Question for those with female band members and play out

• Members

Our variety band has one female singer (along with a male singer who is the leader). All the guys move and set up the equipment including the P.A.

I don't expect her to schlep heavy equipment (there are some things most girls just aren't good at). But, when the gig is over.....she bolts.

The rest of us are there tearing down and moving the stuff.

I think she should at least help with rolling up cables (which would be a big help) and stay to the end when we're finally leaving the venue.

Since she basically just has to show up and sing...and then decides to leave right after the gig, why should she get the same amount of $$$$ as the rest of us? I'm thinking if the rest of us make $125, she should only get something like $100 if she's not going to help out.

She's an OK singer.....decent, but has a tendency to sing flat some times. If she was exceptional , I would tend to let it slide.

Here's something.....the other singer wants to play a freebie at a large outdoor event mainly for the exposure (we mainly play parties and weddings....not in bars) to get gigs. When we were voting on it, she said "I'm OK with it...all I basically have to do is show up for the gig and sing".

The singer wants to just not tell her she's getting less...letting her think we're all getting the same amount.

Comments? :confused:

GPF

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Every band I have worked in that had a female singer, they stayed and helped with loading.

Look at it this way - professionals pay roadies to haul stuff so they don't have to.

You should all take a cut of her pay for roadie duties. If she complains then tell her she has to either share the workload or share her pay. It's not fair to the others to do her work.

• Members

Every band I have been in pretty much agrees with me when I say "I'll play for free but I get paid to set up and tear down." IMO if she isn't putting in a fair share of the work when setting up and tearing down then she does not deserve the same pay. We have a female singer that always jumps in and starts rolling cables, tearing down mic stands, etc... and is always there until the end with the rest of us; she gets equal pay and respect for that!

• Members

But, when the gig is over.....she bolts.

GPF

Doesn't matter if it's a he or a she; anyone that just bolts when the gig is over needs a talkin' to. Anyway you normally handle band issues; group talk or one on one, just let them know this is a pretty {censored}ty thing to do to your bandmates.

The singer wants to just not tell her she's getting less...letting her think we're all getting the same amount.

Ugh, don't even start down that route. Get this in the open right away and work it out!

• Members

I agree, has nothing to do with her gender. She's either lazy, or ignorant (doesn't understand).. you need to TALK to her about it first, then start deducting her pay if she persists. Give her the benefit of the doubt though, some people are so caught up in the gig that they just don't realize things like that, and never take the time to think about it.

She's an OK singer.....decent, but has a tendency to sing flat some times. If she was exceptional , I would tend to let it slide.

This I take exception to.. as if someone's skill level makes them immune from the same level of work everyone else has to do. Would you pay that person extra too? I didn't think so.

• Members

I agree, has nothing to do with her gender. She's either lazy, or ignorant (doesn't understand).. you need to TALK to her about it first, then start deducting her pay if she persists. Give her the benefit of the doubt though, some people are so caught up in the gig that they just don't realize things like that, and never take the time to think about it.

This I take exception to.. as if someone's skill level makes them immune from the same level of work everyone else has to do. Would you pay that person extra too? I didn't think so.

I agree with all of this. A band should be a team, everyone should be getting their hands dirty breaking down and setting up.

• Members

+1 to all of the above.

As a first step, just be friendly about asking her to help out. No need to create drama and treat the situation as confrontational. Just tell her the band would appreciate it if she helped and leave it at that.

If after a couple of gigs she doesn't help, then consider letting her know the band members who spend extra time and effort setting up and tearing down will get compensated for it. Be up front about it.

• Members

+1 to all of the above.

As a first step, just be friendly about asking her to help out. No need to create drama and treat the situation as confrontational. Just tell her the band would appreciate it if she helped and leave it at that.

If after a couple of gigs she doesn't help, then consider letting her know the band members who spend extra time and effort setting up and tearing down will get compensated for it. Be up front about it.

:thu: All this. Agree, start out friendly. She may even not be familiar enough with how things go together or come apart and needs to be taught what contributions she CAN make. She may be afraid of breaking something.

My band used to have a female singer who, if nothing else, at least hung around and helped carry what she could; guitars, small bags, like pedal/cable bags, watched the stuff already in the vehicles while we went inside for more...etc. She needed direction, especially in the begining, but at least had the where-with-all to ask, "what can I do to help ?"

• Members

Since we travel heavy, everybody in our band schlepps, without exception. We have four women and four men and the women help with everything. At our last gig I was coiling a snake when I looked up to see one of the girls--OK she's got a son in college so she's no longer a girl--grabbing a monitor in each hand and headed for the trailer while two others were pushing a grand piano off stage towards the loading ramp! The fourth was carrying the drummer's snare and hi-hat followed by the drummer with his bass drum. We cleared the stage, packed the trailer, and were on the road in twenty-five minutes. At the other end--our church--we had to load in again and set up everything for the next day's morning worship--total time from the last song to pulling away from the church--1 hour, 32 minutes. But you can only do it if everybody cooperates together.

