And then...depression set in

flemtone

• Members

Well, I DO know a lot of pilots with jacked-up egos. I think thoses types are drawn to the profession. Adreneline rush and all that.

Not a guy I would want to get in a plane with though, THAT'S for sure!

Why ,, its not like you know {censored} about flying. that thread looked more like he was messin with you guys ego more than anything else. Do pilots have egos ,, hell yes. Big ego , big watch , big wallet and big mouths.. But the bottom line is they aint stupid ,, because you cant be and still be alive to run your pie hole. Trust me , I know more pilots that you could ever know. I sold my house to this eye surgeon. He was saying if he screwed up , he could blind you. I just laughed and said i was a pilot ,, if screwed up , I could kill everyone in the plane and some on the ground, but if the pointy end gets there safe the people in the back make it there too. we are sick fuks in a lot of ways ,,, so jerkin some way too serious musicians chain can be fun. I dont think he thinks he is that great a guitar player. I would guess he is pretty good for the short amount of time he has been playing. lighten up frances lol.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Scary to think this guy is a jet-rated pilot.

Not really ,,, I know a united capt that hit on this 6 foot chick that came into a bar with a midget ,,,,, Funniest god damb thing I ever saw. He was 6 foot 3 and the midget was like 4 foot ,,,, i was betting on the midget because he has a long neck that he was getting ready to give the capt some eye surgery with. Pilot are pretty craZEY... BUT THEY CAN FLY.

• Members

Not really ,,, I know a united capt that hit on this 6 foot chick that came into a bar with a midget ,,,,, Funniest god damb thing I ever saw. He was 6 foot 3 and the midget was like 4 foot ,,,, i was betting on the midget because he has a long neck that he was getting ready to give the capt some eye surgery with. Pilot are pretty craZEY... BUT THEY CAN FLY.

My Dad was an F-4 pilot during 'Nam, and he later owned a Stearman and a Skybolt, and he isn't crazy. :poke:

• Members

Rhat , did you watch Michael Moores "Capatalism a love story" He says in there that pilots don't get paid jack{censored} any more. Too many people willing to fly planes for very little money. IIRC starting pay was around $20,000.00. I think he makes the comment that a taco bell manager gets paid better than someone who you are trusting with your life. Sounds alot like playing in a band. Too many nippleheads willing to play for free or little money.

• Members

Rhat , did you watch Michael Moores "Capatalism a love story" He says in there that pilots don't get paid jack{censored} any more. Too many people willing to fly planes for very little money. IIRC starting pay was around $20,000.00. I think he makes the comment that a taco bell manager gets paid better than someone who you are trusting with your life. Sounds alot like playing in a band. Too many nippleheads willing to play for free or little money.

in alot of ways its alot like music ,, tons of guys wanting in to the game ,, very few make it past the bottom rung of the ladder. If music were aviation , you would be at the total bottom of the ladder. Those are the guys that have day jobs because they cant get a job good enough to live on. Everyone in aviation starts with day jobs and work part time ,, the good pilots end up with full time jobs flying nice equipment. To make decent money in aviation you have to make capt. You can get any slack jaw moron to fly co pilot. To fly capt on a jet or turbo prop or even a piston engine twin on charter takes an atp ,,, that is the highest level of pilots certificate they issue. In flying ,, pay is all about being able to get insured to haul around million dollar babies. flying for cheap is only done to get qualified and insurable in planes and upgrading to capt. Moore is a dumb ass who happens to have figured out that he can produce cheap shot movies and suck morons in. If you had a job in aviation you would be workin on the blue water crew. One thing for sure ,, flying airplanes for a living sure as hell beats running a nail gun at 50years old. Like i said before ,, you can work smarter or you can work harder. Its not an easy career,,, and its alot of work to position yourself to make a living at it.. it was a challenge and I am glad that I was one of the guys who wore the 4 stripes and sat in the left seat. I was willing to earn the right to hold that left seat... and so was guitarflyer. Hope i cleared things up for you there groundpounder.

• Members

Yeah, that's what it seems like.

That disclaimer changes the perspective on things doesn't it?

In fact, for a guy his age I'd say he's progressed pretty well on guitar in that amount of time. He pushes the envelope of what he is capable of more than some would, but again - really not too bad considering the amount of time he's invested at a late age.

