And then...depression set in

flemtone

• Members
"...now He's Back In His Hole In The Land Of The Shire,

that Brave Little Hobbit Whom We All Admire,

just A-Sittin' On A Treasure Of Silver And Gold

a-Puffin' On His Pipe In His Hobbit-Hole."

LMAO! :D Leonard would be proud.

Wouldn't you know it. Our moderator doesn't miss a beat. ;)

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I think I could be making some admonitions to a few people here about adding fuel to the fire and crossing the line a bit (not that the guy wasn't bringing it on himself), but any finger-wagging on my part would have to follow re-reading all 23 pages of that mess, and I don't think I can bring myself to do that, so I think it's just better to move on.

:p

And stealth delete light hearted parody threads for no reason at all. Get over yourself dickhead.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators

Damn man. I really hate to do this, but there's no way in hell I'm going to be insulted while trying to do my job here.

If anyone has concerns or questions about why I do whatever, I welcome your PMs. I'm not going to be absused, though, that's where I draw the line. Vanlatte gets a week off.
:(

• Members

Hey, Squid, I was just trying to be funny, I swear. I apologize if it came off as anything other than that. I certainly intended no disrespect. My sense of humor is probably even harder to grasp without facial expressions. :o:)

There's no way I would/could moderate here. And, thanks again for doing it. :thu:

• Members
I don't envy you, Actionsquid. Moderating is often a no-win situation. I used to moderate a VERY active political forum. Just crazy. To whatever degree I contributed to the nonsense here, I apologize.

But sometimes....the bait is just too tempting to resist....

...and guitarflyer was a master baiter...:facepalm:

• Members

Just when I thought post #70 in the original thread couldn't be matched, he comes up with post #84 here.

The silly part is the idea that his trolling actually "got" to anyone. Like Cooter, I've never been angered by anything anyone has ever posted in an internet forum. I just don't get that invested in any of it. And this guy's trolling with the silly Star Trek stuff and insults was simply childish. No way that could anger anyone here, I would think.

And, obviously, I was wrong to think that maybe he had learned a bit of humility out of all of this. He talks of hanging with the "big boys" and "head cutting" with them. He actually thinks he is all that.

my new sig:

• Moderators

I was honestly shocked at getting such an angry response from Vanlatte. I mean, to review:

-I removed a {censored}storm of a thread full of insults and veering into personal threats, which is the kind of thing I'm put here to do.
-I banned guitarflyer, who by the way recieved- from various mods- three bans yesterday just on that account, not counting his alts. (And I "have a crush on him" for that?!)
-I removed ONE of the threads about aforementioned {censored}storm thread (one with few posts) because on a supposedly on-topic, civil forum, exactly how many threads discussing another, now removed, thread that was removed for turning ugly do we actually need?

Oh well. :idk:

Anyhow, thanks to those who "get it".

• Members
I was honestly shocked at getting such an angry response from Vanlatte. I mean, to review:

-I removed a {censored}storm of a thread full of insults and veering into personal threats, which is the kind of thing I'm put here to do.

-I banned guitarflyer, who by the way recieved- from various mods-
three
bans yesterday
just on that account
, not counting his alts. (And I "have a crush on him" for that?!)

-I removed ONE of the threads about aforementioned {censored}storm thread (one with few posts) because on a supposedly on-topic, civil forum, exactly how many threads discussing another, now removed, thread that was removed for turning ugly do we actually need?

Oh well.
:idk:

Anyhow, thanks to those who "get it".

I was caught off gaurd by his post too... I wondered if maybe he was confused on who is who? I've never seen him post anything like that.

• Moderators
I figured there was some bad blood between Actionsquid and Vanlatte. It did seem to come out of nowhere.

In like eight years, I don't think we've ever had any issues. Serious WTF factor...
:idk:

Yes, I deleted his parody thread of "that thread" because (again) we don't really need more than one thread about "that thread"... do we? Some people get really pissed at having their threads deleted, I've noticed, but seriously, as this is a mostly on-topic forum sometimes I'm gonna make a judgement call and get out the clippers. I regret that a veteran member here could not respect or understand that or whatever. (or even just ASK me why!)

Oh well, he's valued here and after his time is up I hope he'll let it go and come back.

• Members

I imagine that rhat's on his way to his new digs and probably won't be posting for a day or so. He may be an egotistical so-and-so, but I hope his move goes well and he comes back a little less stressed.

Either that or the lulz will recommence upon his return.

• Members
So the Festival Of Hate continues...on new threads! What a sad little bunch you guys are.

Based on your posts, the consensus seems to be......500 posts later: That I am delusional to my musical shortcomings, out of touch to my own ability...and that I need to get educated on what fine guitar playing really is...and that I am egotistical.

