Things people say to musicians that they should'nt

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"Play something normal!" (shouted by a group of little kids at an outdoor concert)

"Is that a real song or did you write it?" (credit Jack Lawrence)

"Hey guys, why don't we try one of my songs?" (when said by the drummer)

EDIT: One thing people say all the time that really rubs me the wrong way:

"You guys looked like you were having fun up there."

Anyone else get this? I know it's meant to be some sort of compliment, but I'd rather if they said "You guys played some really good music up there."

• Members

Hmmm.

Was it a big coffee house?

Because most acoustic gigs I've seen at those joints didn't need any electricity. Just voice and guitar should be enough.

Just sayin'.

Pretty big for a coffeehouse, yeah. Maybe 30 by 40 feet. High ceilings. And it wasn't a singer/songwriter gig. Solo improv guitar. Electric.

• Members

Pretty big for a coffeehouse, yeah. Maybe 30 by 40 feet. High ceilings. And it wasn't a singer/songwriter gig. Solo improv guitar. Electric.

Ah. Yeah, it's kinda hard to sing over an electric guitar without some kind of amplification. Ever considered running your vox through your guitar amp? Would work in a pinch, and all you'd need would be a small mixer.

• Members

"Dude, let me see yer mic!" Uttered by some drunk guy that wants to give his buddy a shout-out for his birthday. "No, I don't want your drunken slobber all over my $800 mic. I have to sing through that all night".

"Hey, you should hire me to sing backups for you guys. I'm really good." Said by a drunk chick between sets. "Sure, we wouldn't mind splitting the $$ one extra way...so, do you help haul gear as well?...that's what I thought".

"Hey, do you guys know that one song by that guy with long, dark hair? He was just on T.V. a few nights ago"...

"Play something we can two-step to!" By a drunk cowboy. We are a classic rock band, and don't play ANY country.

• Members

Last week had a guy come up to me (keyboards) and asked for American Pie. I told him to fill the tip jar to the top with bills. He said come on man I want to hear it. I told him he won the award for the dumbest ass request ever made. He laughed and said thanks because that was what he wanted to hear me say and walked away happy.

• Members

Anyone else get this? I know it's meant to be some sort of compliment, but I'd rather if they said "You guys played some really good music up there."

It's usually said in place of a compliment when you cant think of anything else nice to say.

IE - when a mate asks you what you thought of his band and they are beyond terrible - but you dont want to hurt his feelings. You'd say "you guys looked like you were having a great time up there". or something similar.

• Members

Most people don't know squat about music, but they can recognize fun when they see it.

Personally, I take it with a grain of salt when a non-musician complements me on my musicianship. I will thank them graciously, but don't really take anything they say on the subject seriously. Now, if they say they had fun, then I'm happy 'cause it's Mission Accomplished!

• Members

The first 2 are my favorites. They come from my parents: "I say you don't need anything else until you start making money with your music" :facepalm:

"If yours works fine, why do you need another one?" :mad:

Misc.
"Do yall play anything that doesn't scream?"
"Why does he scream in every song?"
"Does he have to scream so loud?"
YES!

"Can yall turn down a little bit?"
"OK, That was perfect, can yall just move your equipment about 10ft forward? - Eventually we were in damp grass in pitch black darkness; my dad was taking pics with some sort of uber flash on. Thought I was going to have seizure.

1/2 of the band: "As long as we look cool doing it and people like watching us, I don't care how we sound"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ fml :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

At that point I realized why we only got shows playing in the grass at people's "HOUSE" parties. :facepalm:

• Members

Last week had a guy come up to me (keyboards) and asked for American Pie. I told him to fill the tip jar to the top with bills. He said come on man I want to hear it. I told him he won the award for the dumbest ass request ever made. He laughed and said thanks because that was what he wanted to hear me say and walked away happy.

Okay, he made a request, you insulted him, and he walked away happy?

• Members

It seems sort of negative to take it that way, when I hear that it doesn't seem any better or worse than "You guys did a good job"

And for that matter, saying something like "You guys played some really good music up there." could also be taken the wrong way by somebody with low self esteem, like "Gee, they said we played really good music but didn't say we played it well. I guess we suck"

:lol:

Now that I think about it there is very little I can hear any more that can rub me the wrong way since I tend to not put much stock in what people say any more. They vote with their presence or lack thereof.

• Members

If they're talking to you at all, that's a good thing. Drunks say the damnedest things anyway, so I just humor em all and move on to whatever it was I was looking to do.

That's the best advice. Smile, nod, and do whatever you were going to do anyway.

"Yeah, yeah, man. Have it tattooed on your arm and come back and show me later." -- Jerry Garcia

• Members

That's the best advice. Smile, nod, and do whatever you were going to do anyway.

"Yeah, yeah, man. Have it tattooed on your arm and come back and show me later." -- Jerry Garcia

back in highschool my ska band was playing a midday show in a downtown festival when some fellow stumbled by and started yelling "Play some blues! play some f***ing BLOOOZ!" We just suggested it was perhaps a bit early to be so drunk, and went back to our setlist. It was actually the most memorable part of a pretty boring and under promoted show.

A week before at a huge all day battle of the bands our harder punk/hardcore/metalish/etc band opened while our ska band closed. After our first set some middle school girls came up to us and said

"we didn't like your music, it was too angry. You should play happier music."

"Well then you might like our ska band that's playing later!"

"We wont be here."

Refreshingly blunt.

• Members

I used to get some real winners around the Portland, OR area. One Friday we were in a place that was trying us out for the first time. It had a little bit of a rough clientele. They even kind of liked to intimidate you for sport. I was setting up my stuff, and this guy comes over to me and says: " I know already you guys aren't going to go over in this place. Because your guitars are too clean."

It just occurred to me that there's a comeback. "Oh, they won't be by the end of the night." Dang!

Archived