That said: in my opinion he'd be much better served working on rhythm fundamentals and technique fundamentals. Jumping right into lead guitar when you have issues with timing and technique is not the right way to go.

Yeah, I figured him at about a 3-year player. Not at all bad for only playing that long. But again, it was all the talk that got him in trouble. Saying he was better than the likes of Pat, and all the talk of people coming up to him at gigs at treating him like he was a guitar God. Just amazing that a guy that's got to be at least 40 could be THAT clueless.

And you're exactly right. Learn to play some rhythm and learn the fundamentals first. Otherwise anything else you learn is completely wasted. Like a great BBQ sauce on badly cooked meat. It ends up being pointless.

• Members

Why ,, its not like you know {censored} about flying. that thread looked more like he was messin with you guys ego more than anything else. Do pilots have egos ,, hell yes. Big ego , big watch , big wallet and big mouths.. But the bottom line is they aint stupid ,, because you cant be and still be alive to run your pie hole. Trust me , I know more pilots that you could ever know. I sold my house to this eye surgeon. He was saying if he screwed up , he could blind you. I just laughed and said i was a pilot ,, if screwed up , I could kill everyone in the plane and some on the ground, but if the pointy end gets there safe the people in the back make it there too. we are sick fuks in a lot of ways ,,, so jerkin some way too serious musicians chain can be fun. I dont think he thinks he is that great a guitar player. I would guess he is pretty good for the short amount of time he has been playing. lighten up frances lol.

Then why the videos on his personal website? Why all the talk of being the greatest guitar player ever?

He wasn't jerking us. He was sadly only jerking himself.

Just because the egotistical asshole thing might have gotten him by as a pilot doesn't mean he wasn't in way over his head when it comes to playing guitar. In fact, probably just the opposite: he figured he "mastered" being a pilot so playing guitar would be a cakewalk. That's what having too big an ego will get you.

• Members

Yeah, I figured him at about a 3-year player. Not at all bad for only playing that long. But again, it was all the talk that got him in trouble. Saying he was better than the likes of Pat, and all the talk of people coming up to him at gigs at treating him like he was a guitar God. Just amazing that a guy that's got to be at least 40 could be THAT clueless.

And you're exactly right. Learn to play some rhythm and learn the fundamentals first. Otherwise anything else you learn is completely wasted. Like a great BBQ sauce on badly cooked meat. It ends up being pointless.

guido ,, the guy was jerkin you guys chain for the hell of it,, just to watch your reactions. He might not be able to play guitar that well ,, but he sure can play a guitar player ,,,, he had you guys spinning like tops. pretty funny actually.

• Members
in alot of ways its alot like music ,, tons of guys wanting in to the game ,, very few make it past the bottom rung of the ladder. If music were aviation , you would be at the total bottom of the ladder. Those are the guys that have day jobs because they cant get a job good enough to live on. Everyone in aviation starts with day jobs and work part time ,, the good pilots end up with full time jobs flying nice equipment. To make decent money in aviation you have to make capt. You can get any slack jaw moron to fly co pilot. To fly capt on a jet or turbo prop or even a piston engine twin on charter takes an atp ,,, that is the highest level of pilots certificate they issue. In flying ,, pay is all about being able to get insured to haul around million dollar babies. flying for cheap is only done to get qualified and insurable in planes and upgrading to capt. Moore is a dumb ass who happens to have figured out that he can produce cheap shot movies and suck morons in. If you had a job in aviation you would be workin on the blue water crew. One thing for sure ,, flying airplanes for a living sure as hell beats running a nail gun at 50years old. Like i said before ,, you can work smarter or you can work harder. Its not an easy career,,, and its alot of work to position yourself to make a living at it.. it was a challenge and I am glad that I was one of the guys who wore the 4 stripes and sat in the left seat. I was willing to earn the right to hold that left seat... and so was guitarflyer.
Hope i cleared things up for you there groundpounder

Yep your still a dumbass. Have a safe trip.:thu:

• Members
Then why the videos on his personal website? Why all the talk of being the greatest guitar player ever?

He wasn't jerking us. He was sadly only jerking himself.

Just because the egotistical asshole thing might have gotten him by as a pilot doesn't mean he wasn't in way over his head when it comes to playing guitar. In fact, probably just the opposite: he figured he "mastered" being a pilot so playing guitar would be a cakewalk. That's what having too big an ego will get you.