Yeah ok...so post your original guitar playing and educate me. The same thing I have said from the very beginning. It's not about my music being good, its about guys not being able to compare with what I am playing.....you can't throw barbs and insults if you can't play....You should drop in on other forums where they have to post music...everyone is really civil and the posers just lurk.

Do you think I am over at the Licks Library calling out Steve Vai and Satriani? Do you think I am on Guitar War telling everyone how much they suck....of course not....these guys can actually play....and I can tell you..that all this bull{censored} of 'gee there I was in the trenches for 30 years' stops when people see you can't play...

Rhat had it right about me trolling...5 minutes of listening to guys posing as pros but not giving up the goods, had me doing Star Trek impersonations, making jokes, and egging you on...logical rational discussion went out the door as soon as you guys knew that I had your number.... Look..no one gives a {censored} if you played the bars for 30 years, or even if you toured with a major rock band....let's hear what your doing...this is a music forum.

Do you wanna know how i know this?...Years of playing blues jams...playing with hundreds of players...and trust me...very few people have the stones to put their skills up against another...I did two King of the blues Competitions....any surprise that some of the better players in the area looking for exposure, didn't show up?....and then it dawned me...some guys crack under pressure, they can't play on demand, rehearsed studio queens that can only do their own stuff....and probably most importantly...they can't improvise over a common musical genre....head cutting is the hardest playing you will ever do, and that's why I do it...that's why the big boys do it...if you don't believe me, tell the G3 boys and Crossroad's Stars how you feel....

So instead of me picking on the music of cooter, who's only dangerous to a box of donuts.. or sad little Guido...I went for the prize...Bluestrat....

I have listened to his music, he's damn good... ... the only real criticism I have of his music, is that he picked the wrong genre to get stuck into...that SRV/Robert Cray style, which I like...never let's you leave bar gig hell. Blue was a full timer, he wanted to make it...and when 80s metal was big.., he didn't move over....when grunge hit..., he didn't budge, ...when country got huge...he didn't roll with it...so he's swinging a hammer and chasing down bar owners on the hopes that people still want to listen to his brand of Strat through a Twin Reverb SRV bar gig inspired blues music. if he had half a brain he would know where to go with his talent and make 6 figures a year..so maybe he's stupid, maybe he's got a drug problem, maybe he's clueless...it doesn't matter, he can now join all the other ranks of serious musicians that made horrible career choices, now lamenting that if they couldn't make it...no body else will..

Another thing that you guys don't get...if I do 80s metal and Bluestrat does Robert Cray...does that mean he's better then me? We got 8 year old kids on Youtube doing Racer X and 2 hand tapping...Blue can't do that...but I don't hold that against him...he's good at what he does...the kid is good at what he does....but don't try to convince me Bluestrat is 'better', when that kid makes it on Leno and Bluestrat is playing Joes Biker Bar...

EVH doesn't do Spanish Classical guitar...nor does Clapton do Death metal...so the argument will rage on who's the best ..with everyrone playing different genres, I would think you guys would know that 'good' is relative to the genre...I don't play pop covers, nor Cray inspired bar blues...I do high energy blues inspired rock...if EVH tried to take down Gary Moore and Jeff Healy on Red House, that's the world I live in......

That's why I posted up a Red House and my blues rock inspired creation...That's common ground..that's what is played on G3 tours, and Clapton Crossroads Jams...if you can't hang with that...your just hiding out..and you'll never get up to show off against the big boys.... so sit back and watch...but stop the whining.

Go listen to G3s Red House on Youtube, then listen to mine...then tell me just how much I suck...Malmsteen killed the other guys...he's the {censored}....he could crush me with the sweat off his balls.......and while I know this...I am good enough to get up there and be in the game.....I wouldn't embarrass myself...because most every night I hang with 'pro' players, out here in the real world putting my skills up against theirs......I know how I hang on a blues jam...

No go run off and get me banned because your tender little butt holes have been penetrated by 10 inches of truth and reality...best you all stay here in this dark little corner of the internet and hide behind Anonymous Avatars where it's safe...

I'm heading back over to lick library....bye Posers...

Your's Truly,

Guitarflyer....

PS...if you miss me so much, then talk to the mod...

PSSST.

The 80's ended 20 years ago dood.

LOL

Rock on, wizard. :rawk:

BTW, that G3 version of "Red House" sucks balls, especially Yngwie's mindless swept arpeggios. :bor:

But hey, glad to hear you are experiencing a deep love for all things shred: 25 years after the fact. LOL LOL LOL.

Been there done that.

{censored} Yngwie: he's good, but if you want real shred go listen to Shawn Lane or Paul Gilbert, or even Allan Holdsworth.

• Members
PSSST.

The 80's ended 20 years dood.

LOL

Rock on, wizard.
:rawk:

Amazing huh? He actually seems to think that they only reason anybody thinks Pat is a better player than him is a difference in style, that his "80's rock" recording is akin to EVH taking down Gary Moore on "Red House", and that he'd "be in the game and not embarrass himself" in a jam with Malmsteem.

