Prog Rock: Where to Start?

y-o-y

• Members

I agree with lug Fragile is the place to start, along with In the court of the crimson king and Camel - Mirage :thu:

But i also recommend:

Camel - first 4 albums
Comus - First Utterance
Magma - Magma (Kobaia)
Gong - Radio Gnome Trilogy
Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts
Taal - Skymind
Morte Macabre - Symphonic Holocaust
Gryphon - Red Queen to Gryphon Three

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Yes Album, Close to the Edge, Going for the One are in my opinion better than Fragile.

Jon Anderson MAKES YES. His voice is sometimes irritating, but as a singer, he's miles ahead of his contemporary bros.

I have to get my hands on that Nektar album, now.

• Members
The Yes Album, Close to the Edge, Going for the One are in my opinion better than Fragile.

Jon Anderson MAKES YES. His voice is sometimes irritating, but as a singer, he's miles ahead of his contemporary bros.

I have to get my hands on that Nektar album, now.

Better but not more accessable. My personal favorite is Relayer and Close. Like him or not, Anderson can match his album performances better live than almost any singer I've ever heard. :thu:

• Members
He's a better singer than lyricist! He sounds like an elf with balls.
:lol:

How can you beat beautiful lyrics like this!

Ill be the round about
The words will make you out n out
You change the day your way
Call it morning driving thru the sound and
In and out the valley

The muses dance and sing
They make the children really ring
I spend the day your way
In and out the valley

In and around the lake
Mountains come out of the sky and they
Stand there
One mile over well be there and well see
You
Ten true summers well be there and
Laughing too
Twenty four before my love youll see Ill be
There with you

I will remember you
Your silhouette will charge the view
Of distance atmosphere
Even in the valley

Along the drifting cloud the eagle searching
Down on the land
Catching the swirling wind the sailor sees
The rim of the land
The eagles dancing wings create as weather
Spins out of hand
Go closer hold the land feel partly no more
Than grains of sand
We stand to lose all time a thousand answers
By in our hand
Next to your deeper fears we stand
Surrounded by a million years

Perfectly clear to me!
:D

• Members

UK's first album

Kansas - Leftoverture

Genesis -Trick of the Tail

Yes - Close to the Edge

Renaissance - Live at Carnegie Hall

I have them all!! Great albums! I saw them all live too, included both versions of UK.

The best show I ever saw was Renaissance and Gentle Giant at the Riviera Theater in Chicago in 1977.

• Members

saw 'em all myself. The UK show was a free concert at Penns Landing in Philly with the crowd estimated at around 30K. Then the fire broke out on the next pier adding an additional light/sound show with the fire, sirens, lights, etc. Now that I think about it..........Renaissance was also at Penns Landing earlier in the summer. That was a good year.

• Members

I remember UK came to the Uptown Theater at the beginning of their first tour and then came to the Aragon Ballroom at the end of the first tour. The difference was night and day, they were just more powerful the second time around.
Then Bruford and Holdsworth left the band and I saw the "new" UK open for Jethro Tull. Bozzio just tore up the drums! It was a great show and Ian Anderson ended up stealing Eddie Jobson to join Tull.
Nothing hit me like Renaissance and Gentle Giant though. I was 5th row center and really wasn't expecting much because I didn't really know either band. My guitar player (and his brother) took me there and paid for my ticket. The second Annie Haslam started singing and John Camp started playing that Rickenbacker I was GONE, in a total trance! The sound was perfect! They were so good that I felt sorry for Gentle Giant before they took the stage. WRONG!
------------------
Here's a bit of cool HCBF trivia. Gentle Giant's amazingly talented guitar player worked the sound board for one of our very own forum members! Name the guitar player and name the forum member!

• 4 years later...

Archived