NO what got him by as a pilot was starting at the bottom and workin his way up to flying corp aircraft and having the ability to win the confidence of guys who make millions of dollars a year. They trust their lives to these guys and equipment that is muli million dollar machines. trust me ,, its way harder than being a guitar player in a band. You gotta sell a gig ,, a pilot has a lot harder sell than who can make the beer flow. Unless you are in the game ,, you will never understand how hard it is to work your way up in that profession. yea it takes ego. lots of it. You also have to deliver.. or tin gets bent and people die. Its kinda out of your league to even understand it.. No fault of your own ,, most guys who havent done it as a career wont ever understand. Are we ballsy brash guys ,,, oh ya. do we think there is nothing we cant master ,, yea. It was like when the realtor told me I needed him to sell a house. Screw that ,, did it myself ,, close on friday. Piece of cake. Michigan is not exaclty a easy market these days. All it took was confidence and hard work ,, and knowing what makes the buyer tick,, and knowing how to close. :thu:

• Members

Unless you are in the game ,, you will never understand how hard it is to work your way up in that profession. yea it takes ego. lots of it. You also have to deliver.. or tin gets bent and people die. Its kinda out of your league to even understand it..

That's an awfully condescending and patronizing attitude there, Rhat.

I don't have a license, but I've had the stick on my own a few times taking off and landing in my Dad's plane.

He's got no ego...when he was chartering and doing commercial, he didn't go around telling everyone how {censored}ing cool he was, because he's a pilot.

WHen people would ask him about flying, he just kinda shrugged it off as "that's the job I do - no big deal".

So why would have that dude's back? Guitarflyer is certifiable psycho.

Do I need to send you the private message he sent me, so you can see what a social ****** this guy is, for yourself?

• Members

guido ,, the guy was jerkin you guys chain for the hell of it,, just to watch your reactions. He might not be able to play guitar that well ,, but he sure can play a guitar player ,,,, he had you guys spinning like tops. pretty funny actually.

To quote Austin, what's it like to have ESP? Or do all pilots think alike and have this "vulcan mind-meld" thing going on where you know exactly what he was doing and thinking?

Sorry, Tim, I ain't buying it. The guy was more full of {censored} than a tree full of young owls and the fun of it was how utterly clueless he was. I have no doubt he was trying to troll (and said so, post #208), but that only came after he realized how far in over his head he was. A good troll doesn't let anyone know who he is, what he does, or where he lives. That's what convinced me he truly believed everything he said.

YMMV.

• Members

That's an awfully condescending and patronizing attitude there, Rhat.

I don't have a license, but I've had the stick on my own a few times taking off and landing in my Dad's plane.

He's got no ego...when he was chartering and doing commercial, he didn't go around telling everyone how {censored}ing cool he was, because he's a pilot.

WHen people would ask him about flying, he just kinda shrugged it off as "that's the job I do - no big deal".

So why would have that dude's back? Guitarflyer is certifiable psycho.

Do I need to send you the private message he sent me, so you can see what a social ****** this guy is, for yourself?

Did he fly multi million dollar airplanes that burned jet fuel.... I have his back because I know he was just jerkin your chains because you guys were willing to jump every time he did it. No idea how high up your dad got in aviation ,, but typically the guys who get up to full time corp stuff have a pretty healthy ego ,,, its a rough ass racket with alot of competition. The shy ones dont get very far typically. i respect the guys ability to get to where he got in aviation... does he have a sick fuk sence of humor ,, oh hell yes. I guess its one of those deals where you gotta be in the club. Like i said I know alot of pilots,, good ones. Top notch major corp guys. in the cockpit they are all business ,, on the ground its wayne's world lol. I didnt see the pvt message ,,,,But it must have been a good one to get you wound up.

• Members

To quote Austin, what's it like to have ESP? Or do all pilots think alike and have this "vulcan mind-meld" thing going on where you know exactly what he was doing and thinking?

Sorry, Tim, I ain't buying it. The guy was more full of {censored} than a tree full of young owls and the fun of it was how utterly clueless he was. I have no doubt he was trying to troll (and said so, post #208), but that only came after he realized how far in over his head he was. A good troll doesn't let anyone know who he is, what he does, or where he lives. That's what convinced me he truly believed everything he said.

YMMV.