:facepalm:

Really, you couldn't make this stuff up, could you?

• Members
Amazing huh? He actually seems to think that they only reason anybody thinks Pat is a better player than him is a difference in style, that his "80's rock" recording is akin to EVH taking down Gary Moore on "Red House", and that he'd "be in the game and not embarrass himself" in a jam with Malmsteem.

:facepalm:

Really, you couldn't make this stuff up, could you?

No, it's really blowing my mind, badly.

This guy is more immature and rabid than I was at age 16 in the 80's heyday....god...

And I had "marching out" on vinyl; I could hum damn near every note of the solo from "Disciples from Hell" even if I couldn't play it....

I knew a dude that could rip any and all Yngwie licks by ear within a few months of hearing the stuff for the first time - no tabs, videos or lessons needed. And no no doubt thousands and thousands of others my age in the 80's had similar experiences.

Holy {censored}, Gary Moore even - actually one of my fave players from that day.

That's funny too because I was fixin' to post a really nasty rough rendition of me playing a little Gary Moore lick that I learned when I was 18. But I realized I don't play that lick anywhere near as well now as I did then - need a little more practice.

may still do it anyway just for lulz. "Competition" guitar just makes me laugh anymore, so {censored}ing played out.

• Members

"Competition" guitar just makes me laugh anymore,

This movie must have had a profound effect on him. 1986, IIRC.

But I still like this one, which I posted earlier.

And speaking of Gary Moore, wonder how he managed working out the changes to this:

(FWIW, It has four times as many views as Red House.)

• Members
This movie must have had a profound effect on him. 1986, IIRC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CAJtu2nHLw

But I still like this one, which I posted earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f64XZRRs0jA

And speaking of Gary Moore, wonder how he managed working out the changes to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O_YMLDvvnw

(FWIW, It has four times as many views as Red House.)

That blues jam hated me when I went in there playing Gary Moore style licks over "Sweet Home Chicago" (with the same over-saturated tone, thanks to a Proco Rat and 18v active pickups and a Gibson Explorer - BROOTAL BLOOZ) :facepalm:

Can't say I blame em. :lol:

• Members
So instead of me picking on the music of cooter, who's only dangerous to a box of donuts.. or sad little Guido...I went for the prize...Bluestrat....

I have listened to his music, he's damn good... ... the only real criticism I have of his music, is that he picked the wrong genre to get stuck into...that SRV/Robert Cray style, which I like...never let's you leave bar gig hell. Blue was a full timer, he wanted to make it...and when 80s metal was big.., he didn't move over....when grunge hit..., he didn't budge, ...when country got huge...he didn't roll with it...so he's swinging a hammer and chasing down bar owners on the hopes that people still want to listen to his brand of Strat through a Twin Reverb SRV bar gig inspired blues music. if he had half a brain he would know where to go with his talent and make 6 figures a year..so maybe he's stupid, maybe he's got a drug problem, maybe he's clueless...it doesn't matter, he can now join all the other ranks of serious musicians that made horrible career choices, now lamenting that if they couldn't make it...no body else will..

Another thing that you guys don't get...if I do 80s metal and Bluestrat does Robert Cray...does that mean he's better then me? We got 8 year old kids on Youtube doing Racer X and 2 hand tapping...Blue can't do that...but I don't hold that against him...he's good at what he does...the kid is good at what he does....but don't try to convince me Bluestrat is 'better', when that kid makes it on Leno and Bluestrat is playing Joes Biker Bar...

Well, Tim, since I'm sure you're lurking here, I'll explain it to you. Not that there's a hope in hell you'll get it, but here goes anyway...this might be long, so apologies, but I have to give you the full albeit condensed picture so maybe you'll quit making assumptions about me based on speculation.

