Things people say to musicians that they should'nt

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
"Y'all cant stop now we just got here" said at a race after we had played for 3 hours straight, with no breaks and had just finished a 20 minute improv jam where i had played lead for 15 minutes.(felt like telling them "well next time run a little faster")

"Can you guys play something everyone knows, like Toad and the Wet Sprocket?" right after we had finished Johnny B Goode, and was said in total sincerity

"wow did you guys write that?!" also after Johnny B Goode

"can you guys do bluegrass?" after we had finished a pretty heavy original called Doom

and my personal favorite....

"sluur bhadkd ma flishnfing? sluur bhadkd ma flishnfing! ("what?!")
sluur bhadkd ma flishnfing!!!!!!!
( then proceeds to fall down and dump beer on himself. Thank you for coming out Mr Sloppy Drunk Man, please do come again!

This one just happened Friday:

Couple comes in during last song and we go on break

"Do you guys play anything else besides that hard rock?"

....We had just finished Mr. Magic :D

For those of you that don't know, "Mr. Magic" is the Mustang Sally of jazz :D

• Members

I hear people lie and say this to bands all the time.

No matter how horribly crappy the band is there are at least a few people saying "You guys were awsome tonight".

Gee thanks for giving the ego to the idiots that have absolutely no talent to go with it.

One thing I'll never understand that BANDS do in reply to the "You guys were awesome" comment is reply with a "Oh Man, we were AWFUL tonight" or some "messed up so badly" derivative. Why do bands sell themselves down the river like that?

Keep your personal criticisms and insecurities to yourself after a gig, thank the person for their kind words and sell 'em a CD for cryin' out loud.

• Members
One thing I'll never understand that BANDS do in reply to the "You guys were awesome" comment is reply with a "Oh Man, we were AWFUL tonight" or some "messed up so badly" derivative. Why do bands sell themselves down the river like that?

Keep your personal criticisms and insecurities to yourself after a gig, thank the person for their kind words and sell 'em a CD for cryin' out loud.

Pushing for compliments and self-esteem --- oldest trick in the book :D

• Members
When we are madly scurrying about trying to get a replacement for a blown mains amp, broken kick drum pedal, or amp that fell off the truck:

"Can't you just play without it?"

whew - played a block party at my neighborhood over the weekend. Bass player's amp quit working. Switched to an aux input and got another couple songs out of it - then dead again. So I ran home and grabbed my keyboard amp (I play drums in this band, keys in another). and we continued along. If we had been playing out somewhere we would have been hosed. So now the bass player is thinking he needs to bring a spare. Which probably isn't so bad an idear.

• Members
:facepalm: LOL - I almost just spit all over my keyboard on that one!!

"I noticed your wife checking out my package....by chance, does she take it in the pooper?"

Ooops -- that should be in the "Things musicians say to people that they shouldn't" thread

• Members

Oh - the host of our block party that we played on Sat, who is a good friend of mine btw - actually asked me if we had any control over the volume? She was worried that the neighbors who did not attend the party might call to complain about the noise. Now - we are a blues / rock band playing pretty mild music, not AC/DC or Metallica or anything. Also we were starting at like 5 and finishing by 8:30 or 9pm. She was worried that she didn't have a permit for live music at the block party. Which is legitimate. But the irony was after the band finished there was a ~30min illegal fireworks display. Now - I would be a lot more worried about THAT if it were me!! haha.

Oh - btw - a police captain lives in the neighborhood and attended the party. I think we were pretty much all good if an officer rolled up on either issue. Of course - none did. We are way back in a quiet area.

• Members

Oh - the host of our block party that we played on Sat, who is a good friend of mine btw - actually asked me if we had any control over the volume? She was worried that the neighbors who did not attend the party might call to complain about the noise. Now - we are a blues / rock band playing pretty mild music, not AC/DC or Metallica or anything. Also we were starting at like 5 and finishing by 8:30 or 9pm. She was worried that she didn't have a permit for live music at the block party. Which is legitimate. But the irony was after the band finished there was a ~30min illegal fireworks display. Now - I would be a lot more worried about THAT if it were me!! haha.

Oh - btw - a police captain lives in the neighborhood and attended the party. I think we were pretty much all good if an officer rolled up on either issue. Of course - none did. We are way back in a quiet area.

We did a block party thing this weekend too. Hosted by three homeowners who live on an inverted "cul-de-sac" (which meant their back yards all converged to form one large common area). Nice neighborhood, large lots, (translate $$$), tons of food, tons of drink, 350+ people. Music was going strong at 11:30 ... when the cops showed. Were told that we didn't have to quit - but that it had to come WAY down. We did another 40 minutes of material (our standard rock/dance/party stuff) at miniscule "lounge band" volume (crowd noise was WAY louder than we were.)

