Wearing shorts at a gig? OK or not?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've worn shorts at a regular gig once. It was an outdoor gig, a "celebrity charity golf tournament" gig (a sort of prominent football coach who happens to be a hometown boy hosts it every year). It was deadly hot, and I wore the same thing all the other guys were wearing, a nice golf shirt and some dress shorts.

Shorts for me are kinda odd, because I've had knee surgery, and have a big scar on my right knee. But if anyone asks, I just put on my best pirate voice and say "ARRRR, matey, that's where I took one from the cutlass of Capt. Bootstrap Jack"...

• Members

I live in South Florida, and I wouldn't be caught dead in shorts at a gig. And I've played outdoor gigs. We just played Sunfest a few weeks ago, and I was in jeans and a long sleeve button down shirt.

I drive around in my car with a broken AC unit in jeans most of the time.

IMHO, shorts are for little boys, athletes, and swimming. There's a reason they called them "short pants" until about 40 years ago, and men didn't wear them after they turned 13 or so.

It depresses me that I see so many grown men walking around dressed like giant toddlers: sneakers, shorts, pullover shirt, baseball hat. It depresses me even more when I see "professional" musicians dressed the same way.

Wow! Long sleeve button down shirt and jeans?! WHAT? This was during the day? I would have fallen over.

Does it really depress you to see men in shorts? And a Baseball hat? WTF are you talking about??

I'm guessing you are alot older than me (34) .

I would probably depress you very much..

If I am playing a rehersal dinner, or nice indoor gig or corporate gig I dress appropriately, otherwise {censored} it, just wear what is comfortable (of course you don't want to look like a slob)

Patrons usually comment on how good I look esp. the ladies!!HEHEHHE!(Its funny because its true)

• Members

We played an outdoor, afternoon gig at a Harley dealer last Sat. It was a 88 degrees in the shade and a concrete stage (can you say "solar collector"?) that must have toasted to 120 degrees, even with the overhead and backdrop tarps to keep the sun off most of us. We went through a case of Gatorade and still were exhausted at the end of three sets. I can't imagine NOT playing the gig in shorts.

I'm doing a bar patio gig tomorrow afternoon and you can be sure I'll be in shorts.

• Members

We played an outdoor, afternoon gig at a Harley dealer last Sat. It was a 88 degrees in the shade and a concrete stage (can you say "solar collector"?) that must have toasted to 120 degrees, even with the overhead and backdrop tarps to keep the sun off most of us. We went through a case of Gatorade and still were exhausted at the end of three sets. I can't imagine NOT playing the gig in shorts.

I'm doing a bar patio gig tomorrow afternoon and you can be sure I'll be in shorts.

If its that hot (and outdoors), you'll look weird in jeans or pants because the audience is going to be dressed in shorts too. If its indoors and the AC is working, I'd recommend not wearing shorts.

• Members

Being a musician is all about rebelling against oppression. Even if it's from oppressive heat. For me, it's all about the black boots, black jeans, black long sleeve t-shirt, black hooded sweatshirt, full length black leather coat, and black beanie. Oh yeah, can't forget the black shades. Especially when playing beach gigs in July. Gotta protect the image.

• Members

Wow, 88, that's a nice day man, I'd love to play on an 88 degree day, guess I'll have to wait for fall..... THere's no way your concrete was 120, trust me, 88 with shade, that's got to be the best gig I've ever heard of (sacasm is to be duely noted)......... I'm off to a 103+ degree pool party and I've got my jeans and boots ready to go!

• Members
Wow! Long sleeve button down shirt and jeans?! WHAT? This was during the day? I would have fallen over.

Does it really depress you to see men in shorts? And a Baseball hat? WTF are you talking about??

I'm guessing you are alot older than me (34) .

I would probably depress you very much..

If I am playing a rehersal dinner, or nice indoor gig or corporate gig I dress appropriately, otherwise {censored} it, just wear what is comfortable (of course you don't want to look like a slob)

Patrons usually comment on how good I look esp. the ladies!!HEHEHHE!(Its funny because its true)

I'm 27, I just enjoy dressing like an adult.

This is what I was wearing at that show. Not much hotter than a t-shirt and shorts would have been, linen shirt and lightweight denim, and for such a big gig, I would rather look better than be more comfortable.

DSC_0073.jpg

On the other hand, Stephen Stills played right before us, and he was wearing a Hawaiian Shirt, Khaki shorts, and sandals...So WTF do I know? :confused:

:blah:

• Members

I'll add this as well:

I might be more inclined to wear shorts somewhere if they actually made shorts for men that looked decent. The only options I've seen are way too baggy "thug life" style, Old Man golfer style, or Too short plum-smuggler style. I'm not comfortable in any of those walking down the street, I'd be even less comfortable on stage with people looking at me.

I've worn shorts before, I played basketball in High School and College. I've just never worn them as "casual wear" when I wasn't competing in something or mowing the lawn.

• Members

Sure, PM me when you've got the dates confirmed for the 12 Bar and what time you'll be on, otherwise I'm sure I (and maybe the other ToDs) will be around for one of the others. We're at the Notting Hill Arts club on June 12th (10pm) and then Macbeth on July 13th (single "launch") if you're around.

• Members

OK, how many of you guys in the "never play in shorts" camp play metal or punk?

Heck my avatar has a picture of me playing an original music punk type gig in shorts. However in the cover band we all kind of dress nice because it is appropriate for the genre and venue.

It is all about the image you are trying to present and that image needs to reflect the genre of the music you are performing.

Max

• Members

Saying that I wouldn't ever get onstage without skinny jeans or a biker jacket, I guess.

I HATE bands with coordinated clothes (wedding bands and what not - can't you each choose your own suit?).

edit: yeah I could dig that, not ashamed of anything ;)

• Members

I should have mentioned I play alot of solo/duo cover gigs, where it is common to dress comfortable.

THRIFTSHIRT: do you play daytime outdoor shows 5 or more days a week in Delray? Why are you judging if someone is an adult-or toddler- if they wear shorts or jeans? To me the name calling is pointless. Do you call guys toddlers if they are playing in shorts or is it just on the 'net?? If someone badgered me at a gig about what I was wearing there probably be an altercation.

Today I played from 1-5 here in North FL. on a rooftop gig. I wore jeans because I was going out with some friends later and didn't want to change. I sweated my ass off and the manager (who is a friend of mine) busted my balls -jokingly-for wearing jeans instead of my usual shorts/flops.

I still say wear whats appropriate and if you can wear something comfortable and look good then do it. To say someone looks like a toddler if they wear shorts, and/or a t-shirt, and/or a baseball cap is just stupid.

If you think its cool to only wear your jeans and whatever then do it, but don't bust on someone for wearing shorts.

Saying that I wouldn't ever get onstage without skinny jeans or a biker jacket, I guess

dude you live in LOndon. Do you play music in 90+ degree weather EVER and maybe you are partially in the sun for some of the gig?? of course not !!

Archived