Prog Rock: Where to Start?

y-o-y

• Members
OK, let me try to help the simple proletariat grasp this simple concept. Fragile is the best album
to start with
. Not the best, not the most radical, not the most technical, not even Yes's best album.

It
IS
the most accessible Prog Album for someone just getting into the genre.

THREAD CLOSED!

AGAIN!

:mad:

Oh, okay, I think I see what you're saying actually. Fragile has stuff like 'Roundabout", which is still a class progressive Yes song but is also actually kinda an awesome classic rock single. More palatable, perhaps, to the ears of a prog neophyte. I can dig it. :thu:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
OK, let me try to help the simple proletariat grasp this simple concept. Fragile is the best album
to start with
. Not the best, not the most radical, not the most technical, not even Yes's best album.

It
IS

THREAD CLOSED!

AGAIN!

Oh, okay, I think I see what you're saying actually. Fragile has stuff like 'Roundabout", which is still a class progressive Yes song but is also actually kinda an awesome classic rock single. More palatable, perhaps, to the ears of a prog neophyte. I can dig it. :thu:

• Members
to start with

It
IS

THREAD CLOSED!

AGAIN!

I respectfully disagree, I'd start someone with King Crimson (1st or Red) or ELP Tarkus. Yes's Fragile is more accessible, perhaps, but for me, that makes it more pop than prog.

• Members
I respectfully disagree, I'd start someone with King Crimson (1st or Red) or ELP Tarkus. Yes's Fragile is more accessible, perhaps, but for me, that makes it more pop than prog.

Tarkus would also be high in my list...just behind Fragile! :mad:

:D

• Members

I agree, Yes's "Fragile" is great but it's more "prog light".

"In the Court of the Crimson King" is a much better representative of prog.
I think it's the most important and essential prog album ever recorded.

However, I think the guys in "Gentle Giant" are the reining kings of prog. :cool:

• Members
I agree, Yes's "Fragile" is great but it's more "prog light".

"In the Court of the Crimson King" is a much better representative of prog.

I think it's the most important and essential prog album ever recorded.

However, I think the guys in "Gentle Giant" are the reining kings of prog.
:cool:

again, not reading the title of the thread! :mad:

• Moderators

Yea,you are out there,but Cooper's original band was certainly a force to be reckoned with.Dunaway was one of the coolest bassist there was(Baby If You Wanna Be My Lover,Billion Dollar Babies,Under My Wheels)Great bass lines!Wonder whatever happened to him.

Thrown under the wheels of Furnier's career?

• Members
First of all, TC, go to progarchives.com and poke around there, you'll find lots of different bands from around the world, many free songs, and descriptions of the different genres of prog.

Prog is 95% of what I listen to, both modern and classic. I like older stuff like KC, Gentle Giant, and Pink Floyd but I also love the new wave of modern prog that has been sweeping across Europe.

Progressive Rock is more of an idea or an art form. It has nothing to do with how long the songs are, whether or not keyboards are used, or fast 'chops'! Progressive Rock is an attempt by musicians to create an art that goes beyond the established pop music scene by using more structure, composition, dynamics, and different ideas. The Beatles (later on) and Captain Beefheart (along with Frank Zappa) are considered early innovators of Prog Rock even though they have short, poppy sounding songs.

Here are some of the bands I've recently discovered, that you guys should check out.

800px-Comus_1971.jpg
Comus
, First Utterance. The media pegged them as "acid folk" back in the 70s due to their crazed, bombastic, acoustic instrumentation along with often gruesome lyrical content.

B0002VEONG.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

White Willow
is a personal favorite of mine right now. This album is one of their more darker, melancholy releases. Female vox, plodding guitars, cello, mellotron, organ, slower tempo. ect..

AnekdotenATimeOfADay.jpg

Anekdoten
: Probably one of the more well known bands in the Scandinavian prog scene.

pure%20reason%20revolution.jpg
Pure Reason Revolution.
I just found this band a week ago due to an iTunes recommendation and they blew me away! THIS is the future of prog. If only their follow up release is as good as this album!

Bands like Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, and King Crimson are obvious recommendations and you should look into them immediately. The cool thing about Prog musicians is that they often times involved in many side projects and collaborations simply because of their love of music and indifference to how much money they make through album sales. Look how many side projects Steven Wilson, Petrucci, and Robert Fripp have put out and you can see what I'm talking about.

WTF MAN YES! x100000! COMUS! I actually JUST got introduced to them yesterday by a friend of mine and my first reaction was "WHY THE HELL DID NO ONE TELL ME ABOUT THIS!" I loved it!

If you're interested in more modern prog I too would highly suggest Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Katatonia, etc..

• Moderators

Still, he has a point, in that accessible and "more pop than prog" make it a good starting point.

• Moderators
again, not reading the title of the thread!

But "Court" is also accessible. "Twenty-first Century Schizoid Man" has an easily recognizable riff, a simple vocal hook, and has been covered by Ozzy Osbourne, Flower Travellin' Band, Entombed, Voivod, Unrest, Rorschach, April Wine and Forbidden. "Confusion" is also simple enough to draw a neophyte in, before it starts to get prog-weird.

• Members
But "Court" is also accessible. "Twenty-first Century Schizoid Man" has an easily recognizable riff, a simple vocal hook, and has been covered by Ozzy Osbourne, Flower Travellin' Band, Entombed, Voivod, Unrest, Rorschach, April Wine and Forbidden. "Confusion" is also simple enough to draw a neophyte in, before it starts to get prog-weird.

Is it the correct introduction to Prog? The most accessible to the average listener whilst still being firmly in the Prog tradition (as opposed to bands like Rush that kinda staddle the fence)? I think not. It's fine to disagree with me as long as one doesn't mind being on the Team Wrong! :mad:

• Members
to start with

I don't think it's the best to start with at all.

Jon Anderson's "unique" voice could turn a lot of people off.

I'm a Yes fan and still his voice irratates me at times.

The music however is top notch. :thu:

• Moderators
Is it the correct
introduction
to Prog? The most accessible to the average listener whilst still being firmly in the Prog tradition (as opposed to bands like Rush that kinda staddle the fence)? I think not. It's fine to disagree with me as long as one doesn't mind being on the Team Wrong!

A position with which I'm sure you're well acquainted! :mad:

• Members
Is it the correct
introduction
to Prog?
The most accessible to the average listener
whilst still being firmly in the Prog tradition (as opposed to bands like Rush that kinda staddle the fence)? I think not. It's fine to disagree with me as long as one doesn't mind being on the Team Wrong!

By your logic this one would put me on "Team Right":

sgt_pepper.jpg
http://www.stevesbeatles.com/cds/album-covers/sgt_pepper.jpg

Archived