Truth be told - it was the most fun I had all night. Every tune took on a completely different feel at the "Elmer Fudd ... Shhhh...we're hunting wabbits!" volume we were playing at. Afterwards, I got to thinking...damn, if that wasn't the first time I wasn't a little bummed the cops didn't show up a little earlier!

• Members
Pushing for compliments and self-esteem --- oldest trick in the book
:D

I don't think that is where it comes from. I think it is an embarrassment thing. I actually had the urge to say it the other night after a gig, because we had played kind of poorly and you just almost want to acknowledge it, as if to say - we are usually better - we are better than what you saw tonight - but it's really stupid and so of course I did not say it.

I'll never forget the time a few years back that a fellow musician said something down to me about his band on a break - and how bad I thought it looked.

The recent gig in question, we had lot of things go wrong, no monitors for the whole first set, had an off night, all kinds of stuff - oh well. We had a huge crowd, tons of people telling us that we were awesome, made decent tips and the club owners raved and paid us an extra hundred bucks. How often does that happen? Gee I guess we really stunk huh? lol

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Wow, old thread. Oh well, think I'll share this one:

On New Year's Eve, as the band finished up its last set and we started to pack up, my wife approached the stage. I gave her a kiss and wished her a Happy New Year. A woman that was really drunk (and very unattractive) had been dancing with her and my other friend earlier in the evening.

Right after she watched us kiss, she tells me, "I'd {censored} you right now, but your wife is right here." My wife mishears this (barely out of earshot) as "hug" instead of "{censored}," so she responds, "You can hug him!" :facepalm::lol:

And then the woman mysteriously disappeared after that, as my wife looked for her. :D

• Members

Wow, old thread. Oh well, think I'll share this one:

On New Year's Eve, as the band finished up its last set and we started to pack up, my wife approached the stage. I gave her a kiss and wished her a Happy New Year. A woman that was really drunk (and very unattractive) had been dancing with her and my other friend earlier in the evening.

Right after she watched us kiss, she tells me, "I'd {censored} you right now, but your wife is right here." My wife mishears this (barely out of earshot) as "hug" instead of "{censored}," so she responds, "You can hug him!"
:facepalm::lol:

And then the woman mysteriously disappeared after that, as my wife looked for her.
:D

:thu::lol:

• Members

Old thread indeed. Here's a couple.

Typically from other musicians:

"Dude, why do you use all of that electronic stuff, ain't that like cheatin' or somethin'"?

Our entire band is electronic. V-Drums, guitar modeler, 2 keyboards, laptop, etc. For some reason because we use loops and sequences sometimes, there are a few musicians that think we're not "keepin' it real" because we don't have huge Marshall stacks, a bass guitar, and dueling 26" inch kick drums. Ugh.

Also, the other night I had an old friend that I hadn't seen in years walk up to me and say, "wow, you've gotten a lot better". I know it was meant as a compliment but it just struck me the wrong way.

• Members

Our entire band is electronic. V-Drums, guitar modeler, 2 keyboards, laptop, etc. For some reason because we use loops and sequences sometimes, there are a few musicians that think we're not "keepin' it real" because we don't have huge Marshall stacks, a bass guitar, and dueling 26" inch kick drums. Ugh.

People hear with their eyes.

:facepalm:

• Members
Also, the other night I had an old friend that I hadn't seen in years walk up to me and say, "wow, you've gotten a lot better". I know it was meant as a compliment but it just struck me the wrong way.

I had a bandmate tell me a couple of weeks ago that "You used to suck, but now you don't," and that he's had a few people tell him that, also. :o I felt sorry for him because he was forced to play with such a sucky musician all these years. :lol:

• Members

"We have a PA"..................bar owner with a 4 channel, 100 watt powered mixer and two blown 12" speakers.

I can top that: Coffee shop gig - me playing solo guitar. Booker said, "The venue has their own PA; leave yours at home."

The PA: http://www.zzounds.com/productreview--ROLMA8

No, I'm not kidding. Fortunately, the audience was very attentive.

• Members

I can top that: Coffee shop gig - me playing solo guitar. Booker said, "The venue has their own PA; leave yours at home."

The PA:

No, I'm not kidding. Fortunately, the audience was very attentive.

Hmmm.

Was it a big coffee house?

Because most acoustic gigs I've seen at those joints didn't need any electricity. Just voice and guitar should be enough.

Just sayin'.

Archived