I have played 80s rock, back in the 80s. When I started out playing, at age 14 in 1969, I was into blues, rock and folk. I started on acoustic guitar and learned stuff by James Taylor, Kris Kristofferson, Hoyt Axton, CSN, etc etc. I picked up electric guitar in 1970, and got into John Mayall, BB King, Elmore James, Allman Bros, Freddie King, and so on. I also got into other stuff, and when I was 16, I joined my first band. We played a lot of Sabbath, James Gang, Deep Purple, etc. Later I moved on to college and played bands that did Rory Gallagher, Allmans, DP, Santana, and lots more. I later played in country bands, rock bands, disco bands, lounge bands, whatever t took to get paid. It made me a better player, and I learned somethiung valuable from every style I played.
In 1980, I joined a full time road band. We rented a house, rehearsed 6-8 hours a day for three weeks and hit the road with 60 songs. We did everything from Van Halen to Toto to John Cougar to Cheap Trick. Later, our agent convinced us to become a county rock band (Urban Cowboy, baby!) During that time, we had some success- made a vinyl album on an independent label, mad a video, got airplay here and there. Nothing earth shaking. But we did make our living, and not a bad one, for a few years. And we did get to open for Robert Cray, when he was just a regional guy playing the same bars we did, and it made me realize how much I missed doing blues and how much my soul was tied up in it. in 1983, I quit to that band to get married, and to go to LA at the request of a friend living down there to audition for a band showcasing for labels. I told him I'd come down in July (it was March then) and he said that was perfect timing. So my new bride and I sold nearly everything, packed up what was left, and headed for LA. But when I got there, turns out they had just hired another guy, and I was out of the picture. I auditioned for another band, with some really good players, some of whom had been on TV and others had done studio work on albums for big stars. But they were doing this mind-numbingly fluffy 'original' stuff trying to tap into the Cyndi Lauper/ Madonna/ Thompson Twins
Aha/ Haircut 100/ABC stuff, and it was killing my spirit, so I declined. At that time, SRV had just hit the scene, and I was smitten with it.

I decided I hated the music business where it was at: no one wanted to be in a band, they all wanted to be in several projects and commit to none. They were all either looking to write formula pop or be a hair metal glam band. I was way past that stage of my life, and didn't fancy wearing makeup, Spandex or paying 500 bucks to buy tickets to sell to play the Whiskey or the Troubador. My wife got pregnant with our first, and I said to hell with it, moved to San Diego and put my gear in the closet. I decided to learn a trade and support family, which I did. I went into construction.

After 7 years and two more kids in Cal, when the economy took a dump in 1990, we decided to move back home to north Idaho. I got a job with a home builder and was happy, until I broke my knee falling off an icy top plate on a framing job. I decided to put a small band together to help pay some bills. Blues was the hot commodity here in 1990, so I didn't have any trouble finding good players and I didn't have any trouble getting gigs. After a year, one of the biggest bands in town (a 7 piece horn band) asked me to take the place of their retiring guitar player/singer. I jumped on it. I had never played with a horn section, and found it inspiring. I wrote a slew of songs, and we made a CD. It got favorably reviewed by two national mags, got airplay in Seattle, Portland, San Diego, Kentucky, Illinois, New York and in Europe. We started getting invites to play festivals. After 7 years in that band, it had gone as far as it was going to and I went out on my own. I had a 6 piece horn band, and made 3 more CDs. Again, I got nice reviews in natioal mags, and got picked up by a regional agent. We did lots of festivals, concerts, events and so on. In 2003, we played every weekend, sometimes 3 gigs, from April through September in a 500 mile radius. Only 3 of those gigs were in bars, and one was out of town and paid mus 1500 and rooms and meals for one night.

Then, in 2004, things started to change. I was doing well in my area, but I knew I had to move on if I was to carry on. I couldn't play as many events and concerts in such a small area for too many years in a row. That's when I met Lucky Peterson.

Lucky had played a club in my town, and since I was a big fan and recorded one of his songs, the club owner invited me to see him and introduced us. Lucky likes the version of his song I did, and invited me to sit in with him. One or two songs turned into 2-1/2 sets. He liked what I did, and I was thrilled and humbles to be asked to play.

A year later, he came back and asked the club owner if I was available and could I come and play the night with him. Since he's a monster on guitar and keyboard, he played keys all night. I was in heaven.

After the gig, we chatted. He told me he thought I could do it, but I had to make a decision. I couldn't stay local and go national. Just wasn't going to happen. He explained that in the blues world, age wasn't a liability but not traveling was. And I looked at him, having 8 or 9 albums out, nominated for Grammy awards, playing keys for people like Aretha and Etta James and lots of other heavies in the blues world, and here he was, driving from town to town in a rented minivan pulling a trailer full of gear playing a lot of the same clubs I was, for not much more money, 300 nights a year. And I tried to imagine me leaving my home and wife and kids at age 49 and hitting the road again, and it just wasn't for me. I made that decision- no one else did. I walked away from it, on my own terms. Could I have 'made it' in the blues scene? Maybe, in the same way guys like Tinsley Ellis or Rusty Zinn or any number of guys no one outside of the blues scene has ever heard of. Or maybe not. But it just wasn't for me.

At this point in my life, I realize that I have had more success than tons of other guys have had, and that's good enough for me. Now, well into my 50s, I play as much as I want, ride my motorcycle not as much as I want, spend time with my wife and grown kids, and live my life the way I want. I have no regrets about my decisions in music. If I have any regrets at all, it's not getting my degree and establishing a career where I could earn better money, good benefits, and be able to retire. Currently, I'll never be able to retire, because I put all my eggs in the musician basket for far too long. But it was my choice and I'll live with it.

Sorry it's so long winded, but I hope this clears it up for you.:wave:

Archived