion regardless of his own personal talent.

That said, I do think a statement like "X super famous and universally acclaimed bass player is overrated" needs to be backed up with reasons.

• Members

I'm still trying to get my mind around Geddy being overated. Rush (and therefore Geddy) have been snubbed by critics,everyone in the "business" including the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame... Basically everone in the music business except for the fans! With that in mind,the only people who have ever "overated" Geddy would indeed be his (and Rush's) fans. So I'm still trying to wrap my mind around that one. Interesting left turn this post took none the less!!! Lol

• Moderators

This is an old argument that's been going on over at the BSWTB. But you know? Criticizing people who do the same thing you do, play bass, is lame. Are you a professional critic? Cool. Are you criticizing the Foo Fighters latest? Cool.

Are you a bass player criticizing another bass player? {censored}ing lame. Unless you're not really a bass payer and are just playing at the idea of wearing it as a persona. Then by all means criticize.

Archived