Prog Rock: Where to Start?

y-o-y

• Members

Having said all that, it sounds to me that your beef is more with their guitarist than the band. I have always felt he was the weak link in the band, musically speaking. If he had the chops that the bassist and drummer do they'd be rhythmically a lot more challenging than they presently are I dare say.

Yup on all counts.

Adam Jones is weak - can the guy even play a rudimentary solo?

I doubt it....

Rhythmically, Tool is extremely interesting, but having grown listening to greats like Steve Howe, Adam Jones ain't fit to polish Howe's boot.

There's more texture and versatility from Howe in "Starship Trooper" than the entire Tool catalog combined.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

and sorry for you Cliff Burton fans at around 2;40

If that was The 801, I dare say there's a reason no one has mentioned it yet. O_o

That was just brutal, sorry. That "Cliff Burton" passage? It reminds me of when I was 15, owned a wah pedal and some distoriton and thought that if I moved my fingers a whole bunch randomly, I too was an amazing soloist. That there is why the term FAIL was invented.

• Members

Curious, you play so totally off key, off time and off tempo to the rest of the band, could your mp3's not be considered prog? More specifically, where Yes starts prog, you end it.

I'm thinking Prog, but with a red circle around it and a red line diagonally through it.

• Members

Three Friend's - Gentle Giant
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - Genesis
-----------------
I think out of all my prog rock collection, which is huge, these two albums hit me the hardest.
Powerful, highly adventurous music that's performed impeccably and nearly impossible to define.
Dim the lights and wear some headphones for full effect. :)

• Members

I have that album Muddslide! I also have the remastered versions of Remember the Future, Recycled, Down to Earth, Magic is a Child, and Prodigal Son.
I actually have the first version of Remember the Future on cd, which was a messed up mix!!

• Members

So, I want to delve into the world of progressive rock and need some recommedations for listening.

I am looking for 2 or 3 quintessential albums on which to get my feet wet. I have had exposure to the standard Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Genesis that gets played on classic rock radio, but I want to go a little deeper.

I know this is a broad topic, but where should I start?

Check out a German band called High Wheel.

• Members

Check out a German band called High Wheel.

I really dig Lucifer's Friend, who were a bunch of German prog rockers except for singer John Lawton, who was English. Their bassplayer was just unfrikinbelievable. I think his name was Dieter Horns or something. Wicked, just like Lawton's voice.

• Members

I have that album Muddslide! I also have the remastered versions of Remember the Future, Recycled, Down to Earth, Magic is a Child, and Prodigal Son.

I actually have the first version of Remember the Future on cd, which was a messed up mix!!

That is cool! I have Tab on vinyl but it's falling to pieces. The CD I burned from it is pretty staticky and scratchy too.

I need to upgrade to some of these remastered discs fo' sho'.

• Members

I have In absentia, Deadwing, Lightbulb Sun, Nil Recurring, and FoaBP. What should I get next? And how is the Blackfield stuff?

Stupid Dream or Signify.

The Blackfield stuff blows my mind how good it is. It is less Prog, but completely badass. Grab both albums.

Archived