NO pat what you ran into was a master troll...... they do it right in your face and dont care if you know who they are or not. that how he sucked you guys in so far. is his guitar playing as good as yours.. na he knows that. But haveing the brass balls to get in your face like that was funny as hell. Face ,, it you took the bait and swollowed the hook. He aing clueless ,, he knew exactly what he was doing .....and it worked lol.

• Members
HE was the one who was wound up...to the point where it could have been used in court.

I was the one who laughed him off, and basically dared him to make good on his threat.

He had you going, like no one I have ever seen on here....fun to watch :thu:

• Members

lets just say ,,, while you guys were in the back of the plane ,,, the pilots up front were talking on the intercom lol.

• Members

No idea how high up your dad got in aviation ,, but typically the guys who get up to full time corp stuff have a pretty healthy ego.

He graduated first at Davis-Monthan, and was not sent to Vietnam, as a result. They didn't send their very best pilots to do grunt flying.

He was kept mostly at Yokota , except during the USS Pueblo crisis, when they sent him to S Korea to be on 15-minute alert (they slept in their T-suits) with the idea that they would be dogfighting the Russians.

After he resigned his commission, he was headhunted by NASA.

It didn't interest him.

He never bragged about his USAF status, and even now refers to it as the time "when I worked for the government".

He did a good bit of shuttling around corp execs in the early 70s, and wound up hired into upper management with one of those companies (Baxter Travenol) because he had an MBA from the University of Chicago...but like I said...it wasn't a big deal to him.

I think the fact that his oldest son is a musician gives him more of an ego boost, than anything he ever accomplished, to tell the truth.

• Members

He had you going, like no one I have ever seen on here....fun to watch
:thu:

Okay...let me set you straight, friend.

I was playing his game...giving it right back to him.

No person has ever "got to me", on the internet.

WE were the ones who had HIM going. He wanted to be treated like a cartoon character, so I gave him over-the-top retorts. We were ALL laughing at the completely pathetic nature of the thread. If you think that he, even for a split-second, had me angry or anything other than totally laughing my ass off, then maybe you just don't understand my ironic and sarcastic nature very well, because I was only giving him what he was asking for...for whatever bizzaro-world reason that might have been.

Irony and sarcasm do have a tendency to be umm..."missed", on occasion, but there was nothing ironic or sarcastic about his threatening private message - it was just chest-thumping, ill-advised, and hot headed...he just didn't know who he was messing with.

• Members

He graduated first at Davis-Monthan, and was
not
sent to Vietnam, as a result. They didn't send their very best pilots to do grunt flying.

He was kept mostly at Yokota , except during the USS Pueblo crisis, when they sent him to S Korea to be on 15-minute alert (they slept in their T-suits) with the idea that they would be dogfighting the Russians.

After he resigned his commission, he was headhunted by NASA.

It didn't interest him.

He never bragged about his USAF status, and even now refers to it as the time "when I worked for the government".

He did a good bit of shuttling around corp execs in the early 70s, and wound up hired into upper management with one of those companies (Baxter Travenol) because he had an MBA from the University of Chicago...but like I said...it wasn't a big deal to him.

I think the fact that his oldest son is a musician gives him more of an ego boost, than anything he ever accomplished, to tell the truth.

So basically he didnt stay in corp aviation ... that doesnt suprise me. Most of the top guys in that are not military pilots. civilian corp guys and military guys are like oil and water. They only last if the flight dept is headed up by someone from uncle sam's flying club. A good majority of chief pilots for major corperations are civilian trained and they do stick together. Most military guys if they stay in aviaiton go to airlines.... there was a glut of pilots after vietnam and alot tried their luck at general aviation. not very many made it.

• Members

Okay...let me set you straight, friend.

I was playing his game...giving it right back to him.

No person has
ever
"got to me", on the internet.

He wanted to be treated like a cartoon character, so I gave him over-the-top retorts. We were ALL laughing at the completely pathetic nature of the thread. If you think that he, even for a split-second, had me angry or anything other than totally laughing my ass off, then maybe you just don't understand my ironic and sarcastic nature very well, because I was only giving him what he was asking for...for whatever bizzaro-world reason that might have been. Irony and sarcasm do have a tendency to be umm..."missed", on occasion.

Jim ,, the guy has been banned for several houses and you are still going. think about it.

Archived