And then...depression set in

flemtone

• Members

So is this thread like the scene at the end of "Shawshank Redemption" where we reminisce about all the crazy things Dufresne did when he was one of us???

More like the scene at the end of the Green Mile with the mouse.

The legend of GuitarFlyer will never die.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The thread in question was getting just a
wee bit
thick with insults, threats, and personal information. I couldn't let it stay.

Our friend was actually
first
temp-banned by another moderator for his actions in another forum. I lengthened said ban for making threats. He returned as a "be-back" alt and was then issued a perma-ban. Yes, he was triple-banned in one day.

:facepalm:

I think I could be making some admonitions to a few people here about adding fuel to the fire and crossing the line a bit (not that the guy wasn't bringing it on himself), but any finger-wagging on my part would have to follow re-reading all 23 pages of that mess, and I don't think I can bring myself to do that, so I think it's just better to move on.

:p

By the way, the thread isn't deleted. It's just in a safe place.
;)

I know I crossed the line. I also saw that he stayed signed into HC for at least 45 minutes after I called him out on his private message, and he had no answer. He was obviously not expecting that. :eek:

I wouldn't mind if you brought thread back in a locked state, just simply as a warning to people who want to go all jihad on us.

• Members

What sucks is all of that rot only really happened at the very end of the thread.

Dammit man, I was hoping people would stay just on the right side of the line enough to make that thread a classic keeper.

Dude really rolled with the punches for quite a while and it was very entertaining (even for him apparently) until people started getting pissed off.

So now he's perma and we have nothing to remember him by. That makes me sad.
:cry:

Actually, the very end of the thread was me giving him his comeuppance.

He got pantsed. unfortunately, it was about 1:30am, CT.

• Members

I wouldn't mind if you brought thread back in a locked state, just simply as a warning to people who want to go all jihad on us.

That would be cool.

He'd probably want to edit out the guys web address and references to his name and his sons band.

At least give the guy the dignity of anonymity and avoid doing damage to his career, whatever may be left of it.

I've kinda got the sense that dude isn't working right now; his website showed his last employ date as 2009.

It's all fun and games online and we're having fun, but I think we should still find some empathy for a guy who may be going through some hard times.

• Members

I was actually quite impressed in the beginning of the thread, where everyone was just ignoring his little condescensions mostly because they thought he was a kid with some talent, I think. A big ego at that age is almost par for the course until someone opens your eyes. :lol: Wades gave it a good friendly go, for sure. :thu: A few of the forumites showed patience of the likes I've never seen, IMO. I was thinking to myself at the time, "WOW! This is kinder, gentler BSWTB". :lol:

Then all hell broke loose after Wades gave him a friendly but honest criticism of his playing. I will say, he surely brought it on at that point, attacking the majority of the posters in that thread personally, starting with their music skills, and branching out from there. BSWTB lost it's patience, fired it up old-skool, and created one of the finest threads of all time. That's my recap. :D

But only the moderators get to enjoy it now. :cry:

• Members

Then all hell broke loose after Wades gave him a friendly but honest criticism of his playing.

Thanks for pointing that out, because really that's what it was intended to be.

I mean for example: the fret noise - hell, I've heard our guitarist hit some clunks and I always cringe to hear that kind of stuff, but at the same time I know he hears it too and makes a conscious effort to not do that.

But this guy just didn't seem to grasp the things that he was doing wrong in his playing - not nitpicky things like he wanted to point out in my playing, but real fundamental things that were holding his playing back.

You know, there's mistakes and then there's just bad technique or something along those lines. A guy hitting a clunk every once in a blue moon, while playing tastefully otherwise, is not the same as hearing the same fundamental issues with tone, vibrato, touch and timing again and again in a variety of settings.

Dude just needs a reality check. If he's only been playing a few years, and he picked it up late in life, then he should be happy that he's were he is but grounded with a plan to progress even further by working on deficiencies.

So yeah, I was at first thinking maybe he'd come around and get real and we could chat in a normal way - because like I told him I've probably got more in common with him than many of the others on this board, being that I didn't play in any bands for almost 20 years until I started up in 2004.