• Moderators

Sounds like she's an opportunist. Nobody's mentioned anything so she's OK with that. Some of us wouldn't be OK with that but... we're not all made the same.

Mention it and it'll probably be a non issue. Don't corner her out of wanting payback. Let her out of the corner so to speak.

"We realize it might not be obvious that your help is welcomed and needed, but it is. We'd like to show you how the cables need to be wrapped and stored and have you in charge of that along with anything else you might lend a hand at barring any heavy lifting."

She'll probably plead innocent. Let her. Big deal, the jig is up. Lend a hand.

• Members

At the end of your next gig, I'd say something like 'Where do you think you're going' as she is leaving. More half jokingly rather than serious and accusing.

Then throw her some cables or a mic or two for her to tidy away.

• Members

I'm thinking if the rest of us make $125, she should only get something like $100 if she's not going to help out.

Tell the exactly that but let her know it is her choice. Leaving early or getting paid to help, it's up to her. And whatever she chooses, you all have to be alright with it and move on.

• Members

Maybe she doesn't know what to do. Give her some tasks and see what she does.

Reality is, just by being female she's probably helping you get gigs. I wouldn't start adjusting pay based on flat notes. Dishing out pay when the work is done is a good suggestion that may help motivate her.

• Members

Well said. I'm the female in our band, guitar player, I load in and out as much as everyone else. We do that whole "team" thing and get it done.

• Members

I think this is a lame singer problem and not a female thing.

Max

Yep. They don't call it LSD (Lead Singers Disease) for nothing. :D

One singer I worked with always managed to have some "Emergency" before every gig that prevented him from getting there until about 5 minutes before start time. :rolleyes:

• Members

Well said. I'm the female in our band, guitar player, I load in and out as much as everyone else. We do that whole "team" thing and get it done.

Yeah, I play out a lot with Valerie, and she hauls as much PA and gear as any guys I've played with, and she's usually wearing 3" heels!

• Members

Thanks for all the relies. :thu:

I never meant this to be a male vs. female thing.

I just said most girls can't move HEAVY equipment.They just can't. We weren't fortunate to hire one that works out and can bench anything over 5 lbs. I have worked with a killer girl drummer who took care of all her equipment and totally helped. (In fact, she won the local drum contest here around 1982 where Carmine Appice was one of the judges.)

And around here, it's hard to find really good singers for the material we play.

Most audiences focus on how good the singer is. Look at American Idol...it's only about singers to the public (unfortunately). And with a great singer, you get asked back. That's why I said I wouldn't mind if an exceptional singer bolted. I would prefer they help, but I wouldn't whine about it.

She doesn't help with the bookings, so there's no advantage there.

I will pass these comments on to the leader....I guess the next gig he should just flat out ask her to roll cables.

Thanks for all the comments. :)

(More appreciated!)

• Members

The female singer in the band I play drums for helps carry everything, including the heaviest pieces and she's probably not more than 120 pounds herself. Last night, we moved an entire PA into her basement...just me and her. She's a lot stronger than she looks. Together we moved 5 foot tall PA columns out of our cars and down a flight of steps into her basement.

The two female singers in my Motown band always help too. They show up to the gig in jeans and sneakers to help load in. Then they change into their heels and dresses while I run all the cables and plug in all the mics. After the gig, they change back into their jeans while I wrap up all the cables and then help load out when I have everything rolled up and ready to load. I've seen them carry a monitor in each hand.

• Members

I agree, it's not a gender issue, or even a singer issue. The laziest bandmate I ever worked with was a keyboard player who would always show up late to unload the trailer. We would specifically say we're meeting in front of the club at 7 or whatever...he would pull in around 7:20 or so, usually just after the rest of us had unloaded the last piece of gear from the trailer. And it wasn't traffic or anything like that. He almost always had stopped at a drive-thru to get some food on the way. :mad: We had to have a come-to-Jesus meeting with him and explain that load-in and load-out is done by EVERYBODY. Period.

I'm willing to bet the singer the OP is talking about has been allowed to slide on the grunt work in the past and just takes it as a given that she shouldn't be expected to do it. Good luck helping her see the light. Like you said, if she can just help roll cables, that's very helpful.

• Members

You need to be careful here now. You don't want to create animosity becuase once that seed is sown, it's pretty hard to keep it from growing. A little diplomacy is in order. I'd suggest you come at it from a different angle than "you ain't keeping up your end of the bargain sister!" Appeal to her desire to be "one of the guys" so to speak. Suggest that when she takes off after a gig it kills the "band vibe" and you guys would love it if she'd hang around and shoot the {censored} and so forth and "maybe you can give us a hand packing up too!" Might be sorta transparent but at least it doesn't sound antagonistic. Who knows, maybe she takes off becuase she is sensing a vibe that you guys don't want her around - maybe she thinks shes in the way...

Archived