Wearing shorts at a gig? OK or not?

• Members

I'm in the NO SHORTS camp, not even when I used to play at the beach back east, just can't do it. I rarely wear shorts at all anyways, so it's not like I have to make a consession to not wear them onstage. I think it really wrecks any bands image, even Island styled bands, there is this material called linen, it looks summery and flowy and breathes like it's no-ones business, that should be the uniform for a beach band. The image of taht kid is what comes to mind when I see grown men onstage wearing shorts, just does't add up.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sometimes I wear shorts, sometimes I wear jeans. Depends on the AC capacity of the venue.

I'm also a drummer and nobody cares what we look like from the waist down!

Hell, when I walk through the club on break, most people don't even know I'm in the band!

• Members

It's all right if you're a drummer I guess. Or Angus Young. :D

Only time I think I've ever worn shorts at a gig, it was an outdoor gig on a 90+ degree day in some little town in Nowheresville, Georgia... I wore overall shorts. :D Fit right in with the locals I guess.

• Members

Hate shorts at gigs. Will NEVER do that. I am getting paid and I always go out of my way to look like I deserve to be onstage. I hate seeing bands on stage that look like they just got off of work at thier day job to go to a gig and not give a {censored} what they look like. I have a whole closet full of clothes that are pretty much reserved for playing out in. I look forward to going shopping and finding cool stuff to wear out. That pretty much is my philosophy when I go out to see other bands as well.

• Members

I live in the mojave, still no shorts on stage. Had our first triple digit day (officially) today and tomorrow I play a pool party, probably wear swim trunks for the setup, then a quick dip and onto the pants for the gig.

• Members

We do alot of daylight hour "concert in the park" stuff during the summer - and do the "tacky hawiian" thing for those gigs. We consider shorts OK for those gigs. Typically kahkis shorts worn with deck shoes. Club work is either "snappy casual" (i.e., kahkis, dress pants - dress shirts, etc.) for the more upscale joints - and "casual casual" (i.e, jeans and t's) for the "divey-er" joints. Private party stuff all depends of the gig - and can range from tuxes to theme wardrode depending on what the gig is for. Dressing for band gigs is like dressing for work ... you put on whatever the uniform de jour is.

• Members

Play an outdoor gig in south Florida in the summer and I bet you will be in shorts, or you won't gig outdoors much. When I played beach bar gigs it was boardshorts,sandals and baseball hat.

Just depends where you are playing and the venue.

Those linen type pants that were mentined are what the tourists usually wear down here.... They get wrinkly and if you sweat alot (I do) they look like a wet t-shirt contest down under!!!

• Members

I don't. I could I guess, but they're just not my thing. And I have ugly legs. And they're mostly worn by the under 30 set (the huge baggy ones) or real nerdy looking types (the khaki ones). I'm neither. I hope. :rolleyes:

I wear T-shirts though. Not all the time, but in clubs where it's common to see them. I kinda look around and dress as the room does.

• Members

Is that a Lewis D'jango mandolin
:love:

No, it's a GREAT mando, but not quite a Michael Lewis!

It's a Draleon Royale... (with cheese)... a new company, started last summer by a former Eastman designer. Based on a combo of the Selmer/Maccaferri and the Gibson L5... carved top and back, and without a doubt, the finest sounding mandolin I've ever heard (not a bluegrass machine, though, which is fine with me). HUGE, full tone, and sustain for days... and stunningly beautiful... as are the guitars (which I haven't heard yet)

In the interest of full disclosure, I don't work for Draleon, but I am in the process of creating their website... "Will work for mandolin or bass". :D

• Members

Play an outdoor gig in south Florida in the summer and I bet you will be in shorts, or you won't gig outdoors much. When I played beach bar gigs it was boardshorts,sandals and baseball hat.

Those linen type pants that were mentined are what the tourists usually wear down here.... They get wrinkly and if you sweat alot (I do) they look like a wet t-shirt contest down under!!!

I live in South Florida, and I wouldn't be caught dead in shorts at a gig. And I've played outdoor gigs. We just played Sunfest a few weeks ago, and I was in jeans and a long sleeve button down shirt.

I drive around in my car with a broken AC unit in jeans most of the time.

IMHO, shorts are for little boys, athletes, and swimming. There's a reason they called them "short pants" until about 40 years ago, and men didn't wear them after they turned 13 or so.

It depresses me that I see so many grown men walking around dressed like giant toddlers: sneakers, shorts, pullover shirt, baseball hat. It depresses me even more when I see "professional" musicians dressed the same way.

• Members

I live in South Florida, and I wouldn't be caught dead in shorts at a gig. And I've played outdoor gigs. We just played Sunfest a few weeks ago, and I was in jeans and a long sleeve button down shirt.

IMHO, shorts are for little boys, athletes, and swimming. There's a reason they called them "short pants" until about 40 years ago, and men didn't wear them after they turned 13 or so.

It depresses me that I see so many grown men walking around dressed like giant toddlers: sneakers, shorts, pullover shirt, baseball hat. It depresses me even more when I see "professional" musicians dressed the same way.

I'm with you - I've not worn shorts in 40 years. I live in Florida and am a Blue Jeans kinda guy. I'm a Painter and a lot of the dudes wear shorts - not me - long "whites"... I am 2nd generation Italian and my Father wasn't a "short-pants" type. Wearing them while gigging would be a sin - what's next Lipstick?

• Members

I've played many a beach gig in MD with 95 degrees and 95-100% humidity,no tent or shade covering us, still no shorts. Linen pants should be a part of your wardrobe if you liv in tese hotter states, an because they breath should not allow you to sweat that mch, unless you have some kind of glandular issue...... or perhaps your choice of underwear is not appropriate? I used to wear leather jean-cut pants (all year round, baby) and I certainly know a little something about the boys getting soggy, but never in anything that is considered a 'summer' fabric.....

• Members

I've played shows here in North Florida where I've been asked by the organizers to wear shorts/hawaiian shirt. I don't consider it tacky at all to follow orders. If you pay me enough money, I'll show up in lederhosen or a batman costume if that's what you want.

Just don't ask me to play any Olivia Newton John covers. A man's got to draw the line somewhere... ;)

~Blackbelt

• Members

Real men wear whatever they damn well please. :mad::D

Archived