• Members

So is this thread like the scene at the end of "Shawshank Redemption" where we reminisce about all the crazy things Dufresne did when he was one of us???

I'll give you a quick review.

I simply reasked the question (I guess he missed it the first time - not surprising) "how come none of the kids in that band share your last name?"

Within a few minutes, I got a private message from GF stating he made a lot of trips down my way - he had my location (which he didn't, really), my band name, and that he was going to pay me a little visit.

I replied something about my history of playing at some real Alabama roadhouses, back in the day, where the band was also expected to also be bouncers. Told him how I handled myself, even with guns and knives stuck in my face, and that if he wanted to come down and scrap, I would fix him a bbq meal and beer to have after we got done.

Then I posted the whole private message and my reply in the thread. :evil:

I imagine that blew what was left of his mind to bits.

• Members

I wouldn't mind if you brought thread back in a locked state, just simply as a warning ...

I think it should be enshrined for all to appreciate as a "sticky" !!!!! It had barely a 4 day lifespan - yet, enjoyed noteriety on multiple Harmony Central forums .... as well as a couple of honorable mentions on other boards!

• Members

Hard to believe the guy was just trolling. What? He made those videos just for the purpose of trolling? Or he KNEW they sucked, but put them up on his personal website HOPING we'd find them?

Hmmm...I think it's more likely the dude was serious and delusional. Yeah, he enjoyed pushing our buttons, to be sure. But delusional just the same.

• Members

I checked into the thread last night and saw that after a "lurker" had posted a very polite email to our boy suggesting he should start a new thread asking for a fresh start, and our boy responded with even more insults that the thread was done and he was likely to be banned very soon. Decided then to just quitely leave the thread alone and post no more.

Came back this morning and saw the fireworks that had erupted since I left and was dissappointed, but not at all surprised to see the thread gone about an hour later.

It only lasted a few days, but was good times though, my friends. Good times.

• Members

Hard to believe the guy was just trolling. What? He made those videos just for the purpose of trolling? Or he KNEW they sucked, but put them up on his personal website HOPING we'd find them?

Hmmm...I think it's more likely the dude was serious and delusional. Yeah, he enjoyed pushing our buttons, to be sure. But delusional just the same.

Scary to think this guy is a jet-rated pilot.

• Members
I checked into the thread last night and saw that after a "lurker" had posted a very polite email to our boy suggesting he should start a new thread asking for a fresh start, and our boy responded with even more insults that the thread was done and he was likely to be banned very soon. Decided then to just quitely leave the thread alone and post no more.

Came back this morning and saw the fireworks that had erupted since I left and was dissappointed, but not at all surprised to see the thread gone about an hour later.

It only lasted a few days, but was good times though, my friends. Good times.

He's updated his site, it looks like - unless I missed this the first time:

MP3s and Music Videos

Started Playing Guitar in Jan 2007

I Made Some Recordings To Check My Progress

My Current Study Is Improvised Lead Guitar Solos

All Lead Guitar Work is Original

:idea:

A little bit of - humility? Can it be? :lol:

• Members

I kind of figured he was a guy that thought he was better then he actually was. When he realized that he got very defensive. We might have been brutal but it was honest. Now that he mentions he has only been playing three years I can cut him a little slack. If he came here with the attitude of a three year player and was willing to listen things would have been a bit easier for him. My guess is he figured that this was a forum of kids just starting out. I don

• Members

Well, maybe we DID get through to him a little bit?

Maybe all that nonsense wasn't a COMPLETE waste of time after all...

Yeah, that's what it seems like.

That disclaimer changes the perspective on things doesn't it?

In fact, for a guy his age I'd say he's progressed pretty well on guitar in that amount of time. He pushes the envelope of what he is capable of more than some would, but again - really not too bad considering the amount of time he's invested at a late age.

That said: in my opinion he'd be much better served working on rhythm fundamentals and technique fundamentals. Jumping right into lead guitar when you have issues with timing and technique is not the right way to go.

Archived